• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Passing Chalkboards thread

It's not the number of attempted passes so much as the poor completion rate. Look at the Cardiff game, when we were 21/40 by comparison.

I think from the passing stats here it shows that Naughton, Ericksen and (especially) Sigurdsson were not nearly involved enough in the game.

Without watching the whole match again I can't really comment on whether this was due to their teammates not trusting them enough to give them the ball or from a general lack of movement from them.

It also seems that we didn't get Erickson on the ball in advanced enough positions. His skill and vision are such that he is a player that can be passed the ball even when he is tightly marked. I think Erickson usually plays in that pocket between the oppositions defence and midfield, but on Sunday that pocket didn't really exist due to West Ham's defensive formation. I wonder whether against teams that look to park the bus we should look to get Erickson further forward so he is up very close to our striker? He can then be given the ball with no worry if he loses it in such an advanced position and his skill and vision are more likely to unlock their defence and/or win us free kicks around the edge of their area.

Be interesting to know just how many times a top level side receives a pass inside the area during a game. Are we actually that far behind? Because that to me looks quite promising? Getting the ball in their box 27 times sounds a lot to me. Also most of these will be through balls that don't quite come off or are slightly overhit, or crosses that are put in the box (although the quality of these could be good or bad).

I bet there are many teams in PL fixtures that dont get close to 27.

Would be good to find out though.

One thing is for sure, playing with only 1 poacher-style striker these passes and crosses need to be of a better quality to create some genuine clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities

I couldn't find an league average stat anywhere, so had a gander at Squawka' chalkboards and FWIW...

Everton completed 12 of 33 passes into the Spammers box at Upton Park the other week whilst Hull required only 4 of 21 to beat the Spammers at the KC.

Against Chavski we completed 6 of 20 whilst they were accurate with 9 of 36 passes into our area.

Spurs completed 19 of 44 passes into Cardiff' penalty area last month compared to Emirates Marketing Project who lost despite completing 22 of 60 passes into the box!

Spurs completed 12 of 34 passes into the box against Norwich, Hull were accurate with 4 of 18 attempts and Chavski managed 15 of 34 (at Carrow Road).

Against L'ARSEnal we completed 11 of 37 passes into their area whilst they were accurate with 10 of 25 attempts.

Spurs completed 6 of 26 attempted passes into Swansea' area, Southampton managed 7 of 25 passes in their 2-0 victory whilst L'ARSEnal only required 4 of 12 to win at the Liberty.

Spurs completed 16 of 29 passes at Palace, Swansea managed 15 of 28 on their way to a 2-0 victory at Selhurst Park and Liverpool succeeded with 22 of 49 at Anfield this weekend.

:-k

I couldn't find an league average stat anywhere, so had a gander at Squawka' chalkboards and FWIW...

Everton completed 12 of 33 passes into the Spammers box at Upton Park the other week whilst Hull required only 4 of 21 to beat the Spammers at the KC.

Against Chavski we completed 6 of 20 whilst they were accurate with 9 of 36 passes into our area.

Spurs completed 19 of 44 passes into Cardiff' penalty area last month compared to Emirates Marketing Project who lost despite completing 22 of 60 passes into the box!

Spurs completed 12 of 34 passes into the box against Norwich, Hull were accurate with 4 of 18 attempts and Chavski managed 15 of 34 (at Carrow Road).

Against L'ARSEnal we completed 11 of 37 passes into their area whilst they were accurate with 10 of 25 attempts.

Spurs completed 6 of 26 attempted passes into Swansea' area, Southampton managed 7 of 25 passes in their 2-0 victory whilst L'ARSEnal only required 4 of 12 to win at the Liberty.

Spurs completed 16 of 29 passes at Palace, Swansea managed 15 of 28 on their way to a 2-0 victory at Selhurst Park and Liverpool succeeded with 22 of 49 at Anfield this weekend.

:-k

Wow, Some good digging.. appreciate the effort!

not sure what to conclude from though :-k

L'**** have made a habit of not rushing their play and often end up dingdonging around waiting for the right opportunity to show itself whereas other teams could be swinging in crosses as often as they can in the knowledge that eventually one will pay off.

