• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Poll: Now dust has setting, where do you expect us to finish in PL (Minimum?)

Where do you think we should finish in the PL now?

• 1st (Champions)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 2nd

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • 3rd

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • 4th

Votes: 36 37.1%
  • 5th

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • 6th

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All this talk of IF WHY and WHERE....IF we won all 38 games we would be Champions............

The fact is come next May if we are not sitting in the top four then AVB is toast and the Scum from SW18 will be laughing at us for another year....

Who have we sacked with Levy as chairman after a good season? Redknapp? Well we know that was not particularly down to performance although it played a part. The only sacking that is questionable is Jol and that is probably more to the manner and the timing rather than whether he deserved it or not. I think many of us agree he was hard done by but we were hardly having a great season and it was 4th season at the club which maybe gave more weight to the opinion of change being required.

Jol obviously.

Graham was sacked after we won an FA Cup quarter final ffs! I didn't like the man or the manager, but to sack someone after WINNING a cup quarter final is plain stupid. Couldn't they have waited another couple of months? His record against scum as a Spurs manager was actually good.

All this talk of IF WHY and WHERE....IF we won all 38 games we would be Champions............

The fact is come next May if we are not sitting in the top four then AVB is toast and the Scum from SW18 will be laughing at us for another year....

In a nutshell.

Jol obviously.

Graham was sacked after we won an FA Cup quarter final ffs! I didn't like the man or the manager, but to sack someone after WINNING a cup quarter final is plain stupid. Couldn't they have waited another couple of months? His record against scum as a Spurs manager was actually good.

Tbf I had forgotten about Graham and I agree, he should have been given the chance to win the Semi against Arsenal although he wasn't sacked after we beat West Ham in the 6th round, it was a few weeks later before the league game against Arsenal at Highbury, the week before we played them again in the Semi. Instead we got Hoddle in and he changed things about a bit and the players didn't really have time to adapt and we got smashed. I was delighted it stayed 2-1.

But in fairness to Levy, that whole saga was initiated by David Buchler, who was at the time interim chairman whilst people were being put in place following the purchase of the club by ENIC from Alan Sugar. Levy has little or nothing to do with those initial 2-3 months.

Graham's record against Arsenal for us was ok, nothing special. 0-0 draw and 1-3 defeat in 98/99, 2-1 win and 2-1 defeat in 99/00 and 1-1 draw in 00/01

Tbf I had forgotten about Graham and I agree, he should have been given the chance to win the Semi against Arsenal although he wasn't sacked after we beat West Ham in the 6th round, it was a few weeks later before the league game against Arsenal at Highbury, the week before we played them again in the Semi. Instead we got Hoddle in and he changed things about a bit and the players didn't really have time to adapt and we got smashed. I was delighted it stayed 2-1.

But in fairness to Levy, that whole saga was initiated by David Buchler, who was at the time interim chairman whilst people were being put in place following the purchase of the club by ENIC from Alan Sugar. Levy has little or nothing to do with those initial 2-3 months.

Graham's record against Arsenal for us was ok, nothing special. 0-0 draw and 1-3 defeat in 98/99, 2-1 win and 2-1 defeat in 99/00 and 1-1 draw in 00/01

He managed to beat them, something the next 4 or 5 managers couldn't. And they were a much, much better side in Graham's days than they have been in the last 6 or 7 years. We never got embarrassed 3-0 or 5-2.

He managed to beat them, something the next 4 or 5 managers couldn't. And they were a much, much better side in Graham's days than they have been in the last 6 or 7 years. We never got embarrassed 3-0 or 5-2.

I think that is a little unfair. Hoddle couldn't beat them because they were just becoming the invincibles - 01/02 they became champions as they did a in 03/04 as invincibles. Other than that only Jol failed to beat them really. Santini never played them and Pleat was a caretaker manager for the two fixtures in 03/04. Ramos beat them 5-1 in the League Cup and Redknapp had a good record overall against them.

At the end of the day, Graham beat them once - That's it. Other managers in the next 10 years faced better and worse Arsenal sides then he faced during his tenure and results were still generally poor. Mid-Late 90s till we beat them 5-1 was just a very poor period for us while they were moving very much in the other direction so its hardly surprising.

39 punters voted 5th or 6th. Has anyone changed their mind?

Edit: Can the poll be fixed to name the voters?

Last edited:
Tbh I think the top six right now is so damn difficult that fifth or sixth is okay, as long as we display the kind of progress in our performances such that the addition of one or two players next summer could be the "final" building blocks. Our closest rivals in Liverpool and **** are looking strong while Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, and to a less clear extent United have too much damn talent to really struggle for long.

I really think it'll depend heavily on key injuries.

5th in my opinion is not a bad result, 6th is regression.

From a business perspective, we didn't spend 100M for 5th, we spent in for 4th or higher. The question simply is, does AVB have one season or two to achieve it.

