• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Dear Ryan,

There is actually a perfect reason... unfortunately, you are not good enough to be a starter for a team aspiring for a CL place. I like you immensely and the fact that you are an Academy graduate adds to that positive admiration. But - much as it pains me - your level is that of us, two seasons ago.... 7th and below.

You can fill in most midfield places but have nowhere like the spatial awareness of a Dier, the ball possession of a Dembele, the tackling of a Wanyama, the passing of an Eriksen or the all-action style and skill set of a Lamela - and that's even before mentioning the attacking prowess and box-to-box skills of Alli (who realistically you will need to replace). I would hazard to say that even a Pritchard offers more at the moment because he seems to have a coolness in front of goal that unfortunately you still struggle with.

I would be more than happy to see you stay as a squad player but I think neither you nor us should not be under any ilusions that you will be anything more than that.

And much as I would love you to prove me wrong, I honestly doubt that you will.

Brutally true.

Dear Ryan,

There is actually a perfect reason... unfortunately, you are not good enough to be a starter for a team aspiring for a CL place. I like you immensely and the fact that you are an Academy graduate adds to that positive admiration. But - much as it pains me - your level is that of us, two seasons ago.... 7th and below.

You can fill in most midfield places but have nowhere like the spatial awareness of a Dier, the ball possession of a Dembele, the tackling of a Wanyama, the passing of an Eriksen or the all-action style and skill set of a Lamela - and that's even before mentioning the attacking prowess and box-to-box skills of Alli (who realistically you will need to replace). I would hazard to say that even a Pritchard offers more at the moment because he seems to have a coolness in front of goal that unfortunately you still struggle with.

I would be more than happy to see you stay as a squad player but I think neither you nor us should not be under any ilusions that you will be anything more than that.

Bet you were saying the same about Dembele, Walker and Lamela 12 months ago

Not sure that is proof he will be staying, there are several players who have not joined up yet for pre season and we are supposed to be looking at signing another midfield player. If that is true we will be overloaded with players in that part of the team.
Exactly. Holtby played every pre-season game a couple of years ago, and probably was the best player in those games. He still got loaned out (or was he sold?)

Sent from outer space

Dear Ryan,

Yes, let's cherry pick the best attributes of 5 separate players and compare them to one player. Because that makes sense.

nowhere like the spatial awareness of a Dier - He doesn't need it because he's now very unlikely to be playing instead of Dier. Only alongside him (or Wanyama or Dembele). I'd argue that in the final 3rd of the pitch he has superior spatial awareness.

The ball possession of a Dembele - No one in our squad has the ball possession of Dembele.

The tackling of a Wanyama - Wanyama hasn't kicked a ball for us yet. He shouldn't even be in this conversation.

The passing of an Eriksen - No one in the squad has the passing of an Eriksen

All-action style and skill set of a Lamela - Actually one of Masons big pluses for me, and the reason he played his way into the first team to begin with is because he fitted perfectly as a CM in Poch's system. Pressed when he should be pressing and moved the ball quickly and looked to move it forward at every opportunity. He doesn't have the skill set but he certainly has the all action mentallity

Mason has basically had one very good spell with us where he was pretty much integral to Poch's team. In fact I would go so far as to comment that he had a big hand in kick starting everything. Poch's system wasn't really working as Capoue etc etc moved the ball much much too slowly. Mason came in and never looked back because he pressed well and moved the ball quickly and the system began to work.

Then he got injured. Since the injury he hasn't been back in the team for any length of time and when he has had a chance he's looked very average, but I don't understand this mass rush to write him off.

Bet you were saying the same about Dembele, Walker and Lamela 12 months ago

We all knew those players had the ability to up their game, another gear that was there should they be encouraged to use it.

Personally i dont think thats the case with Mason and should the fabled £10m bid come from Hull i would wish him well and pocket the money.

We all knew those players had the ability to up their game, another gear that was there should they be encouraged to use it.

Personally i dont think thats the case with Mason and should the fabled £10m bid come from Hull i would wish him well and pocket the money.

Not saying that Mason is good enough to get a first team spot, but to be fair

- Mason has another gear to up in his game, it's goals, he's shown glimpses of it, his record in academy backs it (IIRC he's spurs record scorer at that level)
- He's got the engine to play in a Poch side
- His other main attribute is recycling of the ball quickly (why he and Bentaleb got in side initially)

If he hadn't been injured for long stretches, it would be easy to say any judgement is fair, at this stage, no one has seen him play close to a full season other than the one he and Bentaleb impressed in.

