• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Sandro - Beast

He needs match sharpness, nothing more IMO

This. He was IMO the best defensive midfielder in the League before his major injury, since then he's not really had a run of games to get that sharpness back, again this has been down to a combination of injury and form.

Full uninterrupted pre season behind him, hopefully he will be back to his best next season.

He needs to concentrate on being a footballer, not a karate kicking ninja, not a clown, not a musician, not a motor cross rider, cut out hiding in laundry baskets

Get back to performing on the pitch and earn the right to have a bit of fun off it

So if a player picks up an injury like Sandro did with a likely 6-7 months completely off the pitch and another 6 months of expected suspect form because of problems stemming from the operation and form issues the player should just stop having fun off the pitch for a year?

Seems completely unrealistic to me. Footballers have a lot of free time, yes I think we should be able to expect players to do a bit more than just show up for scheduled training sessions, but even if they do they will have time left over to do other stuff and have some fun. Having personalities like Sandro around a squad can be very helpful to lift the mood and keep people happy I think.

He's obviously being himself, expecting him to stop that because he's injured and/or off form seems like a bad idea to me.

Interesting blogspot especially seeing the esteem the Beast is held on this board...

http://threeandin.com/archives/42016?

Despite being a popular player at the club which his team-mates and supporters, here are five reasons Spurs should cash in on the 25-year-old.

Injury Prone

The Beast completed 90 minutes in the Premier League last season on only four occasions, winning only one of those games whilst conceding 12 goals in the other three. His form is nowhere near the level he displayed in the previous season under Villas-Boas or prior to this under Harry Redknapp, despite his limited game-time. Although, it’s fair to say that the only central midfielder who impressed at N17 last season was youngster Nabil Bentaleb.

Discipline

Sandro’s weakness in his game lies in his lack of pace in the middle of the park, repeatedly being sprinted past by the opposition, resulting in the midfielder giving away countless fouls and tallying up 8 yellow cards in only 23 appearances last season in all competitions.

To put that in perspective, Etienne Capoue and Nabil Bentaleb received a combined 4 yellow cards in all competitions which calculated to 35 appearances.

Interestingly, the only player who was booked more times than Sandro last season was Michael Dawson, who is set to leave the club for Hull City, having been cautioned 9 times in 38 appearances including the Europa League fixtures.

Experience

When you look at the Tottenham midfield, there is a main quality of leadership lacking amongst the group.

Whilst Dembele, Sandro, Bentaleb, Capoue and Paulinho all can provide dynamic combinations to over-run the opposition (sometimes), the reports of the north London club signing free agent Esteban Cambiasso only re-affirm the belief that a leader is needed in the core of the team to help provide the composure and control.

Something Tim Sherwood was so often crying out for last season.

Sherwood was right

Harry Redknapp junior often got into trouble last season for running his mouth, culminating in a war of words between the gaffer and Sandro when the former Blackburn captain stated that the Brazilian international wasn’t good enough to warrant a place in his side, and the stats prove that Sherwood wasn’t totally wrong for once.

In fact, Sandro made more defensive errors per 90 minutes in contrast to Bentaleb and Capoue, won the fewest duels, made the most fouls and won the least number of tackles in comparision to the other two players battling out for his position.

Squad modification

Quite simply, the Tottenham squad is too big. Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Capoue, and returning loanees Tom Carroll and Lewis Holtby prove that Pochettino has a wealth of options to choose from next season.

Additionally, Capoue, Bentaleb, Paulinho, Dembele and Holtby can all play in multiple positions in midfield, whether it’s the latters’ ability to play behind the striker or even Capoue’s ability to play as a centre-back all working in their favour.

With Sandro being frustrated to miss out on the World Cup in his home country, there is no doubt he hopes to push his way back into the frame for a national team position, and he knows that first team football at Napoli could help him achieve this aim.
`

All his tells me is that Sandro had a lousy season that was affected by injury and form. If we should sell Sandro then I presume in the same vein we should sell Lamela as well I presume? And of course we all expect Man Utd to follow suite by selling RVP after the bad form and injury ravaged season he had right? My point exactly. I for one do not suffer from amnesia so I remember when he was one of the very best defensive midfielders in the country, and I feel at the very least we owe it to to him and to ourselves not to write him off so prematurely.

Not much in there to disagree with. The beast may be popular, but Sandro the footballer is not that special.

I still remember dome iffy passing from Sandro and errors from Gomez that saw us exit the Champions League

...... stands back and awaits incoming .......

Let me get this right,so you are blaming our exit from the Champions League on Sandro's passing and not on Crouch stupidly getting himself sent off against Real Madrid? :-k

So if a player picks up an injury like Sandro did with a likely 6-7 months completely off the pitch and another 6 months of expected suspect form because of problems stemming from the operation and form issues the player should just stop having fun off the pitch for a year?

Seems completely unrealistic to me. Footballers have a lot of free time, yes I think we should be able to expect players to do a bit more than just show up for scheduled training sessions, but even if they do they will have time left over to do other stuff and have some fun. Having personalities like Sandro around a squad can be very helpful to lift the mood and keep people happy I think.

