• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

Was Aurier really THAT bad today?

Yeah... don't think he was. Lowlights:

- Final ball was pretty bad - hit first man on about 4 or 5 occasions.
- Hat trick of foul throws, schoolboy, absolute amateur hour.
- His miss, pretty bad.

But other than that, he had his flank on lock-down defensively all match, forced Hennessy into a really good save with a powerful shot, and made a great saving challenge in penalty area (about the only time Palace threatened all game).

I mean, this was a very hit and miss performance from Aurier, probably a 5/10 at best... but not an absolute catastrophe. I'd argue he was worse against Juve for example.

What about the other two? :) If I was 13 years old and I made 3 fouls throws in the same game my old man would have torn me a new one. How does someone get to become a professional footballer and not know how to throw a ball? It’s not a huge issue but it’s such a basic skill that every footballer in the world should be able to do it blindfolded.

The officials jumped on it, but you see a lot of foul throw go unpunished.
Not that that's an excuse of course and it's something that will need to be sorted because much like Dele with the "diving"they will be looking for it.

The officials jumped on it, but you see a lot of foul throw go unpunished.
Not that that's an excuse of course and it's something that will need to be sorted because much like Dele with the "diving"they will be looking for it.

You are right that foul throws happen but you don't often see the same player committing multiple foul throws in one match. Just keep your feet on the floor, put the ball behind your head and release. It's not a difficult concept. He's a full back, that position requires you to take a the majority of throw-ins.

You are right that foul throws happen but you don't often see the same player committing multiple foul throws in one match. Just keep your feet on the floor, put the ball behind your head and release. It's not a difficult concept. He's a full back, that position requires you to take a the majority of throw-ins.

Agree with this and @glasgowspur comments but was worrying was he didn’t appear to realise what he was doing wrong

Worse debut season since Kevin prince Boatang. Like him I am sure he can play in a top league some where in Europe and I will make the same offer to the club that I did when the Prince played for us, that I will drive him there myself.

I thought the days of Gary Doherty types playing for us were long gone.

I hate how Lamela always has to bring the ball onto his left foot but I can see a player in there. Aurier I can not see, awful player and another waste of money to add to an increasingly long list.

I don’t mind players missing chances..... Kane missed 2 sitters today for example. The key is getting into goal scoring positions, a misbrick can happen to anyone.

The foul throws were poor though, really unprofessional.
That's my biggest issue with him.

There's no reason for it other than lack of care and attention. Football is a game of small margins and they're won and lost in a collection of small events. Poch is clearly the kind of manager that covers as many of the small details as possible - he's referred to how much technical information he wants to send them onto the pitch with before.

I can't imagine he'll stand for much more of that. I'm sure (confirmation bias allowing) I can remember at least another 3 foul throws in the time Aurier's been with us.

There's no reason for it other than lack of care and attention. Football is a game of small margins and they're won and lost in a collection of small events. Poch is clearly the kind of manager that covers as many of the small details as possible - he's referred to how much technical information he wants to send them onto the pitch with before.

I can't imagine he'll stand for much more of that. I'm sure (confirmation bias allowing) I can remember at least another 3 foul throws in the time Aurier's been with us.

Yeah it’s not the first time which makes it worse

I still think there is a player in Aurier it's just whether Poch can bring that player out.

On current performances Trippier should be first choice no question but the more exposure Aurier gets to the league this season the better chance he'll look some what proficient at his job next.

That Kane tweet funniest thing ive seen this season...but how come a player has come so far in his career and can't take a throw in,its easier to get pulled up if you don't put it behind your head etc but to jump up like a 10 year old when taking one is so daft ....once ok but three times what the feck.....got to wonder if he was still half asleep...is this earliest time he's played a game at 12 pm in the morning,normally in France they don't kick off till 8pm on a sunday evening ha ha....just woken up mun...

You also can't release the ball from in front of your head. Plus the release can't be a pushing motion.

It was all a bit too much for the poor lad.

Agreed on all points. All three are turnovers of possession, as bad a player kicking it straight out of play when under no pressure.

Trippier seemed to be in great form, so was odd to rotate him. Aurier needs a run of 5 or 10 consecutive games to settle. If
you look at his issues, there is a lack of composure in all - rushed throw ins, no composure to finish, rash defending.

Technically he’s a good player. I feel for Trippier as he had been excellent, and for Aurier as he needs to settle.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Trippier seemed to be in great form, so was odd to rotate him. Aurier needs a run of 5 or 10 consecutive games to settle. If
you look at his issues, there is a lack of composure in all - rushed throw ins, no composure to finish, rash defending.

Technically he’s a good player. I feel for Trippier as he had been excellent, and for Aurier as he needs to settle.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Poch asks a lot of his FB's, hence whenever he can (meaning if we have two fit), we rotate

4 Game run -> Place/Aurier, Rochdale/Trippier (where if Llorent will do anything we need crosses). Huddersfield/Aurier, Juve/Trippier

Makes sense in this run.

Re Aurier himself

- Poor game with some positioning issues, losing possession, the miss and the foul throws (my opinion first one was understandable because he was going for a really long throw and his back foot came off the ground with his momentum, after that, it's just mental pressure).
- Despite the poor game, he got into good positions, got a great shot off that the keeper had to save and was in position for the miss.

We will see in 3 months ...

Back