His big issue is he doesn't own a position, he's a utility player for us now, and utility players struggle to get a first team spot.

Yes, let's cherry pick the best attributes of 5 separate players and compare them to one player. Because that makes sense.

nowhere like the spatial awareness of a Dier - He doesn't need it because he's now very unlikely to be playing instead of Dier. Only alongside him (or Wanyama or Dembele). I'd argue that in the final 3rd of the pitch he has superior spatial awareness.

The ball possession of a Dembele - No one in our squad has the ball possession of Dembele.

The tackling of a Wanyama - Wanyama hasn't kicked a ball for us yet. He shouldn't even be in this conversation.

The passing of an Eriksen - No one in the squad has the passing of an Eriksen

All-action style and skill set of a Lamela - Actually one of Masons big pluses for me, and the reason he played his way into the first team to begin with is because he fitted perfectly as a CM in Poch's system. Pressed when he should be pressing and moved the ball quickly and looked to move it forward at every opportunity. He doesn't have the skill set but he certainly has the all action mentallity

Mason has basically had one very good spell with us where he was pretty much integral to Poch's team. In fact I would go so far as to comment that he had a big hand in kick starting everything. Poch's system wasn't really working as Capoue etc etc moved the ball much much too slowly. Mason came in and never looked back because he pressed well and moved the ball quickly and the system began to work.

Then he got injured. Since the injury he hasn't been back in the team for any length of time and when he has had a chance he's looked very average, but I don't understand this mass rush to write him off.

Well said @Millsy_Yiddo . I am in complete agreement with why there is this mass rush to write him off. He's not demanding a first team space, he's not a nuisance at the club yet people want rid of him. I sometimes despair at the lack of loyalty fans show players yet expect loyalty from the players. If the same attitude had been shown to Kane then he would be plundering goals at another club.

Getting rid of him is not a decision that we need to make now, so why force the issue?

I like Mason and there is no doubt he is a good player. I also agree with @Millsy_Yiddo that he played a big part in embedding Poch's system in that first season . The problem is other players have come in and occupied the midfield spots which would be his natural territory and I don't see who he would displace. I have pigeon holed him as a box-box player in which case he is most likely to rotate with alli. But at this stage of his career with him being mid 20s and on the fringe of the England team is it enough to be filling in? I would love him to stay but for me he would be a squad player whereas he needs to be a regular starter which he will be at most other Premier League clubs outside of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and the Manchester clubs. I hope he stays but I think he will go before the end of the window.

I like Mason and there is no doubt he is a good player. I also agree with @Millsy_Yiddo that he played a big part in embedding Poch's system in that first season . The problem is other players have come in and occupied the midfield spots which would be his natural territory and I don't see who he would displace. I have pigeon holed him as a box-box player in which case he is most likely to rotate with alli. But at this stage of his career with him being mid 20s and on the fringe of the England team is it enough to be filling in? I would love him to stay but for me he would be a squad player whereas he needs to be a regular starter which he will be at most other Premier League clubs outside of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and the Manchester clubs. I hope he stays but I think he will go before the end of the window.

Would he be a starter at most other premiership clubs outside the ones you mentioned?

He wouldn't get in to the Southampton/Stoke/Everton Cm for a start.

Would he be a starter at most other premiership clubs outside the ones you mentioned?

He wouldn't get in to the Southampton/Stoke/Everton Cm for a start.

I may well be biased as I am a huge Ryan Mason fan but if this is really true and fair,why is it when he played consistently in the side we finished comfortably above all of these sides ?

Barry is better and a McCarthy when fit is better

I disagree

Barry spends most of the time fouling (isn't he the player with the highest amount of cards now) and McCarthy is toss and offers nothing. People rate Hume because of the price tag a not because of what he has done

And Mason has shown so far that he is better than Jordie Classe too at SCBC. So for me he would get a game there

The difference with us we now have top drawer players ahead of him hence why he has dropped down the pecking order

i understand that he played a part in poch's early plans. but it seems that we've moved up and we need less utility players now that poch is finessing his system.

too bad for the injuries but that's the life of a footballer. i don't see him getting more games so if he's happy to wait his turn i'm fine with him staying. but i think wanyama and jensen will get games ahead of mason.

Mason ( imo) will never be anything more here then a bench player for us, and our bench was not strong enough last season and it showed towards the end. For his own sake he needs to go to a team where he can play on a regular basis because he will not get it here ( imo).

Back