• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serious question

Suarez, I want that type of striker.. like Tevez. Gives you 100% desire, and happens to be brilliant. I would snap the hand of Emirates Marketing Project if we could get Tevez, and he wanted to stay in the UK.

Another like it is PSG's Lavezzi, might be available, as I am damn sure if I was playing in France I would be quiting that country because of the 75% tax rate.. overnight there take home has halved. IMO Ibrahimovic will join City in the summer.

You did everything but answer the question?lol

Isn't context the point re the racist/not racist debate?

The word nose isn't racist, but if you goaded a Jewish person by repeating the word nose to them in a derogatory tone, then you are being racist...same applies to the word gas, or Hitler, or Nazi - none of which are racist words and may be terms of endearment in Croatia for all I know, but the fact is that when used inappropriately they are most definitely racist

I accept that the word negrito may not be racist if used in the right context, but I doubt chewy suarez was using it as a term of endearment.

@vk17 - are you suggesting that suarez was being friendly?

vkn17..................you asked a question, but expected everyone to agree with you. It doesn't work like that.

Only other poster on GG I can think of who does that is some bloke called.....................Crawley :oops:

I knew it wasn't a good idea to start talking about the Evra incident! It was not my intention to make everyone agreeing with me. I was just giving my opinion. I'll know better next time!

What I'm trying to say is that just because it's seen as affectionate to call someone darkie in a few backward countries doesn't mean it isn't racist.

It's racist in this country yes, and you're saying that because you have not been brought up with the word around you. The word is as racist here as it's not racist there, simple as. I guess we have different interpretations of it. I'm talking from my own experiences otherwise I would have never mentioned it in the first place.

Holy brick, didn't realise that is was going to cause a huge stir.

Isn't context the point re the racist/not racist debate?

The word nose isn't racist, but if you goaded a Jewish person by repeating the word nose to them in a derogatory tone, then you are being racist...same applies to the word gas, or Hitler, or Nazi - none of which are racist words and may be terms of endearment in Croatia for all I know, but the fact is that when used inappropriately they are most definitely racist

I accept that the word negrito may not be racist if used in the right context, but I doubt chewy suarez was using it as a term of endearment.

@vk17 - are you suggesting that suarez was being friendly?

Firstly, as far as I remember there is no evidence that Suarez called him anything. I'm not suggesting he was friendly or not friendly, I'm saying that negrito has nothing to do with racism in a mind of a South American that's all. The word is not only used towards dark skinned people, it's just as used for white people.
Since the whole story is based on rumours, it's been suggested that Evra called Suarez sudaca which is a million times worse.

I think its pretty obvious what Suarez was saying and you don't call someone by an affectionate nickname time 7 times, especially when you're currently involved in a petty 90 minute spat/ argument etc. Moreover, I find it hard to believe that in his time at Liverpool, Suarez didn't once refer to Johnson or any of the other black players in Liverpool's squad as Negro in a 'playful way', where he would have, without doubt, had it explained to him that this isn't done in the UK.

I don't think Suarez is a racist. But I do think he used a word that he thought would rile Evra up.

Anyway, in terms of ability, of course you'd take him, he's the 2nd or perhaps 3rd best striker in the league. He has an insatiable desire to win.

However, this is also a bit of a negative in him. He will do literally anything to win; dirty challenges, diving, kicking, biting, appealing even when it is him that has committed the foul. I think your hypothetical is interesting but it is also a dream because you cannot get Suarez the player without the utter taco he becomes on the pitch. I do not think I could defend (or would want to defend) Suarez if he played for Spurs.

7 times? First time I hear this. Is this according to Evra?

Unless any of us now any Liverpool players, it's impossible to know if Suarez called anyone else negrito. What we do know is that Pachecho did.

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Johnson-Pacheco-Twitter.png

I agree on the rest of your reply. My question was definitely a dream with Suarez staying away from trouble. I was thinking more of his qualities as a football player than his negative antics on the pitch.

As I said, if he behaves I wouldn't have a problem with him. This whole biting incident has been blown way out of proportion but whatever. I'm not defending his actions and what he did has no place in football, but had it been an English player (Defoe for example) no action would have been taken.

