• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rooney - Is he s**t?

I think that Rooney's significance at Man United is his name far more than anything he does on the pitch. The reason he has got this deal is because they cannot be seen to be losing a big name.

hmmmm that makes no sense.......if his name is far more significant than what he does on the pitch, then it wouldnt be a problem to lose him as a big name. The fans wouldnt mind because he would be perceived as being overrated, and the media would also think that Utd were doing the right thing. So why would Utd not just cash in and find someone better??? Im sure they didnt because as we can see with transfer fees and wages, it would cost a lot more to go and buy someone to replace what Rooney offers

hmmmm that makes no sense.......if his name is far more significant than what he does on the pitch, then it wouldnt be a problem to lose him as a big name. The fans wouldnt mind because he would be perceived as being overrated, and the media would also think that Utd were doing the right thing. So why would Utd not just cash in and find someone better??? Im sure they didnt because as we can see with transfer fees and wages, it would cost a lot more to go and buy someone to replace what Rooney offers

United are going through a period of instability. Losing Rooney may have added to that perception. I do not think that this is because he is a particularly good player but rather because he is the most bankable asset in an otherwise aging and average squad.

You're assuming rationality from fans and the media...

I might rate Rooney higher than milo does, he's still a quality player, but some of milo's points look spot on.

You're assuming rationality from fans and the media...

I might rate Rooney higher than milo does, he's still a quality player, but some of milo's points look spot on.

I don't think that Rooney is a bad player but I don't think that he is £300k a week good either.

Can utd afford to lose him now? Can they attract a player who would guarantee performances to the same standard if not better?

Surely the only ones they can attract would be potential as opposed to a player who can guaranteed hit the ground running.

I kind of understand why United have done it. Also psycholigically it would be a huge blow to lose Rooney to a rival.

Personally, i just think man utd are/were just too worried about losing a player on the cheap (relatively), and rooney just exploited this. i think the same thing happened with nani too. they probably didnt want to sell him for £13-15m and so gave him a 100k+ pw deal. well, they don't have to worry about losing either of these players any time soon.

Can utd afford to lose him now? Can they attract a player who would guarantee performances to the same standard if not better?

Surely the only ones they can attract would be potential as opposed to a player who can guaranteed hit the ground running.

I kind of understand why United have done it. Also psycholigically it would be a huge blow to lose Rooney to a rival.

Even if they don't get CL football with their money and recent history they'll have a massive pull on players come the summer.

Most people other than Mourinho think Mata is brilliant, he had no qualms moving to CL qualification fighting with United from title challenging Chelsea. They should be able to find top class players with the kind of money being talked about here. I mean, this is Zlatan at PSG money isn't it?

nope, compared to Zlatan Rooney is on a pittance

edit: my rough (and therefore questionable) calculations have Zlatan on about 3 times as much

Last edited:
one main reason he's staying his chavvy wife wouldn't handle living in spain or france......."'they talk foreign like there......wayyynneee" and there's no primark.....

in 2012 the 'Rooney' shirt became the highest selling replica shirt in Premier League history.

He is in Nike ads around the world, Turkish Airlines ads, Singha ads throughout Asia, DHL ads for Man Utd. He is everywhere. As ugly as he is, he is a marketing dream for them.

Don't forget he wanted to leave Man Utd quite recently, until they paid up. The tried and tested Lampard/Terry tactic to panic the club into acting. They can't lose the face of their club. Only a few can afford him and his style limits where he can go - his aggressive play won't work in Spain where he'd be sent off every other week, only PSG or Monaco could afford him in France, and Bayern in Germany but he's not smart enough for a Guardiola team. So, Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project. Tried that, didn't work, he's 28 and this will be his last contract.

He is unlikely to reach the peaks of a few seasons ago but he's still very good for them, he will decline and they will be left with a very expensive asset - as long as he sells shirts, do they care? Man Utd spend 400k a week in interest on their loans, as long as the return exceeds the expense they are fine, and having Rooney helps that. Just note the number of commercial deals they have signed in the last few years; car tyres, watches, snack food including a Pringles replica and some noodles in Asia, car partner. All sorts of really random items around the world.

Who can Man Utd find that is better for them at this time? It's opportunism from Rooney and his agent, and it's desperation from Man Utd to hold their big names.

in 2012 the 'Rooney' shirt became the highest selling replica shirt in Premier League history.

He is in Nike ads around the world, Turkish Airlines ads, Singha ads throughout Asia, DHL ads for Man Utd. He is everywhere. As ugly as he is, he is a marketing dream for them.

Don't forget he wanted to leave Man Utd quite recently, until they paid up. The tried and tested Lampard/Terry tactic to panic the club into acting. They can't lose the face of their club. Only a few can afford him and his style limits where he can go - his aggressive play won't work in Spain where he'd be sent off every other week, only PSG or Monaco could afford him in France, and Bayern in Germany but he's not smart enough for a Guardiola team. So, Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project. Tried that, didn't work, he's 28 and this will be his last contract.

He is unlikely to reach the peaks of a few seasons ago but he's still very good for them, he will decline and they will be left with a very expensive asset - as long as he sells shirts, do they care? Man Utd spend 400k a week in interest on their loans, as long as the return exceeds the expense they are fine, and having Rooney helps that. Just note the number of commercial deals they have signed in the last few years; car tyres, watches, snack food including a Pringles replica and some noodles in Asia, car partner. All sorts of really random items around the world.

Who can Man Utd find that is better for them at this time? It's opportunism from Rooney and his agent, and it's desperation from Man Utd to hold their big names.

well if he really is that important financially, then he should sack his agent immediately. The bigwigs at Utd must be laughing their heads off, 300k a week is way below his financial value to them

the 300k is just his salary, i don't think its been released how much he gets from image rights and club led endorsements

well if he really is that important financially, then he should sack his agent immediately. The bigwigs at Utd must be laughing their heads off, 300k a week is way below his financial value to them

Footballers are paid way less than American football players, baseball players and basketball players. Imagine the uproar if that happened in the Premier league.

He's already the highest paid in the league, i'd say the agent is doing pretty well.

none of us really know how valuable rooney is to man utd as a commercial asset. however we can somewhat guess what his value is as a footballer, and then compare him to other players around the world from a commercial standpoint.

rooney is on 300k p/w. thats very close to what the likes of ronaldo and messi get. i dont think its unfair to say that he's not quite the footballer that messi and ronaldo are. so the question we have to ask is: is rooney so much more the face of man utd than messi is of barca, and ronaldo is of real madrid?

i dont think so. i also dont think he could get a deal anything like this anywhere else. hence, i think rooney is a massive winner here, and utd are the massive losers in this deal.

Messi and Ronaldo earn a lot more, in Spain they report take home wage, not salary like we do.

Rooney pays 50% tax, NI and agent fees out of that 300k.

but do they really take much more than £150k p/w after tax?

tbh, i do understand that it is hard to tell exactly. as these wages will be given via tax-schemes marred in complexity as shown recently via the neymar deal.

Last edited:
Back