• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rooney - Is he s**t?

He's right, Rooney is good, but he's nowhere near the level of the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Zlatan etc. At best I;d say he's in the second tier, but even then at a stretch.

But when you think back to when people were raving about Rooney when he was at Everton/just joined Man Utd and compare that to the Ronaldo when in his first season at United when he was doing 100 stepovers then putting every cross out for a goal kick it's bizarre the way the two evolved so differently. Although I guess there are numerous players that were hyped and then levelled out.

you can only alter diet so much though, especially when you burn a certain amount of calories on a daily basis in training

Yes genetically their are differences in metabolism, but even someone with the lowest metabolism could get down to single digit body-fat levels by manipulating their diet when they are training to that level everyday. He looks like a bloke from a pub team with his top off.

Rooney just blows hot and cold

Team of the season so far would be

------Sturridge--Suarez
Lallana-Toure-Ramsey-Nasri
Shaw--Terry - Lovren-Coleman
-------------lloris

I'd have to put Hazard in the team of the season, but no Rooney wouldn't get in it. Subs bench perhaps

I think that the talent was trained out of Rooney, his individual skill was sacrificed to make him fit into a team with better players who were more effective. I also think that he has suffered from being played out of position but having said that, as we enter the last stage of his career, does anyone on here know what his best position is?

Read Ferguson also said he was the slowest player he had ever coached at picking up new tactics and he would have to explain things to Rooney more times then anyone else.

Maybe as he had to play in games that were more tactical then when he was at Everton he was trying to remember what the tactics were and it impacted on his game.

Read Ferguson also said he was the slowest player he had ever coached at picking up new tactics and he would have to explain things to Rooney more times then anyone else.

Maybe as he had to play in games that were more tactical then when he was at Everton he was trying to remember what the tactics were and it impacted on his game.

I think that one of his biggest weaknesses, particularly at international level, is that if you deprive him of the ball, he will get frustrated and go looking for it. He has no discipline and cannot follow orders.

He's not a player who conforms to any other archetype. Certainly not a number 9, but doesn't have the ability to play as wide forward or as a part of a three man midfield.

I've been saying a lot over the years how England have a problem because they seem to have to make a team that crowbars him into it, regardless of the players available. Personally think that if Hodgson set England up in a proper 433 with Sturridge up top and players like Llalana and Sterling on the flanks we could do well. Instead we will play some dodgy 442 and find ourselves out numbered in midfield.

He's not ****, but he's definitely overrated. How many truly "world class" seasons has he managed to produce? 2 or 3? I would the following players are better than him in our league:

Suarez
Van Persie
Aguero
Hazard
Yaya Toure
David Silva

Rooney looked to have all the talent in the world when he first broke through at Everton, immense talent combined with an explosive burst of pace and fierce strength.

Safe to say on this rare occasion Barton is right, Rooney is not world class, has had maybe two or three seasons scattered where he has reached that level but he is too inconsistent and physically inept to really impact big games nowadays. Sturridge is better as far as England are concerned.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Ibrahimovic are the four best right now, with players like Bale, Robben, Ribery, Iniesta on the next level. Rooney would be a couple below that, IMO.

i think some of the sentiments in this thread are a bit unfair to rooney if i'm honest. whilst i agree that it would be difficult to classify rooney as "world-class" by most people's standards, i think it is strongly worth emphasising the fact that he is still a very good player, who has had a very good career thus far.

we're comparing rooney's level of proffesionalism to ronaldo. and for obvious reasons (ie. they were both teenage sensations). but whoever you compare with ronaldo on proffesionalism, they are unlikely to come out on top.

and whilst rooney no doubt could've done more to be a better player, or extend his career etc, hes been playing top level proffessional football for over a decade now. and i think this deserves massive credit.

He's right, Rooney is good, but he's nowhere near the level of the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Zlatan etc. At best I;d say he's in the second tier, but even then at a stretch.

Agree with this, Suarez is also on that list you mention. Imagine we had bought Suarez when we had the chance and put him in the same team as Bale. Any way back to topic, for Rooney to be in that league he would have to influence games on a more consistent basis like Bale did for us last season and Suarez is doing for the Scousers this season. That said he is currently our (England's) best player so we need him to stay fit for the world cup.

Joey Barton has been saying that Rooney had potential to be world class but he hasn't improved since he was at Everton. He compared him with Ronaldo who went on to become possibly the best in the world and mentioned Rooney is lacking mentally, and mentioned how you see him out smoking cigarettes etc.

What do people think? (other than you should never normally listen to Joey Barton obviously!)

I remember back when he first played for England and we all thought he was gonna be a future legend. What changed?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26867861

He's not ****, but he's definitely overrated. How many truly "world class" seasons has he managed to produce? 2 or 3? I would the following players are better than him in our league:

Suarez
Van Persie
Aguero
Hazard
Yaya Toure
David Silva

I would add Juan Mata to that list too - people forget, because he was treated like **** by the "special one" that he was Chelsea's player of the year 2 seasons running and was unplayable against us.

I would add Juan Mata to that list too - people forget, because he was treated like **** by the "special one" that he was Chelsea's player of the year 2 seasons running and was unplayable against us.

I agree and Mata looked excellent again yesterday.

Back