• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our defenders - rated overall in their time with Spurs

My ratings are based on their entire time at Spurs so an averaged response .

Sanchez - he's had some good moments, particularly the latter end of Mou's first season but he makes stupid decisions gets affected and is too jittery and too easily ruffled.4

Royal - Excellent 1 on 1 defender but poor overall offensively. As I'm weighting defensive quality higher he gets a 6/7

Perisic - has no defensive quality 1

Dier - I don't recall having any complaints about him when he played as RB where he would get a 7 but as a CB he's poor and has been consistently poor. [/b]4[/b]

Romero - 7

Sessegnon - poor, poor defender. His attack does not make up for it. 2

Tanganga - I remember having really high hopes for him and I still think he has some potential but for us ultimately 3

Davies - was a good LB for the first half of his time here until he became physically incapable of the role. Quietly effective as a LCB but not amazing. 6

Lenglet - some good so far some bad so far, will judge at the end of the season.

Reguilon - best LB on the books, excellent before his injury and then surprisingly poor afterwards. 6

Rodon - N/A
Spence - N/A
Udogie - N/A

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It is a team game but we have to be allowed to critique individual players too and the defensive unit has been poor all around (including the keeper) for a large part of the season. Granted individual attacking players like Son have been poor but we’ve still scored plenty of goals as a team. Under poch we had Walker, Verts, Toby and Rose. We’ve not replaced any of them adequately. Romero being the only one who comes close. Dier, Davies, Sess and Royal are poor replacements for the defensive unit Poch had. Can’t really blame the managers either as they’ve been poor under multiple managers. It’s a failure in the recruitment more than anything.

Don’t get me wrong I'm not saying that some don't deserve criticism, because they certainly do, but just as a good system, work ethic and a strong team bond can mask deficiencies a lack of them can make the most talented team look bad.
For whatever reason we as a club have not been able to put together a team that is pulling in the same direction.

Don’t get me wrong I'm not saying that some don't deserve criticism, because they certainly do, but just as a good system, work ethic and a strong team bond can mask deficiencies a lack of them can make the most talented team look bad.
For whatever reason we as a club have not been able to put together a team that is pulling in the same direction.
Yeh exactly this, watching it back today I actually had a level of sympathy for the back 3....to an extent.

The midfield offered zero cover, PEH was again back to his flat footedness and wasn't tracking and we were often outnumbered

Porros horror show was evident so he wasn't helping and neither was Perisic who really needs to just to being a replacement for Son in what's historically been his strongest role if we ever drop him.

Again not giving the back 3 a free pass as they were equally shocking but they were certainly not alone yesterday and a regardless of how good or bad a defence is you can't do anything unless there is an team effort to wanna defend as a unit, we did nothing of the sort yesterday

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Yeh exactly this, watching it back today I actually had a level of sympathy for the back 3....to an extent.

The midfield offered zero cover, PEH was again back to his flat footedness and wasn't tracking and we were often outnumbered

Porros horror show was evident so he wasn't helping and neither was Perisic who really needs to just to being a replacement for Son in what's historically been his strongest role if we ever drop him.

Again not giving the back 3 a free pass as they were equally shocking but they were certainly not alone yesterday and a regardless of how good or bad a defence is you can't do anything unless there is an team effort to wanna defend as a unit, we did nothing of the sort yesterday

Son lost the ball more than anyone
If the ball doesn’t stick when played out your instantly under pressure
Kane was invisible and Kulu was gash and it starts from the top
Against city we had attackers pressing but also retaining possession
That is key for any team and massively contributes to defensive sides of the game

interesting thread as I just put myself through the pain of watching the highlights again on MOTD and I can honestly say I don’t want any of the defence to start another game again, apart from Porro as too early. What makes it depressing is that obviously that’s totally unrealistic and we are stuck with this bunch of shirkers and clowns.
The thing about that defence yesterday was the back 4 had not been drilled together and played like a collection of individuals. but nevertheless, Dier who is experienced had an absolute shocker. He's the one that should be martialing them not stepping up unless everyone steps up with him.

He missed easy headed clearances, stepped up without realizing a player was in a pocket of space between him and the rest of the defensive line, he repeatedly stood off the player about to shoot which led to 2 goals. Hell if you make the mistake the first time, do something different the second. Instead he did the same thing over and over again.

Contrast with Faes, the Leicester CB, who had clearly been told to go in hard and early on Kane to stop him from play making. I read on the OMT that the front 3 played crap. Well certainly in Kane's case it wasn't that, it was that he was so well martialed by the Leicester defence. Btw Faes showed Romero how to defend against a world class striker. He got yellow carded early for a mistimed tackle from behind but then defended brilliantly afterwards timing his interceptions better. Romero, on the other hand cleared out Haarland in his half of the pitch and picked up a pointless yellow.

Seriously we made Leicester look like world beaters yesterday. The score line flattered us.

Last edited:
And it's just a bad take that he gets too many cards. He had 11 all last season and is behind some Spurs players, including a player we all rate highly in Bentancur.

