• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Shouldn't be too bother want Lloris thinks, his time here is drawing to a close, I know footballers are generally thick but at experienced International level they should be able to know if they are talking to someone who knows something about the game.
For the time being, he is the captain, which I guess leads me to talking about how Mason manages all these players that he's been mates with for so long. When it comes time to selling Lloris for example (I don't want to see him sitting on our bench if/when we do replace him), I'm wondering if there could be hard feelings amongst the squad, or if it's someone else's time to go (*cough* Dier *cough). All these relationships could end up being detrimental for Mason and maybe for that, it might be best for him to manage elsewhere and come back when a few years have passed.

Really liked the subs yesterday
It was a change that was needed and then another and another
Keeping it simple but relevant to the game

For the time being, he is the captain, which I guess leads me to talking about how Mason manages all these players that he's been mates with for so long. When it comes time to selling Lloris for example (I don't want to see him sitting on our bench if/when we do replace him), I'm wondering if there could be hard feelings amongst the squad, or if it's someone else's time to go (*cough* Dier *cough). All these relationships could end up being detrimental for Mason and maybe for that, it might be best for him to manage elsewhere and come back when a few years have passed.
He didn't have much prob standing up to Adebayor and Kaboul as a 20-year-old and telling them all to fudge off for not putting any effort in and kick-starting the Poch era. Doubt he'll have any issues cutting those that aren't performing now.

He didn't have much prob standing up to Adebayor and Kaboul as a 20-year-old and telling them all to fudge off for not putting any effort in and kick-starting the Poch era. Doubt he'll have any issues cutting those that aren't performing now.
I agree with the sentiment, but like I said, he's been with some of the old guard (Kane, Lloris, Dier) for many years now. I don't question his professionalism, but he still has to manage relationships as well as players.
Either way, I'm rooting for him and hope he does well and gives Levy even more of a headache when it comes to manager selection.

He has more experience of life than those players could dream of
He can use that to his advantage

Carrick tier 2?? He was caretaker at Utd for a bit, similar to Mason. Slot is also in the top tier of Dutch football, hardly tier 3. Each one of those as well have built teams, something Mason has yet to prove.

this another gutter special? In other words more unrealistic completely biased drivel.

I think Mason has a bright future, but he needs some experience of moulding a team in his image before he is ready for a top tier gig

Whilst I'm not in favour of Mason being given the managerial job (think there's a bit of work to be done here and a more established manager would be a safer bet) Arteta has shown that you can go from assistant/coach in to management at a top 6 club and do well.

Whilst I'm not in favour of Mason being given the managerial job (think there's a bit of work to be done here and a more established manager would be a safer bet) Arteta has shown that you can go from assistant/coach in to management at a top 6 club and do well.

Although Arteta was part of sustained success at City.

Mason has had a ring-side seat at the circus.

The Poch golden age too. So he can compare the good with the bad. Thats good learning experience. Burkinshaw did the same under Terry Neil - learnt how not to do it

Arteta learned from one manager (although probably the best to learn from) while Mason has been there learning from several managers. Not saying we should be going for him though.

The argument i was responding to was that he needs experience moulding a team tbf - i think your point is a fair one but I've always thought I've learned a lot (if not more) from jobs/situations that are badly run

The argument i was responding to was that he needs experience moulding a team tbf - i think your point is a fair one but I've always thought I've learned a lot (if not more) from jobs/situations that are badly run

arteta was being hounded out by his own club, trust the process became a joke etc, yet the board stuck with him.

I’m hardly anti-levy but I can’t see the fanbase or more importantly Levy/the board giving the time needed on an unknown quantity in Mason or limited unknown in a managerial capacity if you like

I do agree that his age/inexperience is definitely against him, especially for a club with the profile of Spurs, but if he does an unbelievable job in the remaining games, he could be a candidate. Getting a tune out of the current squad, even in no pressure games, is worth something in my view

It will be just another season wasted. Why risk it? He should learn the trade, bide his time gain experience and then perhaps if he is good enough in thr future then he can have a real crack at it.

Massively agree
It’s how you react to the bad that allows you to be good

Just listened to the High Performance podcast episode with Mason (skip the first and last 10 mins or so to minimise the Jake Humphrey chat). Mason is very articulate and someone who in my mind will no doubt manage us one day. His self belief and resilience also came across strong. If he wins all our remaining games/does a great job for the rest of the season, it would obviously still be a massively risky permanent appointment, but he would have certainly made a strong case.
No pressure then.

It will be just another season wasted. Why risk it? He should learn the trade, bide his time gain experience and then perhaps if he is good enough in thr future then he can have a real crack at it.
But we want Nagelsman?
Nagelsman went straight youth team to Bundesliga manager. So it hypocritical to say Mason isn't ready yet.

But we want Nagelsman?
Nagelsman went straight youth team to Bundesliga manager. So it hypocritical to say Mason isn't ready yet.

Not really, doesn't league different pressure and different club. Our circumstances and stature student is different to hoffenheim.

One game I remember Mason for was beating Woolwich 2-1 at home in early 2015.
He was immense in midfield. Time will tell in terms of a coach/manager role but he certainly has the attributes.

We've gone for proven winners and failed to find the success or style the fans are expecting, any big name will probably want us to spend big as they aren't looking to develop players or take a chance on unknown players but get quick results, if we aren't going to get the players they want we will just fail as the previous "winners".

The team need a major overhaul and I believe we need a manager who can do it and give him the time to do it, i dont think most of the fans want that and see 3 or 4 key signings will make us a challenger next season, this is why I think Mason will not get the job and we will end up with gambling on an overseas option.

Back