• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

I said earlier this season that i hoped that Kaboul, Vertonghen, Caulker and Dawson would be our four CB's for next season, and it looks like that is going to be the way.

They had the ball... Am I the only one annoyed about people talking about high pressing/high defensive lines without actually differentiating between attacking and defending?

1. Most teams push high up the pitch when attacking. Leaving your defenders deep in your own half only gives the opponents all the space in the world to control the ball and start a counter attack when they win the ball and no way to play offside.

2. When you lose possession as the last man it really doesn't help you to be closer to your own goal (having a deeper "defensive" line).

Remember Cahill getting sent off for Bolton against us? Although wrongly sent off imo he lost the ball as the last man almost at the half way line and that's what got him into that trouble. Yet you didn't hear people going on about how Owen Coyle got it wrong by playing his defensive line too high up the pitch. Yet for some reason, because AVB played a high line and got a lot of flak from the press almost every goal they conceded got linked to their high defensive line, even those that had nothing to do with that (again imo).

Either there is something here I don't get that someone will have to explain to me or I will start a "what exactly is a high defensive line" thread one of these days.

Terry was the only defender! I thought that full backs were taught to cover for a centre half if he goes forward for a set piece/to get a late goal?

Terry was the only defender! I thought that full backs were taught to cover for a centre half if he goes forward for a set piece/to get a late goal?

He was the last man... That's what last man means, the player furthest back.

Chelsea had possession and were attacking against a team defending fairly deeply, of course their "defensive line" was high.

There will always be someone who is the furthest back and if a poor pass is played to him and he slips while being put under pressure the opponents will most likely be through on goal...

He was the last man... That's what last man means, the player furthest back.

Chelsea had possession and were attacking against a team defending fairly deeply, of course their "defensive line" was high.

There will always be someone who is the furthest back and if a poor pass is played to him and he slips while being put under pressure the opponents will most likely be through on goal...

I know what last man means, but there wasn't another defender in sight! I know they needed a goal, but only leaving 1 defender is suicide!

I know what last man means, but there wasn't another defender in sight! I know they needed a goal, but only leaving 1 defender is suicide!

This happens regularly with most teams and certainly with any team that aim to play out from the back. The man furthest back gets a pass under pressure and either plays it to another outfield player, back to his goalie or he hoofs it. This time the pass to Terry was poor and he slipped and somehow it got blamed on the high defensive line cause that was what the press were having a go at AVB for at the time.

They didn't leave just one defender either, someone played the pass to him and was less than 10 yards away I think.

Again, see my Cahill at Bolton example. Same brick, poor work on the ball by defenders/midfielders when attacking. Nothing to do with defensive line.

Not saying that their defensive line wasn't a problem at times last season, but this wasn't one of those cases.

What level do we expect Caulker to reach?

I personally don't see him being up there with the Campbells, Kings, Ferdinands of the world but see him more of the step down Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka level?

I personally don't see him being up there with the Campbells, Kings, Ferdinands of the world but see him more of the step down Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka level?

I haven't seen enough of him to judge whether he can be as good as King or not. But perhaps just a notch down from the level of King.

Expect... I expect him to become at least a very solid PL defender, so Lescott level perhaps.

I think he has the potential to become even better, up there with the best of them. To get there though he obviously has to improve in a lot of areas. He has a lot of things going for him though, no real weaknesses as far as I can tell. Tall and strong, but also quite quick, good on the ball and composed. Seems to be good at positioning and reading play already and a pretty good tackler. A fairly rare combination in someone so young. If he wasn't already a Spurs player I would be very happy to see us spend a lot of money to bring him to Spurs based on all that potential. If he can fulfill that potential is impossible to know imo.

definitely better than what we have right now. i'd really think he could stand alongside the campbells, kings and ferdinands at the end of his career. he's not as naturally gifted as the above mentioned, but his fundamental ball-skill training would take him very far. recall king was on par with gardner until after his extended stint as a DM. compared to this, caulker's got a head start playing under rodgers in a very modern system as a first-team regular for swansea.

Caulker

What an outstanding player! Sure, still needs to move his bearings and his position sense a couple of notches - which will come with experience - but what a prospect!

If nothing else, we FINALLY have someone who can deal with aerial crosses and...

for the first time in living memory, we actually pose a threat at set pieces. An unfairly disallowed goal mid week, an assist today as well as a couple of other headers won.

The King is gone, long live the Caulk!

Re: Caulker

Vertonghen is our new King. Caulker is our new Sol, if you want to look at it that way. Not in the morally bankrupt sense of the comparison, but in the sense that while Vertonghen is wonderfully gifted techincally and seems to glide around the pitch, Caulker is much more of a beast; Strong, great in the air and bullies anyone who comes up against him, along with his ability to put his body in the line of fire time after time.

pretty sure dawson and kaboul could deal with ariel crosses too

in all honesty i never pictured caulker as having it as one of his strengths

We should be playing Caulker and Vertonghan as our first choice CB pairing whilst Kaboul is out. I think both are playing better than Gallas at the moment

He impressed me last season so I knew he ws ready to be part of our first team squad. Now I would pick him ahead of Gallas.

Vertonghen is our new King. Caulker is our new Sol, if you want to look at it that way. Not in the morally bankrupt sense of the comparison, but in the sense that while Vertonghen is wonderfully gifted techincally and seems to glide around the pitch, Caulker is much more of a beast; Strong, great in the air and bullies anyone who comes up against him, along with his ability to put his body in the line of fire time after time.

=D>

Well put. I like the cut of your jib Sir!

Back