• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

I would say that Zaha has done more to prove that he will be a success in the Premier League than Lamela had at the time we signed him (and indeed in the years since) and Lamela cost twice as much as the £15 million that was plucked out of the air.

That line of argument can be used to say any player who has played in the prem has shown more suitability to the league than any player yet to play here so isn't really saying much/anything is it?

Id dispute Zaha has shown much more than Lamela in the prem, a cursory look in terms of goals and creativity has Zaha ahead in goals and behind in creativity (best seasons) for a player that is his sides focal point that doesn't really stand out to me - i think were we to sign him he'd be a plan b to give us a different approach in certain situations (similar to how Lamela is seen in the squad now, albeit for different circumstances) which means he's now valued far too high for what he'd add.

Martial a younger player who has shown as much as Zaha if not more, makes much more sense - especially with the values attached to both.

Last edited:
Trouble is it’s not that funny.
I can understand Palace don’t want to sell him and maybe 70 is just an arbitrary fudge off figure!

Maybe your right and it will work because i can not see anyone paying that for him, he is a star in a poor team and that is one of the reasons he is noticed so much. Put him in a team with other stars and i doubt he would get that much hype, but we shall see.

Palace sold Bolasie to Everton for £30M before transfer fees went crazy - at that time they put a bigger value on Zaha, so unreasonable or not they have been consistent with the high valuation.

I see the logic that I would rather have Zaha than Mahrez so the fees should be similar - stupid money, not sure if the (global) market is inflated at the moment or this is the new normal. Some of the fees being demanded by Italian teams seem crazy and Fred to Man U for ~£50M he has 8 caps.

That line of argument can be used to say any player who has played in the prem has shown more suitability to the league than any player yet to play here so isn't really saying much/anything is it?

Id dispute Zaha has shown much more than Lamela in the prem, a cursory look in terms of goals and creativity has Zaha ahead in goals and behind in creativity (best seasons) for a player that is his sides focal point that doesn't really stand out to me - i think were we to sign him he'd be a plan b to give us a different approach in certain situations (similar to how Lamela is seen in the squad now, albeit for different circumstances) which means he's now valued far too high for what he'd add.

Martial a younger player who has shown as much as Zaha if not more, makes much more sense - especially with the values attached to both.

I wouldn't trade Lamela for Zaha. Zaha has been the #1 striker for his club and yet, in the last 4 seasons, he has 1 (yes, fudging 1) more goal than Lamela in that same period (with Lamela being out for what? close to 15 months?)

Zaha at 40M is having a fudging laugh. People really need to stop watching highlight reels and watch real numbers, guy didn't even get 10 goals in PL this season (at 25 going on 26, he's not going to significantly improve). He's a 1 in 5 (almost 6) striker over most of his career, he's not in the top 20 goalscorers in the PL this season, literally wtf?

Kane, Son, Dele,, Eriksen all put out better numbers than Zaha, Lamela is pretty much equal with more assists, and Lucas has vastly outscored him in other leagues.

Because he's brick and no club is going to anything close to what Palace is asking for him ...
But he could agitate for a move, go on strike etc. We've seen it happen to our best players before, as a top 4 challenging club

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

But he could agitate for a move, go on strike etc. We've seen it happen to our best players before, as a top 4 challenging club

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Fapatalk

He's not going to do that to his boyhood club having gone back there and doing well after his poor time at United - would look a right clown shoe

Big fish in a little pond?

He wouldnt get in the starting 11 for any top 6 team at the moment so might actually be better for him - stay at Palace, probably extract hefty wages from him, and then if he improves further then try his luck at a top team again when he's more experienced. I wouldnt mind betting that had he not already moved to a top 6 team once, and failed, then he might be agitating more for a move now

Funny that the journo seems to be basing his £70m mark on the fact that Palace supposedly value him the same as Mahrez.

Mahrez's £75m fee is such because the suitor is Emirates Marketing Project. If he was looking to go to Arsenal the fee would probably be near £50m.

You can always add an extra £10-20m to the fee when City or Chelski come sniffing.

Or because Mahrez is a quality player who was instrumental in taking his team to the title and won player of the year as well, far more than Zaha has done although different circumstances.

Zaha has been the #1 striker for his club and yet, in the last 4 seasons, he has 1 (yes, fudging 1) more goal than Lamela

Zaha ......didn't even get 10 goals in PL this season (at 25 going on 26, he's not going to significantly improve). He's a 1 in 5 (almost 6) striker over most of his career, he's not in the top 20 goalscorers in the PL this season, literally wtf?

Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen all put out better numbers than Zaha, Lamela is pretty much equal with more assists, and Lucas has vastly outscored him in other leagues.

Good post Razza, the numbers don't stack up for Zazza

To be fair Keita is a year late rather than early

Yeah but at least they had him signed up for this season. How many clubs would have simply walked away after not being able to bring him in last summer and waited till now to finalise the deal, thus risking other teams hijacking the deal.

Yeah but at least they had him signed up for this season. How many clubs would have simply walked away after not being able to bring him in last summer and waited till now to finalise the deal, thus risking other teams hijacking the deal.

We've got Alli
Dele Alli
I just don't fink you understand
He only cost 5 mil
And we loaned him back to MK Dons and then he came back the next season and turned into a player so fudging superior to Ozil
We've got Dele Alli

More importantly they are getting their business done early. That's Keita already signed, now Fabinho and Fekir too.

It’s something we can only dream of doing as we stutter to dropped points in the opening weeks.

On Zaha - I would take him - means we have another player with pace and can play across the front 3/4

Back