City was his first Red for us too...People talk like he is getting carded regular....he isn't

Plus he is a defender who actually defends and makes contact, that brings with it cards, maybe if others got near a player games like today wouldn't happen but they stand off like Dier.

Disagree mate. He is a good defender when he focuses solely on that side but he thinks he engages in the dark arts but is not subtle or clever enough to get away with it. His 2 yellows against City cost us yesterday because he wasn't there.

Disagree mate. He is a good defender when he focuses solely on that side but he thinks he engages in the dark arts but is not subtle or clever enough to get away with it. His 2 yellows against City cost us yesterday because he wasn't there.
Bit harsh TBH 10 of them yesterday were diabolical...that's not purely on him

‘The midfield offered zero cover’ is a statement I see on here too much. It is almost impossible for the midfield two to provide cover because they are usually outnumbered due to us hiding away poor players in a back 3.

A back three shouldn’t need nearly as much cover as a system that uses 2 CBs, as the ‘spare’ 3rd defender (Dier in our case) is at the expense of the deep midfielder you would have playing instead.

It makes no sense to play with 3 CBs and then also expect one of our two central midfielders to have to act as a shield for them.

The problem we have is that our spare defender isn’t a good player, he is limited on the ball and we tend to often see him play no coherent part in our defending when the opposition create or score goals. I can’t help but think we wouldn’t be FAR better playing with two CBs with a high quality defemnsive midfield playmaker in front of them…. Of course this would also rely on us bringing in a proper partner for Romero as I don’t think any of our other CBs are close to good enough to play in a 2.

Last edited:
We normally batter Leicster
They hate us

I went to the game, it’s quite strange how much they hate us given they won the league and we didn’t. I suspect it might be because the media were talking us up at the time as being potential champions and Leicester felt slighted by that. They’ve got a chip on their shoulder for sure.

I went to the game, it’s quite strange how much they hate us given they won the league and we didn’t. I suspect it might be because the media were talking us up at the time as being potential champions and Leicester felt slighted by that. They’ve got a chip on their shoulder for sure.
It’s years old
Over land and sea… and Lestah
They hate Kane more than anyone
It’s weird

‘The midfield offered zero cover’ is a statement I see on here too much. It is almost impossible for the midfield two to provide cover because they are usually outnumbered due to us hiding away poor players in a back 3.

A back three shouldn’t need nearly as much cover as a system that uses 2 CBs, as the ‘spare’ 3rd defender (Dier in our case) is at the expense of the deep midfielder you would have playing instead.

It makes no sense to play with 3 CBs and then also expect one of our two central midfielders to have to act as a shield for them.

The problem we have is that our spare defender isn’t a good player, he is limited on the ball and we tend to often see him play no coherent part in our defending when the opposition create or score goals. I can’t help but think we wouldn’t be FAR better playing with two CBs with a high quality defemnsive midfield playmaker in front of them…. Of course this would also rely on us bringing in a proper partner for Romero as I don’t think any of our other CBs are close to good enough to play in a 2.
Yeh but i never said it was just because the two in midfield was poor, i have been vocal and critical on here of Conte who clearly has no intention of reverting to a 3 in midfield when that seems to be an option.

Sarr or Skipp are clearly more defensive minded by nature than PEH and Bentancur and would offer more cover playing in a three with those two, PEH is clearly better as shown in internationals going the other way.

Like I say it's not a defence of the defence as they made rank bad decisions at times but equally some of the decisions on the teams sheet ain't helping them.

they hated us before that, even when we were brick and O’Neill was there it was their cup final

As is, but Conte will not deviate from a 3.

Just seen that Hipi fella from Lever has signed a new contract, bang goes any cheaper deal for him

The midfielders still need to do the defensive side of the game or do you think that 3 CBs should be able to cope with teams that have 5 or 6 in attacking moves? The midfield 2 don't have to sit in front of the back 3 but they do need to track the runners from midfield and not just stand and watch them run unmarked into our box. That has happened loads of times this season and led directly to goals.

The midfielders still need to do the defensive side of the game or do you think that 3 CBs should be able to cope with teams that have 5 or 6 in attacking moves? The midfield 2 don't have to sit in front of the back 3 but they do need to track the runners from midfield and not just stand and watch them run unmarked into our box. That has happened loads of times this season and led directly to goals.

If they are taking mostly defensive actions then they'll constantly be deep and fighting fire. We've had this problem previously when the whole team ends up in our own penalty box and can't get out. We need the middle two to have a little freedom to play forward and not constantly be covering in.

If they are taking mostly defensive actions then they'll constantly be deep and fighting fire. We've had this problem previously when the whole team ends up in our own penalty box and can't get out. We need the middle two to have a little freedom to play forward and not constantly be covering in.

It's not taking mostly defensive actions. When we lose the ball they should be dropping and tracking runners from midfield.
Do you see any team were the midfielders and forwards twiddle their thumbs while their team is on the defensive?
No, they drop and help the defense.

Back