• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rooney - Is he s**t?

hes at man utd.

he might be overratted, he might not be. whats clear to me from reading this thread is that hes definitely not as overrated as gary linekar is lol.

So I guess you think Utd is /are as big as Madrid, Barca and the like?, their not and I guess Ronaldo would say the same. During his time at Barca ( three seasons) Lineker scored 53 goals in 138 games and won two trophys and the only reason he left was because he fell out with Cryuff. As I have said the fact that none of the big Euro teams bought him is that he was not good enough for them.

Lineker didn't fail at Barca, Cruyff decided to go another way and shunted him onto the wing.

He did indeed score plenty from the 6 yard box but he could also score a beauty when the opportunity presented itself, he was two footed, had pace and a telepathic understanding of his team mates, the skill in many of his goals wasn't the finish but the movement to be in exactly the right space at the right time.

So I guess you think Utd is /are as big as Madrid, Barca and the like?,

which teams make up part of "the like" if not man utd? also for someone like rooney, man utd is pretty much as big as it gets. i cant see him wanting to leaving the north, let alone actually leave the country.

their not and I guess Ronaldo would say the same. During his time at Barca ( three seasons) Lineker scored 53 goals in 138 games and won two trophys and the only reason he left was because he fell out with Cryuff. As I have said the fact that none of the big Euro teams bought him is that he was not good enough for them.

rooney fell out with ferguson, but such is his stature in world football that they had to practiacally beg to make him stay. when clubs like man utd and barcelona fall out with a player like linekar, they simply dont see a need to pander to his needs, so are happy to let him go.

also michael owen had a very good goals ratio too in spain. doesnt hide the fact that he simply wasnt good enough long term at that level.

Lineker didn't fail at Barca, Cruyff decided to go another way and shunted him onto the wing.

He did indeed score plenty from the 6 yard box but he could also score a beauty when the opportunity presented itself, he was two footed, had pace and a telepathic understanding of his team mates, the skill in many of his goals wasn't the finish but the movement to be in exactly the right space at the right time.

the thing is, i do genuinely rate linekar. and im in agreement with you in that his movement inside the box was lethal more than the finishing itself (although i do think he was a good finisher too). i'd accept that linekar's penalty box movement is probably better than rooneys too. but come on... comparing him to rooney is ridiculous.

the thing is, i do genuinely rate linekar. and im in agreement with you in that his movement inside the box was lethal more than the finishing itself (although i do think he was a good finisher too). i'd accept that linekar's penalty box movement is probably better than rooneys too. but come on... comparing him to rooney is ridiculous.

yes, because Lineker is a genuine footballing great, one of the finest number 9's ever to play the game

if you rate him that highly you think you would have learned how to spell his name by now ;-)

Neymar, United are not as big as Barca and Madrid simple. Maybe in terms of fanbase they are, but not on the pitch, not even close.

there is an argument with Barca, they are a fairly recent phenomenon, other than a couple of Spanish cups and a solitary title all of their domestic success has come since WWII I believe, also they got all the way to the 90's before winning the European Cup

massive support and historical importance yes, but I'd say they are very much in United's envelope

what sets Madrid apart is that run of EC's in the 50's and the legendary status members of those teams accrued

which teams make up part of "the like" if not man utd? also for someone like rooney, man utd is pretty much as big as it gets. i cant see him wanting to leaving the north, let alone actually leave the country.

Maybe one of the reasons for that is Rooney was/is not good enough for the Madrids and Barcas of this world.

Maybe one of the reasons for that is Rooney was/is not good enough for the Madrids and Barcas of this world.

I don't know about that, they have both had inferior players in the squad over the last decade, quite a few

he's not Robaldo or Messi granted but at his best he was certainly in the second tier

I don't know about that, they have both had inferior players in the squad over the last decade, quite a few

he's not Robaldo or Messi granted but at his best he was certainly in the second tier

As I have said he is a very good player, but second tier at best and the hype the press cover him with is crazy. They do it with a lot of English players and they very rarely live up to it. The press used to go on about the so called " golden generation" ( which Rooney was among) and telling us how many of those players were world class ( when they was only one maybe two imo).

there is an argument with Barca, they are a fairly recent phenomenon, other than a couple of Spanish cups and a solitary title all of their domestic success has come since WWII I believe, also they got all the way to the 90's before winning the European Cup

massive support and historical importance yes, but I'd say they are very much in United's envelope

what sets Madrid apart is that run of EC's in the 50's and the legendary status members of those teams accrued

They've won the league 23 times (Barca that is), a lot of them before 2000.

The majority of Madrid's success came in the before the 90s, since the late 90s Barca have been the dominant team.

Historical success plays a part of course, but you don't get many players leaving Barca or Madrid for any other team through choice. I'm sure Bale would see United as a step down.

As I have said he is a very good player, but second tier at best and the hype the press cover him with is crazy. They do it with a lot of English players and they very rarely live up to it. The press used to go on about the so called " golden generation" ( which Rooney was among) and telling us how many of those players were world class ( when they was only one maybe two imo).

Maybe Ashley Cole and Gerrard. That's about it.

I was more arguing with your point that he wasn't good enough for Barca or Madrid, I'd say that at his peak he was a better player than Larsson or Gudjohnsen, Cassano or Robinho, none of whom struggled to get appearances

They've won the league 23 times (Barca that is), a lot of them before 2000.

The majority of Madrid's success came in the before the 90s, since the late 90s Barca have been the dominant team.

Historical success plays a part of course, but you don't get many players leaving Barca or Madrid for any other team through choice. I'm sure Bale would see United as a step down.

I was referring to the reputation the team has, what they are known for, not just squad strength right now

in recent years they certainly have an edge but United are a long established force, I think historicity is a massive factor

look at Liverpool, it's been 30 odd years since they won the league but everyone in Europe has heard of them

Rooney never really lived up to his massive potential, did he. Very good player with a very good career, but he promised much more than he delivered IMO.

I was referring to the reputation the team has, what they are known for, not just squad strength right now

in recent years they certainly have an edge but United are a long established force, I think historicity is a massive factor

look at Liverpool, it's been 30 odd years since they won the league but everyone in Europe has heard of them

It's a factor, but most players would simply look at who is the better team right now. Most players would pick Chelsea I'd bet over United if they had to choose tomorrow.

Maybe Ashley Cole and Gerrard. That's about it.

depends how you define worldclass i guess. but terry, neville, lampard, scholes, beckham, sol, ferdinand were all some of the best players in their respective roles in the world at some point during the 2000's.

Rooney never really lived up to his massive potential, did he. Very good player with a very good career, but he promised much more than he delivered IMO.

this is where i feel sorry for rooney. he never claimed to be something he was not. just because he was englands best player as a teenager, people expected him to reach the heights of ronaldo, messi, pele, maradona etc. he is a genuine great in his own right. and for me its a big shame that he is not praised more for this.

this is where i feel sorry for rooney. he never claimed to be something he was not. just because he was englands best player as a teenager, people expected him to reach the heights of ronaldo, messi, pele, maradona etc. he is a genuine great in his own right. and for me its a big shame that he is not praised more for this.

If this is to continue ... might we have a bespoke Rooney thread with a poll ?

I think these two have taken things beyond Rooney and others. Before and with Pele there was better, and his legs were different lengths https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrincha.

Back