He's obviously being himself, expecting him to stop that because he's injured and/or off form seems like a bad idea to me.

Yep. And the only reason we actually know about the way he gets on is because of twitter/social media etc. So to use that as a stick to beat him with is a bit harsh IMO.

I'll remember this post next time someone like Ade is injured...and/or 'off-form'...and is seen driving a nice car around town...and gets some heat in here for it;)

But seriously, does/should your reasoning apply to all players? Do you have any issues with Ade 'being himself'...and having lots of fun off the field, even if he's 'off-form', or injured, and coming under scrutiny for it?

As you must know, there are a lot of players - and managers - chastised for 'being himself' in here, off-form or otherwise. But as I say, I'll take your post under advisement. :p

Last edited:
My issue with Sandro, all emotion aside, is whether his type of "destroyer" defensive midfielder is required for Poch's system. I am open to being persuaded. But imho if possession is the key would it not be better to have midfielders in the defensive role who are good passers? Arsenal used Arteta, Everton had Barry. That's why I think Verts could do well for us in that role. He played in midfield when he was at Ajax iirc.

My issue with Sandro, all emotion aside, is whether his type of "destroyer" defensive midfielder is required for Poch's system. I am open to being persuaded. But imho if possession is the key would it not be better to have midfielders in the defensive role who are good passers? Arsenal used Arteta, Everton had Barry. That's why I think Verts could do well for us in that role. He played in midfield when he was at Ajax iirc.

Agree with you on this one. I'm not sure whether or not we need a player of his type for the system. Likely we would be best served keeping a "destroyer" on the books, but that would mean we either lose him or Capoue

Not sure Vertonghen would like that change of role considering he turned down a move to ARSEnal because ARSEne wanted him to play in central midfield.

But would be nice to have a midfielder who has the ability to play accurate long passes from CMF like Arteta / Carrick / Barry / Yaya / Gerrard / Modric to keep opposition defences off balance... perhaps Capoue is that man judging by what I've read about his playing style in Ligue 1, although I can't see Sandro and him playing CMF together except for when we're trying to protect a lead... will be interesting to see what Pochettino and Baldini decide to do with the squad as pre-season continues.

I'll remember this post next time someone like Ade is injured...and/or 'off-form'...and is seen driving a nice car around town...and gets some heat in here for it;)

But seriously, does/should your reasoning apply to all players? Do you have any issues with Ade 'being himself'...and having lots of fun off the field, even if he's 'off-form', or injured, and coming under scrutiny for it?

As you must know, there are a lot of players - and managers - chastised for 'being himself' in here, off-form or otherwise. But as I say, I'll take your post under advisement. :p

It seems a bit harsh to hold braineclipse to account for other peoples' opinions/posts.

This. He was IMO the best defensive midfielder in the League before his major injury .

You think so?? The problem I have with Sandro is that you notice him too much in the game because he charging around like a bull, tackling, fouling and receiving yellow cards. Probably that's why he's so popular on this board.

The best defensive midfielders - Makelele springs to mind - are almost anonymous. They read the game so well that they in the perfect position to incercept; you sort of say to your self how stupid are the attacking midfielders who keep on running into his path...

You think so?? The problem I have with Sandro is that you notice him too much in the game because he charging around like a bull, tackling, fouling and receiving yellow cards. Probably that's why he's so popular on this board.

The best defensive midfielders - Makelele springs to mind - are almost anonymous. They read the game so well that they in the perfect position to incercept; you sort of say to your self how stupid are the attacking midfielders who keep on running into his path...

I'm not entirely sure you've seen Makelele play. Google him and click on images - is that the guy you're talking about?

Makelele was capable of tackle-free interceptions just like all good DMs (including Sandro) but spent just as much of his time running about making tackles.

In fact, Makelele and Sandro have a very similar Yellows per match figure over their PL careers.

I recall Ledley King starting a season with 5 or 6 matches where he had awarded against him not a single ....... free kick. Yet he was heavily involved in all these games.

THAT, people, is performing well.

As I remember it, one of the most impressive things about Sandro before last season was how he would break up attacks by cleverly positioning his body, intercepting, winning the ball back by staying on his feet and hardly ever sliding in. Only last season (post injury) did he regularly get beaten for pace and start pulling players back and giving away many free kicks. I expect this season we'll see him back to something like his best. His passing should also be more effective in a more organised team system with better movement around him.

Sandro = first name on the team sheet

I'd quite like to see Sandro or Dembele as the marauding, pressing beast.........Capoue or Bentaleb as the passer from deep,,,,,,,,,,Paulinho or Chadli as the run into the box and score a few.........Lamela or Townsend as the get up there, score, dribble and provide some pace man.........Eriksen or Holtby as the drifty creative bloke....Ade or Remy (sorry Soldaddy) as the hold it up, drift wide, fairly quick and 15 goals notched thank you very much.

So yeah, Sandro gets in my team. Unleash him fully fit, and don't shackle him to be the sitter. Let Capoue do that.

Back