• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Caulker

How do you propose we develop him?

If we can only 'afford' to offer him EL/cup games then what development will he get improved upon regular premiership games?

Swanseas style is fairly well established, I wouldnt mind him going back there for a year.
In truth I wouldnt mind him playing a season in a flat 442 - he can adapt to our system (and is obviously well suited) anytime - Im looking for the authority that comes with experience first...

Erm.. what is our system at the moment? :lol:

Last edited:
Like us, Swansea won't be playing 4-4-2 this season. Hardly anyone left that does that now.

Like us, Swansea won't be playing 4-4-2 this season. Hardly anyone left that does that now.

4-4-2 will come back into fashion one day.....all it will take is for one team to employ that formation and be successful with it, then other teams will follow and it will be in trend again

Ryan Mason, Caulker and a few others, including my cousin, have just got back from Ibiza. I hear a bit of gossip regularly from our youth players but wouldn't dream of putting it in an ITK thread as people take the tinkle. Just what I was told.

Cheers for sharing.

If true I'm guessing Caulker would be very happy with that.

Based upon Chelsea and Porto an aggressive high pressing game with defenders pushed up to squeeze play, ball on the decks....

Not too high though, remember the goal Arsenal scored against Chelsea were Terry slipped? How high up the pitch were they!!! Plus it was just him, even the full backs had fudged off and left him to it.

Not too high though, remember the goal Arsenal scored against Chelsea were Terry slipped? How high up the pitch were they!!! Plus it was just him, even the full backs had fudged off and left him to it.

They had the ball... Am I the only one annoyed about people talking about high pressing/high defensive lines without actually differentiating between attacking and defending?

1. Most teams push high up the pitch when attacking. Leaving your defenders deep in your own half only gives the opponents all the space in the world to control the ball and start a counter attack when they win the ball and no way to play offside.

2. When you lose possession as the last man it really doesn't help you to be closer to your own goal (having a deeper "defensive" line).

Remember Cahill getting sent off for Bolton against us? Although wrongly sent off imo he lost the ball as the last man almost at the half way line and that's what got him into that trouble. Yet you didn't hear people going on about how Owen Coyle got it wrong by playing his defensive line too high up the pitch. Yet for some reason, because AVB played a high line and got a lot of flak from the press almost every goal they conceded got linked to their high defensive line, even those that had nothing to do with that (again imo).

Either there is something here I don't get that someone will have to explain to me or I will start a "what exactly is a high defensive line" thread one of these days.

All I was talking about RE high line was when we have the ball the defenders push up the pitch to condense the playing area/get more numbers of players into an area...

All I was talking about RE high line was when we have the ball the defenders push up the pitch to condense the playing area/get more numbers of players into an area...

But by definition all players push up past the last man...

There was a problem there, but it was (again imo) the attempt at playing patiently from the back with slightly too risky short passes with players not quite able to pull that off. I think we will see similar things from our team this season, some of our players need to improve their passing quite a bit. Hopefully it will be worth it though as it will give us more possession and mean fewer long balls forward.

Happy if he's been told he's 3rd choice.. Makes me wonder who the 1st and 2nd are.. Kaboul is clearly one, I hope the other is Vertonghen...

Happy if he's been told he's 3rd choice.. Makes me wonder who the 1st and 2nd are.. Kaboul is clearly one, I hope the other is Vertonghen...

Hmmm... I know Dawson isn't exactly a classic AVB-type player, but I doubt he'll be happy to be told he's fourth choice behind Caulker.

Hmmm... I know Dawson isn't exactly a classic AVB-type player, but I doubt he'll be happy to be told he's fourth choice behind Caulker.

Seeing as he's injured he'll have to fight his way back into the team anyway. Hopefully he can play some cup matches once he's back. Key for him is to get back to 100% fitness, then he can assess his future.

Back