• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our defenders - rated overall in their time with Spurs

Think anything more than a 6/10 for his play as a CB or RB is generous mate. Was good at DM for one year and it’s been pretty pants ever since besides last year which was good but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

One mitigation is that he's never had a suitable partner. Romero is the wrong sort of player to complement him. But I do wonder if he could be a decent Dawson/Alderweireld, if we found a new King/Vertonghen.

The question is why can't we scout/coach good defenders? I miss the days of Vert, Alder, Rose and Walker. The sometimes had dips but nowhere near as cack as we have now

I think there are some harsh ratings here coloured by a brick show, and I am as harsh as they come when it's down to performances. A (central) defence needs a vocal leader/organizer and it needs to be settled. Pick it and stick with it. A good defence is rarely bought, it's developed. Add to that, I think Hugo contributes more than just saving shots.

And Leicester is a bogey team for us, as is West Ham. Just as we are Emirates Marketing Project's.

One mitigation is that he's never had a suitable partner. Romero is the wrong sort of player to complement him. But I do wonder if he could be a decent Dawson/Alderweireld, if we found a new King/Vertonghen.

With all due respect, we shouldn’t be approaching it from a point of view of trying to find a partner for Dier, he’s been here 9 years and he’s not good enough. We should be looking to replace him. Should have done years ago. Compare this team to the Poch years, I can’t think of a single position in the team where we are better than we were under poch. CB being the worst affected area.

I think there are some harsh ratings here coloured by a brick show, and I am as harsh as they come when it's down to performances. A (central) defence needs a vocal leader/organizer and it needs to be settled. Pick it and stick with it. A good defence is rarely bought, it's developed. Add to that, I think Hugo contributes more than just saving shots.

And Leicester is a bogey team for us, as is West Ham. Just as we are Emirates Marketing Project's.

I'm not sure about that. Chemistry and understanding come into it more I think, and sometimes you can just strike upon that from cold.

A bit of talking as you communicate what your opponents are up to - absolutely. But you only really shout when things are fudged. A bit like an argument - if defenders are shouting, they've already lost.

With all due respect, we shouldn’t be approaching it from a point of view of trying to find a partner for Dier, he’s been here 9 years and he’s not good enough. We should be looking to replace him. Should have done years ago. Compare this team to the Poch years, I can’t think of a single position in the team where we are better than we were under poch. CB being the worst affected area.

I wouldn't start him. I'd have him understudying Romero, occasionally coming in to partner a King/Vertonghen.

Of our last 11 games against them we’ve won 8.
I stand corrected, don't have stats on that. But in my mind I have them as a team that seems to stick it to us regardless of form and position. As are teams starting with B. Might be further back maybe.

I stand corrected, don't have stats on that. But in my mind I have them as a team that seems to stick it to us regardless of form and position. As are teams starting with B. Might be further back maybe.
We normally batter Leicster
They hate us

I'm not sure about that. Chemistry and understanding come into it more I think, and sometimes you can just strike upon that from cold.

A bit of talking as you communicate what your opponents are up to - absolutely. But you only really shout when things are fudged. A bit like an argument - if defenders are shouting, they've already lost.
I'd say that chemistry and understanding each others (weaknesses and strengths) comes from playing together regularly. Learning and build experience together. Filling gaps for each other. Commanding and delegating areas, unless you are marking man for man which I don't think anyone does past elementary school. That's hard if even possible to coach. You can certainly find defenders who can plop in and make an immidiate impact, but I consider them rare unless your defence is really brick. We would not be where we are if it was really brick.

We normally batter Leicster
They hate us
I will concede that my information since 2018 is somewhat outdated.

Edit: until our latest winning streak (2021-) we'd lost exactly as many as we'd won (12) in the PL era. Can't remember any period during which I considered them a better team than us, even the season they won the league. Might explain why my subconciousness gives me a bad feeling when we're facing them.

Last edited:
In all honesty I don't like threads like this.
Its a team game and i don't think we have looked like a team for a long time.
We look like a collection of players with a couple of partnerships that elevate us for short intervals.
Almost all of those partnerships are either gone or busted, and more worryingly i don't see any sign of new ones forming.

In all honesty I don't like threads like this.
Its a team game and i don't think we have looked like a team for a long time.
We look like a collection of players with a couple of partnerships that elevate us for short intervals.
Almost all of those partnerships are either gone or busted, and more worryingly i don't see any sign of new ones forming.

It is a team game but we have to be allowed to critique individual players too and the defensive unit has been poor all around (including the keeper) for a large part of the season. Granted individual attacking players like Son have been poor but we’ve still scored plenty of goals as a team. Under poch we had Walker, Verts, Toby and Rose. We’ve not replaced any of them adequately. Romero being the only one who comes close. Dier, Davies, Sess and Royal are poor replacements for the defensive unit Poch had. Can’t really blame the managers either as they’ve been poor under multiple managers. It’s a failure in the recruitment more than anything.

He gets way too many cards to be an 8

So did Ramos who is deemed to be by some as one of the best. Getting yellows doesn’t mean he’s a poor defender, if his style is assertive and aggressive and this leads to more cards but that he can get under the skin of opposition players, can put them off, and he continues to win excellent challenges the rest of the time then the overall package is an 8.

So did Ramos who is deemed to be by some as one of the best. Getting yellows doesn’t mean he’s a poor defender, if his style is assertive and aggressive and this leads to more cards but that he can get under the skin of opposition players, can put them off, and he continues to win excellent challenges the rest of the time then the overall package is an 8.
And it's just a bad take that he gets too many cards. He had 11 all last season and is behind some Spurs players, including a player we all rate highly in Bentancur.

City was his first Red for us too...People talk like he is getting carded regular....he isn't

Plus he is a defender who actually defends and makes contact, that brings with it cards, maybe if others got near a player games like today wouldn't happen but they stand off like Dier.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Sanchez - 6
Royal - 6
Perisic - 4 (defence only)
Dier - 5
Romero - 7
Sessegnon - 5
Tanganga - 5
Davies - 5
Lenglet - 6
Reguilon - 6
Rodon - 5

Ratings for top 4 chasing team ought to be 7 average across the back four.

Walker, Toby, verts, Rose - at their peak together we were flying up front.

I think if we had bastoni, mee and Tarkowski today we would be OK. We're so close, yet so far.

There's been a fair bit of discussion about the quality (or lack of) of our defenders. I thought I'd get an idea of what people ratings out of 10 they'd give our defenders for the time they've been with Spurs.

For me.

Sanchez - 4
Royal - 5
Perisic - 5
Dier - 4
Romero - 7
Sessegnon - 4
Tanganga - 4
Davies - 6
Lenglet - 5
Reguilon - 5
Rodon - 4
Spence - N/A
Udogie - N/A

I'm actually amazed looking at that list at how many bang average/low quality defenders we have in the squad.

It also begs the question are they all simply not that good, or is it poor coaching/tactics/management? I'd say a combination of both.

interesting thread as I just put myself through the pain of watching the highlights again on MOTD and I can honestly say I don’t want any of the defence to start another game again, apart from Porro as too early. What makes it depressing is that obviously that’s totally unrealistic and we are stuck with this bunch of shirkers and clowns.

Back