• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

He does need time to run a team at a good level and develop his strategy and tactics, where in this world he will find a team that will allow him to do it is beyond me, very few get that chance in top two leagues here and the challenge below that is totally different.

He does need time to run a team at a good level and develop his strategy and tactics, where in this world he will find a team that will allow him to do it is beyond me, very few get that chance in top two leagues here and the challenge below that is totally different.

Maybe he'll get the Brighton job next? Especially with the Paul Barber connection. He'd be a perfect fit there.

Agree with those saying a move would be best for him now, the Spurs job will be too big for a novice, but a promising championship team could be a good fit (the route Carrick took with Boro).

Mason - 8 games at tier 1
(plus 85 games as assistant, tier 1)

Kompany - 51 games at tier 2 + 95 games at tier 3

Carrick - 29 games at tier 2
(plus 192 games as assistant, tier 1)

Slot - 155 games at tier 3
So you are rating the Dutch top league and managing teams in Europe lower than the championship? I can't remember ever seeing Luton Town or Rotherham in the Champions league semi final or the Europa or conference league final.

So you are rating the Dutch top league and managing teams in Europe lower than the championship? I can't remember ever seeing Luton Town or Rotherham in the Champions league semi final or the Europa or conference league final.

The bottom of the Dutch league is practically pub football. It's why you can never judge strikers (or managers) who do well in that league, because it's so uncompetitive below the big 3 teams. It's the same with Scotland.

The bottom of the Dutch league is practically pub football. It's why you can never judge strikers (or managers) who do well in that league, because it's so uncompetitive below the big 3 teams. It's the same with Scotland.
It's much more competitive than you think. Also, I think you are one of those who's said that PSG don't do well in CL because they don't have enough competitive games in the domestic league. Same should apply to the Dutch, right? Despite that, they have teams doing well in european competitions almost every year.
The quality is higher than you think, and your perception is based on poor knowledge.

It's much more competitive than you think. Also, I think you are one of those who's said that PSG don't do well in CL because they don't have enough competitive games in the domestic league. Same should apply to the Dutch, right? Despite that, they have teams doing well in european competitions almost every year.
The quality is higher than you think, and your perception is based on poor knowledge.

Hes just throwing his toys out as he is so desperate to get poch in that he has now identified everything Dutch football as poor due to being linked with Slot ... he still thinks Mourinho, conte are poor dinosaur managers despite them being very successful even until recently.

Once he has an agenda it gets twisted at every opportunity.

Have a lot time for mason, he speaks well, obviously loves the club and has worked really hard to get past his horrific injury.
I'd rather have seen him mentored as a DoF than a manager though.
Think he'd have a better perspective than the "outsiders" coming in, a much longer term view, a more PL centric vision and obviously better idea of the club and its culture.

Just listened to the High Performance podcast episode with Mason (skip the first and last 10 mins or so to minimise the Jake Humphrey chat). Mason is very articulate and someone who in my mind will no doubt manage us one day. His self belief and resilience also came across strong. If he wins all our remaining games/does a great job for the rest of the season, it would obviously still be a massively risky permanent appointment, but he would have certainly made a strong case.

The Championship is so competitive though. They beat PL teams regularly. IMO, the tiers shouldn't be so concrete and there should be a bit more granularity (more of a spectrum than structured tiers), especially when considering that there's a lot of range within certain domestic leagues.

Just listened to the High Performance podcast episode with Mason (skip the first and last 10 mins or so to minimise the Jake Humphrey chat). Mason is very articulate and someone who in my mind will no doubt manage us one day. His self belief and resilience also came across strong. If he wins all our remaining games/does a great job for the rest of the season, it would obviously still be a massively risky permanent appointment, but he would have certainly made a strong case.
Even if he is a very apt coach/manager, he's still so young. I can't imagine Lloris taking instructions from someone 5 years younger than him. He'd essentially have to be a GHod damn prodigy to have my faith long-term at the Spurs helm, but at this point, all he needs to do is inject belief and discipline into the squad. I wonder what his thoughts are on transfer business.

Its all relative as a manager though as long as the leagues competitive, the managers job remains the same. its different from being a player

Increase in resources means generally good practices are maintained still, like most things there are no dead certs. Pellegrini won things at City and was utter garbage at West Ham

Even if he is a very apt coach/manager, he's still so young. I can't imagine Lloris taking instructions from someone 5 years younger than him. He'd essentially have to be a GHod damn prodigy to have my faith long-term at the Spurs helm, but at this point, all he needs to do is inject belief and discipline into the squad. I wonder what his thoughts are on transfer business.

Shouldn't be too bother want Lloris thinks, his time here is drawing to a close, I know footballers are generally thick but at experienced International level they should be able to know if they are talking to someone who knows something about the game.

A strong case with no pressure on him to succeed or do anything? A strong case without any material experience apart from a few as interim manager ...

Honestly nice chap but if he really has any aspirations of being a great manager at spurs he really needs to leave and make his mark elsewhere.

One pod cast and a few no pressure games is not the making of a strong candidate.

He's only a couple of years different to Naglesmann (who is also younger than Lloris).

Modern coaches don't really do transfers either - it's not really in their brief, there's experts for that now.

Its all relative as a manager though as long as the leagues competitive, the managers job remains the same. its different from being a player

Increase in resources means generally good practices are maintained still, like most things there are no dead certs. Pellegrini won things at City and was utter garbage at West Ham

Not really. The tempo is very different. The pressure is very different.

A particular concern with Holland is that there aren't good defences. It's why Dutch league forwards always score so many (and then can't transition to other leagues). It's also why ten Hag can't do defence - because he's never really had to pay much attention to that before.

Not really. The tempo is very different. The pressure is very different.

A particular concern with Holland is that there aren't good defences. It's why Dutch league forwards always score so many (and then can't transition to other leagues). It's also why ten Hag can't do defence - because he's never really had to pay much attention to that before.

But that quality lost is the players and if its a blanket drop in quality the managers job still remains competitive and the jobs still the same, win games of football against teams that a relative and strong to your own

There is absolutely zero hard and fast rules though, some of the best coaches in world football have come out of that league and still do, Ten Haag will do a great job for United when he gets the house in order.

Jose as much as I hate the older smarmy version of him came from one of the weakest leagues in Europe football wise, Wenger came from China,

Everyone starts somewhere

Mason may one day turn out to be a very good manager, he is itellgent and you can see he thinks about the game. However i agree with others giving him the job now is taking a risk not just for us but him as well.

A strong case with no pressure on him to succeed or do anything? A strong case without any material experience apart from a few as interim manager ...

Honestly nice chap but if he really has any aspirations of being a great manager at spurs he really needs to leave and make his mark elsewhere.

One pod cast and a few no pressure games is not the making of a strong candidate.

I do agree that his age/inexperience is definitely against him, especially for a club with the profile of Spurs, but if he does an unbelievable job in the remaining games, he could be a candidate. Getting a tune out of the current squad, even in no pressure games, is worth something in my view

Back