• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pedro Porro

What a cross for matip's own goal...Richy wasn't going to make it ...but it looked like Veliz (?) at the far post could ...

5b1f179384b27312277ca768e1f0b8f6.jpg

What a cross for matip's own goal...Richy wasn't going to make it ...but it looked like Veliz (?) at the far post could ...

5b1f179384b27312277ca768e1f0b8f6.jpg
It was a bit bizarre this was probably the first (might be wrong) time Porro was fed on the overlap.
Deki was constantly cutting inside looking to swing a cross...with them squeezed within the lines of the penalty box an overlap, and hence the change of angle for a cross was there for the taking. Same on the other side.

We typically kept doing what we were doing even when they had 11. Our FBs and no 8s pushing into the crowded inside space.

It was a bit bizarre this was probably the first (might be wrong) time Porro was fed on the overlap.
Deki was constantly cutting inside looking to swing a cross...with them squeezed within the lines of the penalty box an overlap, and hence the change of angle for a cross was there for the taking. Same on the other side.

We typically kept doing what we were doing even when they had 11. Our FBs and no 8s pushing into the crowded inside space.
I think the number of players was causing our players to have some issues.
Maddison said you don’t train for that
We as fans think they must….
It was slow play and nothing that was pulling them out of shape as they are already experienced at this
I said to my mate 30 mins to go, the only way we win this is with a Carragher OG. Matip was their best player too after Allison (top top keeper)

Porto has looked a lot better this season but he needs to work on his defending crosses at the far post, he was caught out early in the Woolwich game and for Liverpools goal yesterday, it's a common error most fullbacks come in to early to cover centrebacks, just need to be aware of players coming in behind him.

I think the number of players was causing our players to have some issues.
Maddison said you don’t train for that
We as fans think they must….
It was slow play and nothing that was pulling them out of shape as they are already experienced at this
I said to my mate 30 mins to go, the only way we win this is with a Carragher OG. Matip was their best player too after Allison (top top keeper)
That's half my point though...we train a certain way for when we're playing 11. We kept playing that way when they had 9. It's early days but I thought some alternate thinking/approach might have been needed, especially as the original approach clearly wasn't getting us anywhere.

I'd probably would have replaced Sarr with Veliz earlier,(with 9, their counter attack potential had gone) then overload out wide to get more byline crosses/cutbacks in.

The number of players is a red herring it's no different than facing a park the bus/lowblock team but Liverpool actually having 1 less player than that in a 5-3 formation rather than 5-4

That's half my point though...we train a certain way for when we're playing 11. We kept playing that way when they had 9. It's early days but I thought some alternate thinking/approach might have been needed, especially as the original approach clearly wasn't getting us anywhere.

I'd probably would have replaced Sarr with Veliz earlier,(with 9, their counter attack potential had gone) then overload out wide to get more byline crosses/cutbacks in.

The number of players is a red herring it's no different than facing a park the bus/lowblock team but Liverpool actually having 1 less player than that in a 5-3 formation rather than 5-4
The bench didn’t have the options to do a lot more against 8 men parked in the box
It’s exactly what you said
They played a very disciplined low block

Frustrating, wasn't it. Seemed so obvious that we needed someone to get wide or get to the byline and stretch things and cause more chaos. No point just chipping crosses into Matip and Van Dijk.

With the benefit of hindsight I would suggest taking Sarr off, bringing Emerson on to protect against the counter attacks and move Kulu into the middle and Porro to RW for a better overlap. Kulu and Maddison in the centre would have given more passing options as well so two for the price of one.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

With the benefit of hindsight I would suggest taking Sarr off, bringing Emerson on to protect against the counter attacks and move Kulu into the middle and Porro to RW for a better overlap. Kulu and Maddison in the centre would have given more passing options as well so two for the price of one.

Or maybe we should have considered playing Kulu down the left flank so he could whip crosses in with his stronger foot.

Said something similar in the OMT.

I think we're focused on "plan A" for now, understandable that the players keep doing the same thing. Hoping that as we progress we start mixing it up a bit more when it's needed or advantageous. Both Porro and Udogie can do that overlapping thing for example.

Seems that Ange wants the players to have the freedom to find those solutions. But we're a young team too, so it's understandable that they're not yet at that level where they're finding those when the game conditions change drastically.

I think we're focused on "plan A" for now, understandable that the players keep doing the same thing. Hoping that as we progress we start mixing it up a bit more when it's needed or advantageous. Both Porro and Udogie can do that overlapping thing for example.

Seems that Ange wants the players to have the freedom to find those solutions. But we're a young team too, so it's understandable that they're not yet at that level where they're finding those when the game conditions change drastically.

It's hard to tell

- We laboured against a very well organized two banks of 8 with VVD & Allison playing out of their skins
- We tried to go through the middle too much, logically we should have tried to stretch them more (your point about young team)

That said
- That said, Son & Maddison were still not 100%
- Part of our system is we play the same way/tempo and it tires the opposition into a mistake (late goals will be a feature)

I would say Udogie probably overlaps more than Porro, and Porro's end product is probably slightly better, so we should see it more

I agree.
I thought Ange initially at full time looked like he had a head of thoughts whirring round. (rather than fist pumping and smiling considering it was a last minute winner situation).

He's the type of manager that's never satisfied, and I bet some of that was with himself. He's effected most games brilliantly with his subs, perhaps he didn't have the depth on the bench Saturday? I'm not so sure about him delivering tactical shifts, and that's perhaps because we are so new to his plan A setup that that's the focus, plus you have to bare in mind that tactically shifting to make the best of facing 9 men is probably a fair way down the coaching manual.
We take the lessons though and try to improve.

Or maybe we should have considered playing Kulu down the left flank so he could whip crosses in with his stronger foot.
Kulu along with Maddison in the centre would have given two possible sources of line breaking passes as well as improved triangle passing options. While still having Porro out wide ready and able to whip in crosses. It would keep the Liverpool defence on its toes as the attack could have been more varied.

Just Kulu on the left whipping in crosses would have still played into Liverpool's hands. He's not really got the game of a traditional winger. The way he dribbles I don't really see that as being a great position for him. When he moves inside he looks good and what we suffered from on Saturday was Liverpool closing all the space and passing lanes centrally and wanted us to play crosses in.

Honest VVD and Matip would eaten up any aerial crosses all day.

It's hard to tell

- We laboured against a very well organized two banks of 8 with VVD & Allison playing out of their skins
- We tried to go through the middle too much, logically we should have tried to stretch them more (your point about young team)

That said
- That said, Son & Maddison were still not 100%
- Part of our system is we play the same way/tempo and it tires the opposition into a mistake (late goals will be a feature)

I would say Udogie probably overlaps more than Porro, and Porro's end product is probably slightly better, so we should see it more

Two banks of eight? No wonder we struggled. ;)

Mr Porro has very fast feet and is one of several players we have who is somewhat "press-resistant".

We seem to enjoy playing in tight triangles under pressure close to our own goal but not so much near the opposition's penalty area.

Mr Porro has very fast feet and is one of several players we have who is somewhat "press-resistant".

We seem to enjoy playing in tight triangles under pressure close to our own goal but not so much near the opposition's penalty area.

This version of the squad is definitely built around two things, 1/Press resistant to your point (we actually invite it), 2/Technical ability (as an 11, it's the best I can recall)

Back