• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

The Standard are claiming we are considering delaying our move for him and the latest ATTENTION SEEKER to join Spurs Community has responded.

Hercules: Standard is bang on. Still possible under our terms. But "too much smoke for there not to be a fire". That is a message I received from as close as you can get to the situation.

You were right first time ;)

The Dembele cover/competition has got to be Winks. Otherwise we make the other decision - let him go and replace him.

Barkley has never played CM before - why do you assume he would suddenly convert and be good enough to cover Dembele?

I'd take Sancho for the third. We don't need an immediate starter with Eriksen, Alli, Son and Lamela already there for 2 (occasionally 3) positions.

Your view.

I think Barkley will be fine in CM in the Dembele role - big (6 foot 2, strong), two footed, decent close control. I think he plays more long passes rather than Dembele's more short-pass knitting, but thats not a concern. Winks is also competition there I agree, but I think its completely feasible that Dembele only plays regularly at the top level for another couple years

Personally I think we another option in the final third - we've appeared very one-paced there historically. We've obviously scored a pile of goals but if we want to continue to improve, I think that's one area where we can. We only have pace out wide, and dont really have someone who can beat a player in a phone box

This Barkley for CM thing reminds me of people saying the same about Sissoko last year. Just because he's the same size as Dembele doesn't make him a CM. I really don't get the idea that we'd buy players for over 30m and then change the position they've played in their whole career?!

This Barkley for CM thing reminds me of people saying the same about Sissoko last year. Just because he's the same size as Dembele doesn't make him a CM. I really don't get the idea that we'd buy players for over 30m and then change the position they've played in their whole career?!

Well, Sissoko was 27 whereas Barkley is 23 so its not as if the latter has been playing for 10 years! Plus Barkley actually has some football skills whereas Sissoko doesnt

We've also done it with others - Bale, though I accept he was young, Dembele himself played more as a no 10 before we bought him (and in early games for Spurs), Rose was a winger, etc. Lets see what Poch thinks - I thought he'd already made comments saying that Barkley could be a CM, but I might be wrong

Well, Sissoko was 27 whereas Barkley is 23 so its not as if the latter has been playing for 10 years! Plus Barkley actually has some football skills whereas Sissoko doesnt

We've also done it with others - Bale, though I accept he was young, Dembele himself played more as a no 10 before we bought him (and in early games for Spurs), Rose was a winger, etc. Lets see what Poch thinks - I thought he'd already made comments saying that Barkley could be a CM, but I might be wrong

I would guess Barkley has been playing midfield for 10 years and receiving coaching from well paid professionals for those 10 years.

@AdamB Makes a great comparison, with Dembele himself.

He was a striker, a winger, an AM... All the while he clearly had something but just didnt produce enough in any of those positions.

He starts playing midfield for us at around 26(?) and within a season is one of the best in the country there and arguably our most indespensible player.

Barkley bears a fair resemblance to Demebele IMHO, and not just in build. He has played traditionally as an attacking player, but never been especially productive. He has the physique for CM. He has good vision and close control and hit quality long passes - all indicative of being a success in a role similar to Dembeles.

I do agree he is more likely to pass forward than dribble, but the end result will be the same.

The way I see it is that Dembele probably has a couple of seasons left in him with us. And he is likely to spend a fair portion of that injured (as he always does). We get Barkley and he spends that time acclimating to Poch and his ways, and growing into that role*, and then we have a ready made successor.

At least, thats the version of this that makes most sense to me. Barkley looks built for it, IMO, and I certainly cant see him coming and and ousting Alli or Eriksen or Son...

*Honestly Im not even sure it will take too long to grow into that role. He has all the attributes, its just the question of how long it takes (or if) to click for him mentally.

I just don't see how Everton spend 3 months getting him fit and he just walks out of the door from a human relationship prespective or a financial presspective.He will sign a new contract and they will sell him for close to his market value.This should have been tied up 2 months ago.

Two months ago they were asking £50m.