I'm expecting AVB and this current squad to make top 4. More importantly though; I think Levy is too. If we just barely miss out on it, then I imagine AVB will be given one more year (right now, Levy seems to be thinking pretty long-term, or at the very least, medium-term). If we aren't at least challenging for top 4 come next April, then AVB won't be with us next season in my view.

Beyond that, I think Levy expects us to have a tilt at the title next season. Eriksen said as much in his interview when he talked about meeting Levy and Baldini and them suggesting that Spurs are aiming for Champions League next season, and title challengers soon after. Chiriches said something similar in his first interview, about Baldini telling him he was coming to Spurs to compete for titles, not just to finish fourth.

That's Levy's plan - 4th minimum this season. 3rd or better the year after. A title by 2016. And I don't think he's finished investing in the team yet. I'd bet my mortgage on the fact that AVB was promised a war-chest for this year that did not include the "Bale money". Looking at our net spend... that's not even been touched. Come January, if any weaknesses have been exposed in the team, I fully expect us to spend big and remedy them. With the stadium plans, additional income from TV and - hopefully - Champions League; plus the rumoured extra interest of Joe Lewis (who I suspect would be helping finance the stadium rather than the wage or transfer budget) I think Levy sees this as the perfect opportunity to lift us up a level.

That's not to say he'll succeed (though obviously we all hope he does); just that I think those are his expectations / plans.

If I ran Spurs that would certainly be my plan.

I'm expecting AVB and this current squad to make top 4. More importantly though; I think Levy is too. If we just barely miss out on it, then I imagine AVB will be given one more year (right now, Levy seems to be thinking pretty long-term, or at the very least, medium-term). If we aren't at least challenging for top 4 come next April, then AVB won't be with us next season in my view.

Beyond that, I think Levy expects us to have a tilt at the title next season. Eriksen said as much in his interview when he talked about meeting Levy and Baldini and them suggesting that Spurs are aiming for Champions League next season, and title challengers soon after. Chiriches said something similar in his first interview, about Baldini telling him he was coming to Spurs to compete for titles, not just to finish fourth.

That's Levy's plan - 4th minimum this season. 3rd or better the year after. A title by 2016. And I don't think he's finished investing in the team yet. I'd bet my mortgage on the fact that AVB was promised a war-chest for this year that did not include the "Bale money". Looking at our net spend... that's not even been touched. Come January, if any weaknesses have been exposed in the team, I fully expect us to spend big and remedy them. With the stadium plans, additional income from TV and - hopefully - Champions League; plus the rumoured extra interest of Joe Lewis (who I suspect would be helping finance the stadium rather than the wage or transfer budget) I think Levy sees this as the perfect opportunity to lift us up a level.

That's not to say he'll succeed (though obviously we all hope he does); just that I think those are his expectations / plans.

If I ran Spurs that would certainly be my plan.

I would say that analysis is on the money. I'd also say Bale was part of his masterplan in the short term until ..well you know the rest. Bale leaving has no doubt accelerated some of our transfers. It has in effect given AVB and Baldini a free pass for this window and as you say, a tidy sum available for January to remedy any squad deficiencies. How good would it be to have a genuine tilt at the title. I never thought I'd be typing that a few short years ago.

minimum? its tough....

for me personally i thin 6th is minimum. mainly due to new faces and retraining philosophoes into players..added to the way other teams are performing and bought

but from the way that the avb acolytes have talked in the past...this year should be AVB's year...so 4th minimum

Why do people insist on stating that we have spent £100m and that we should show some return from that, without stating that we actually sold players to the value of approximately £100m too?

I appreciate that we've had an influx of new, young and exciting players but either the whole of the statistics should be stated, or none of them or you end up having an unbalanced argument. If we state that the side had £100m spent on it then we're totally ignoring that Bale was sold, our best player from last season.

I started a thread, in which I stated that I wasn't scared about facing any opponent and that continues to hold true. I think minimum expectation has to be 4th but I think we can finish higher than that.

To state the obvious, a massive factor in where we finish is how other teams perform. Last year would have got us 4th or 3rd comfortably in previous seasons. This year the bar could be raised further for 4th. Its not just how we do with the new squad, but how those around rack up points.

But this year we have an impressive squad, with genuine depth. Its been said before of our team in previous years, but it wasn't really true. The second team didn't really push first team for a starting place. Now there are 20 odd players who you could make a case for being in the first 11. If we don't make 4th I don't think AVB should automatically be sacked. Here's hoping we can do something impressive this season, whatever that looks like.

AvB will be given another season if he gets 5th. You can't be expected to make a new squad gel instantly.

Five games into the new season and I honestly can say that I haven't seen any club who are significantly better than Tottenham.

That's not to say that I think we're going to win the League, but I expect us to be in the chase and improve on last season's 72 points.

Think we should finish 4th. I dont see that we have worst than the 4th best squad in the leage - only issue is that **** have a system which they're been playing for years so everyone knows what their role is and that brings them a lot of points.

Back