• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pedro Porro

That's half my point though...we train a certain way for when we're playing 11. We kept playing that way when they had 9. It's early days but I thought some alternate thinking/approach might have been needed, especially as the original approach clearly wasn't getting us anywhere.

I'd probably would have replaced Sarr with Veliz earlier,(with 9, their counter attack potential had gone) then overload out wide to get more byline crosses/cutbacks in.

The number of players is a red herring it's no different than facing a park the bus/lowblock team but Liverpool actually having 1 less player than that in a 5-3 formation rather than 5-4

I think the issue wasn't the tactics or numbers but as Ange said a panic about the work and a lack of calm. If we had played the same with some patience and exploited the numbers better we would have won easier IMO.

The plus is we made changes and thr extra legs worked in our favour.

I think like most things there is sometimes an over analysis nature to things.

Definitely improved his defending, I still think he's vulnerable to high crosses when he's defending the back post but it's an easy thing to work on. Unlucky not to score today too.

Definitely improved his defending, I still think he's vulnerable to high crosses when he's defending the back post but it's an easy thing to work on. Unlucky not to score today too.
It's the way Ange got defence set up that leaves the back post a little thin. Often Porro is alone there and easily outnumbered and he is a little guy so headers will always be a risk.

It’s no surprise he is doing well in his role, he was at City where the wing backs were trained to play similarly.

He had an up and down game yesterday, looked abit panicked at times, probably the circumstances. Def progressed massively though

It's the way Ange got defence set up that leaves the back post a little thin. Often Porro is alone there and easily outnumbered and he is a little guy so headers will always be a risk.
Yeah a couple of 2 on 1s IIRC, think we need another body to cover him and work on getting himself postioned to compensate for his height. Will try and look into it a bit more and see if Romero is getting sucked in towards the ball as I haven't noticed it as often from the opposite side.

Rose was always good value aerially for his height and often got clattered for his efforts!

Last edited:

It's the way a lot of teams set up I think.

If you're going to be brave when defending, not just pack the team deep there's going to be some space somewhere. Better to have it wide or at the back post than in the centre.

That does ask a lot from full backs. They get put in difficult positions and have to deal with that at times. Bit of emergency defending, others coming in a little bit late to help out.

I think Porro is dealing with it really well. He's rather good at emergency defending. All of our starting defenders are, I think they have to be.

I’m not sure they were were they? It’s only a recent thing for Pep last 2 or 3 years, was Porro there then?
Pep has always had his FBs come inside at times if they were capable ie. Alves, Alba, Kimmich and of course he famously moved Lahm inside to play in the centre.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Pep has always had his FBs come inside at times if they were capable ie. Alves, Alba, Kimmich and of course he famously moved Lahm inside to play in the centre.

Alves and Alba mostly played on the outside iirc? Kimmich and Lahm did invert at times iirc, but mostly was just used as midfielders I think.

I think the reason he's adapted quickly and well to this role is that he's a highly capable footballer with a rather wide range of qualities particularly technically. And that he was always a better one vs one defender than people gave him credit for.

Alves and Alba mostly played on the outside iirc? Kimmich and Lahm did invert at times iirc, but mostly was just used as midfielders I think.

I think the reason he's adapted quickly and well to this role is that he's a highly capable footballer with a rather wide range of qualities particularly technically. And that he was always a better one vs one defender than people gave him credit for.

Alba and Alves were mostly on the outside but they did come inside at times. Alves especially even before he joined Barca. At Sevilla he was playmamaking from the wider positions and coming inside.

Still had some dodgy moments though. I don't trust him.

Got done by Sterling a few times, who the fudge gets done by Sterling?

It's all hands for a while, but when the cover is there, I'd much rather see Royal start.

Still had some dodgy moments though. I don't trust him.

Got done by Sterling a few times, who the fudge gets done by Sterling?

It's all hands for a while, but when the cover is there, I'd much rather see Royal start.

He does get run past a lot but he works tirelessly. Don’t forget tonight that he might have been carrying an ankle injury too as he went over on his ankle in the first half. So wouldn’t surprise me if he was running on adrenaline and through an injury.

Sterling is so hit and miss. He has something to his game guy his running style is unorthodox. He is direct and gets goals but yes I wouldn’t describe him as the best of wingers when it comes down to running with the ball.

I think Pedro Porro offers more going forwards than Emerson Royal and it’s clear that Ange favours the both feet forward approach rather than being at all conservative in play.

Seemed to spend a lot of time limping tonight. We thought he was struggling towards the end of the first half, and second half he fluxed between limping and sprinting. Definitely not one to give up the fight easily.

Worked really hard but had a few really poor moment s as well, two almost total miskicks, one of which nearly led to a goal when we were well on top.

Back