• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Passing Chalkboards thread

I like Dawson's lower trajectory cross field passes this season. He's like a golfer on top of his long game.

yeah those were nice to watch, plus it gives the receiving player a chance to use the pace on the ball to start his move.

that backheel though ....:-k:

UyGdM63.jpg

UySzSwq.jpg

V08kaxZ.jpg

OCM7Zj9.jpg

fFkyNsK.jpg

6xBB2L8.jpg

OFMTCSI.jpg

3LAF9A0.jpg

aSz92Ob.jpg

5IDWZtD.jpg

2VsLJ8P.jpg

yMYRIeV.jpg

gjACX92.jpg

ZBTIA0g.jpg

Wow, the Moose really wasn't involved today eh?

To me this is his biggest flaw. Just doesn't seem to have much desire or urgency to get on the ball. And is very conservative in his passing. Starting to wonder about him...

i have to say ive become quite disillusioned with Dembele after his initial impressive period

To me at least Dembele's strengths are less important to us as a team this season as Paulinho and Capoue have some of the same strengths.

At the same time so far we lack players in our starting 11 that properly compensate for some of Dembele's weaknesses.

That has made him look a lot less useful than he did last season. He needs to step it up a level, like most of our established first team players that have now been given additional competition for their place by a new signing.

I think he's shown that he's not capable of being the hub of a quick passing side, at this point at least. How would he look playing next to someone like Erikson, Holtby or Carroll in our 4-3-3 lineup today instead of Paulinho. Where that other player can be the primary pass and move player, perhaps allowing Dembele to utilize more of his strengths whilst compensating for some of his weaknesses.

For me at least that will be interesting to see. Right now if we bring Eriksen for example into the lineup we saw today (assuming Sandro replacing the injured Capoue and Lamela replacing Townsend) he will probably come in for Dembele, not Paulinho. So, like I said, Dembele has to prove himself and step it up another level. A very good thing imo.

Maybe we should just acknowledge that Dembele is going through a bad spell. Every player on the planet suffers it sooner or later. We just need to cut him some slack.

Meanwhile get Erikson or Holtby in until the parcel falls into their laps.

just look at the total number of balls played into the box from Sig, Townsend, and Eriksen......just shocking.

Embarrassing comparing Naughton and Siggy's amount of passes to Walker and Townsends.

Most of the play went down the right. Given that Naughton had the highest accuracy, perhaps he should have been used more?

Those maps just don't tell the full story do they though. For instance, could you tell that the defence-splitting pass Naughton sent down the flank to put Paulinho in clear space on the edge of the area first half was arguably the most telling of the match?

Also it shows all three of Dawson's long diagonal balls failed to find a Spurs man, but one directly led to a corner (okay, only a corner, but still an attacking opportunity for us) and Sigurdsson (I think it was) only just failed to prevent a second going out of play.

just look at the total number of balls played into the box from Sig, Townsend, and Eriksen......just shocking.
In spite of that I thought Townsend's crosses looked pretty decent. But West Ham packed there area with bodies the whole game so even when a cross looks on target at the time it's sent over, chances are it's going to be intercepted.

Something I've noticed about Dembele. As well as always picking the safe pass (eventually), he nearly always wants to pass towards the left wing, to the extent that he doesn't even look up to the right. On occasions in Sunday's game we had players in space on the right (and no left wing) and he would still play it to the left without looking right.

I love the way he shields the ball and glides past players, but as the co-commentator on my Spanish stream put it: 'es mas estetico que efectivo'. It's frustrating because he has unique abilities that could be put to much better use.

Total passes ending inside the opponent's area: 27
Completed: 7

Atrocious.

Be interesting to know just how many times a top level side receives a pass inside the area during a game. Are we actually that far behind? Because that to me looks quite promising? Getting the ball in their box 27 times sounds a lot to me. Also most of these will be through balls that don't quite come off or are slightly overhit, or crosses that are put in the box (although the quality of these could be good or bad).

I bet there are many teams in PL fixtures that dont get close to 27.

Would be good to find out though.

One thing is for sure, playing with only 1 poacher-style striker these passes and crosses need to be of a better quality to create some genuine clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities

Back