If I've done the maths on Squawk's chalkboard figures correctly our completion rate for passes into the box would appear to be about average:

Tottenham: passes completed 70; total passes 190; percentage completed 36.84%

The Rest: passes completed 124; total passes 341; percentage completed 36.36%

However it has to be said that Hull's overall completion rate of just 8 from 39 (20.51%) skewes the average for the rest somewhat negatively.

It's not the number of attempted passes so much as the poor completion rate. Look at the Cardiff game, when we were 21/40 by comparison.

The Cardiff game is hardly the standard though, we dominated them and sat inside their box for decent periods. If anything that is the opposite extreme.

EPUWE7z.jpg

7BK4KEM.jpg

b8czROs.jpg

23KjcCV.jpg

o4ilRL0.jpg

btLwbrR.jpg

E2lcXib.jpg

aBQoCcn.jpg

728c2Hf.jpg

focKHzY.jpg

5lSVn4l.jpg

REaQZz6.jpg

HPrcYQ7.jpg

HEu5P9l.jpg

Vertonghen completed twice as many passes against Villa as Naughton did against West Ham in a pretty similar game.

Vertonghen completed twice as many passes against Villa as Naughton did against West Ham in a pretty similar game.

Great to actually have a left footed LB in the team for a change to create some width on that flank \o/

Very much a game of 2 havles with regard to cutting edge in the final third, the 1st half being almost as inept as we were against Spammers but the 2nd being a bit more like our 1st halves against Norwich and Chavski.

Wouldn't blame naughton for that though. It's a symptom of playing a rb at lb.
Besides, as mentioned previously not only was Naughton's completion rate among the best, he also produced the most telling forward pass of that match. Wasn't his fault Paulhinho failed to make the most of it.

I find the Holtby one interesting. He did have some telling contributions but I thought he was a little all over the place and the chalkboard would confirm this. For me he needs to at the point of the triangle and demand the ball from the two CM's. He needs to show a little more positional discipline IMHO.

I find the Holtby one interesting. He did have some telling contributions but I thought he was a little all over the place and the chalkboard would confirm this. For me he needs to at the point of the triangle and demand the ball from the two CM's. He needs to show a little more positional discipline IMHO.
True it seems like he was all over the place but from what i've noticed that's often because he's trying to put himself in space to receive the ball or provide support in pressing. On occasion his vision in positioning himself has been inspired imo.

True it seems like he was all over the place but from what i've noticed that's often because he's trying to put himself in space to receive the ball or provide support in pressing. On occasion his vision in positioning himself has been inspired imo.

The pressing is a different discussion really, but I guess you mean his pressing pulls him out of position. Do I have that right?

His passing in our half was all back or sidewards which would probably indicate he just received the ball and laid it off before moving forward again. This would tally with my recollection too. I do appreciate the need to recycle possession but I think we do that well enough without the number 10 dropping that deep. For me he needs to play more centrally and be the link to the three attackers. For the most of the game that link was provided by the direct running of Townsend, which is all well and good but it make us rather one dimensional. In this chalkboard Holtby is wide and deep too frequently to affect the play as he should. Just my opinion mind.

Last edited:
The pressing is a different discussion really, but I guess you mean his pressing pulls him out of position. Do I have that right?

His passing in our half was all back or sidewards which would probably indicate he just received the ball and laid it off before moving forward again. This would tally with my recollection too. I do appreciate the need to recycle possession but I think we do that well enough without the number 10 dropping that deep. For me he needs to play more centrally and be the link to the three attackers. For the most of the game that link was provided by the direct running of Townsend, which is all well and good but it make us rather one dimensional. In this chalkboard Holtby is wide and deep too frequently to affect the play as he should. Just my opinion mind.

Cannot pretend to have a grasp of AVB's tactics so wouldn't know which it is, whether being pulled out of position or following instructions. He is clearly no Modric but didn't we used to applaud the Croatioan for the way he covered every blade of grass?

As to backward / sideways passes, I'm pretty sure one of those, admittedly well in their half, was the one to Paulinho in space on the edge of the box who in turn fed Soldado for the second goal. Point I'm making is you have to be cautious about drawing too many conclusions from a chalkboard.

Back