Why do you ask a question and then argue with anyone who gives you an answer you don't like?

Why do you ask a question and then argue with anyone who gives you an answer you don't like?

You just quoted my opinion.

I like all the answers. It's a forum, people discuss and give their views on things. Capisce?

It's racist in this country yes, and you're saying that because you have not been brought up with the word around you. The word is as racist here as it's not racist there, simple as. I guess we have different interpretations of it. I'm talking from my own experiences otherwise I would have never mentioned it in the first place.

what ethnicity are you if you dont mind my asking.

Firstly, as far as I remember there is no evidence that Suarez called him anything. I'm not suggesting he was friendly or not friendly, I'm saying that negrito has nothing to do with racism in a mind of a South American that's all. The word is not only used towards dark skinned people, it's just as used for white people.
Since the whole story is based on rumours, it's been suggested that Evra called Suarez sudaca which is a million times worse.

i'm leaving this thing alone

Last edited:

Haha, it's cool, I completely understand where you're coming from. As you say, my viewpoint derives from my upbringing and environment but it's my opinion that referring to someone as 'negrito' is racist no matter where you are in the world and no matter the intention.

People in this country look back with disdain at words we 'innocently' used only decades ago to describe black people. Hopefully future generations of the Spanish-speaking world will feel the same way about this one.

Taking Suarez would be one of the biggest own goals the club could do.

He is toxic for the dressing room, club image and actually when you look at him would not be worth the hassle given that he often is not clinical when you need him to be (so just like our current set of strikers then..)

Hatricks against Norwich and Wigan cannot hide the fact he misses far too many chances and often is wasteful at the crucial times

Confessions are usually pretty solid evidence. Suarez admitted that he called Evra 'Negrito' a number of times, what more evidence then that do you really need?

Adebayor situation was similar. We hated him, then last season loved him, now heading back to hating him again.

Football is a fickle game. Can't believe people are saying Tevez is the sort of guy we need but Suarez isn't. Both are mercenary but amazing players.

I'd take either of them to be honest but I'd like another taller striker to be bought as well. Better still get Cavani and fcuk the rest of them.

Haha, it's cool, I completely understand where you're coming from. As you say, my viewpoint derives from my upbringing and environment but it's my opinion that referring to someone as 'negrito' is racist no matter where you are in the world and no matter the intention.

People in this country look back with disdain at words we 'innocently' used only decades ago to describe black people. Hopefully future generations of the Spanish-speaking world will feel the same way about this one.

Yeah I completely agree. I immigrated to Sweden in 92 and my best friends sometimes call me "blatte" sometimes which is a very offensive and an actual racist word. If we have any Scandinavian posters on here, I'm sure that they'll confirm. Obviously I know that they're not racist and saying it in the heat of the moment or even as a joke. I never took offence but that's just me. I'm sure that plenty of people would - everyone is different.

Negrito is a word that's present in every day life in South America and can be used towards any ethnicity so I doubt it is going to disappear as it's not used for racist purposes. But that's a different story.

Confessions are usually pretty solid evidence. Suarez admitted that he called Evra 'Negrito' a number of times, what more evidence then that do you really need?

Again, even if he did, I've tried to express my opinion of the word in this thread to my best knowledge. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and my intention was only to post my own views and discuss. Never meant to offend/tinkle anyone off.

I think that we kind of got off the track on the topic, when asking the question, I thought of his football qualities rather than his bad side.

Adebayor situation was similar. We hated him, then last season loved him, now heading back to hating him again.

Football is a fickle game. Can't believe people are saying Tevez is the sort of guy we need but Suarez isn't. Both are mercenary but amazing players.

I'd take either of them to be honest but I'd like another taller striker to be bought as well. Better still get Cavani and fcuk the rest of them.

I believe that Suarez has a similar if not better work rate than Tevez. Both are obviously amazing players who would drastically improve our strike force but we don't stand a chance getting either one. Cavani would be great too -we can always dream!

Does anyone know how Coulibaly is progressing and has anyone seen Lazar Markovic from Partizan Belgrade play? A huge talent that looks to sign for Chelsea this summer unfortunately.

Back