Who knows whether that story is true however I'd be disappointed to miss out on him for a few reasons. Firstly I think he's a decent player with a lot of potential, secondly i think he's relatively unique and would be far cheaper and more likely to deliver than alternatively, and lastly, but most importantly, given how long these stories about having been going on linking us to him, I think its pretty clear that he's someone who Poch wants so I'd be disappointed if we don't land him

Lots of if and buts @AdamB

Of course. We're not often in a position to buy players from the top table at the moment though so there's going to be question marks around most players we sign. Sanchez has never played in a major league for example and only 1 season in Europe, Aurier has question marks over his personality, etc. At £25m, I think Barkley is a good deal. Time will tell

Of course. We're not often in a position to buy players from the top table at the moment though so there's going to be question marks around most players we sign. Sanchez has never played in a major league for example and only 1 season in Europe, Aurier has question marks over his personality, etc. At £25m, I think Barkley is a good deal. Time will tell

Actually doubt that .. Barkley will fail miserably at anything other than collecting a paycheck at Chelsea, while he has talent, he obviously needs the right coach/environment and opportunities to step up, not something any of the top 6 clubs provide other than Spurs.

If he takes that Chelsea paycheck, he'll be on loan in a season and probably playing for a bottom level PL team in two years. No guarantees he would work at Spurs, but damn close to a guarantee he will be nothing but filler at Chelsea and another wasted talent killed by too munch money for sitting on a bench.

@AdamB Makes a great comparison, with Dembele himself.

He was a striker, a winger, an AM... All the while he clearly had something but just didnt produce enough in any of those positions.

He starts playing midfield for us at around 26(?) and within a season is one of the best in the country there and arguably our most indespensible player.

Barkley bears a fair resemblance to Demebele IMHO, and not just in build. He has played traditionally as an attacking player, but never been especially productive. He has the physique for CM. He has good vision and close control and hit quality long passes - all indicative of being a success in a role similar to Dembeles.

I do agree he is more likely to pass forward than dribble, but the end result will be the same.

The way I see it is that Dembele probably has a couple of seasons left in him with us. And he is likely to spend a fair portion of that injured (as he always does). We get Barkley and he spends that time acclimating to Poch and his ways, and growing into that role*, and then we have a ready made successor.

At least, thats the version of this that makes most sense to me. Barkley looks built for it, IMO, and I certainly cant see him coming and and ousting Alli or Eriksen or Son...

*Honestly Im not even sure it will take too long to grow into that role. He has all the attributes, its just the question of how long it takes (or if) to click for him mentally.

Well I certainly hope you're right, I'd be delighted, but I mentioned in the Barkley thread the other week, Dembele is excellent at a lot of things that Barkley simply hasn't shown any level of competence at at all so far. Like tackling, positioning, interceptions, blocking, tracking back and just general work rate.

Don't get me wrong, I think Barkley has talent and I'd like us to sign him for the right deal, but he's shown nothing to me to suggest he can play that CM position. I'd prefer to develop/groom Onomah as the Dembele successor to be honest.

@AdamB I absolutely agree with both your last two posts. I too would be disappointed if we don't sign him. There is enough raw material there for him to be a top player. At this stage of our development, we can't yet afford to buy ready made, proven and flawless talent. All our buys necessarily have an element of risk. Barkley' stats prove he can do it in the EPL and thus mitigates the risk. I really hope Chelsea don't beat us to him ala Willian.

Who knows whether that story is true however I'd be disappointed to miss out on him for a few reasons. Firstly I think he's a decent player with a lot of potential, secondly i think he's relatively unique and would be far cheaper and more likely to deliver than alternatively, and lastly, but most importantly, given how long these stories about having been going on linking us to him, I think its pretty clear that he's someone who Poch wants so I'd be disappointed if we don't land him

That is probably the truest thing you have posted, there are so many story's in the rags/ blogs/from wanabee itk's about us being in for Uncle Tom Cobbly and all and the vast majority of it is usually nothing more then flimflam. The trouble is deep down most of us know that but the problem is that when these story's never transpire it starts all the whining and nashing of gums by some supporters about us showing no desire or ambition.

It beats me because most fans know that these story's are mostly clickbait, made up etc but they still get wound up. Now the Barkley story seems to have legs but i would say the majority of fans 99% at least have NO IDEA what is really going on but still get upset at the club/Levy.

Back