• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT We are MASSIVE FC v Tottenham Hotspur ***

when Romero is injured and Sanchez comes in for him then he needs better players on the ball surrounding him - maybe Lenglet could come in alongside him at CCB? almost certainly we need to bring in one of Spence or Doherty to the starting XI anyway but when Romero is out of the XI that need is even more apparent as we get pushed back so easily on our right hand side.

You can certainly make a case for Royal at RWB against teams where we need to keep it tight; Emirates Marketing Project, Liverpool. But when we play teams that sit back or aren’t as dangerous, I just don’t see the need for him and we should opt for Spence or Doherty for their attacking play as Royal doesn’t give us much going forward.

Watching the penalty incident again, he blew too early, the ball was still active and in our possession in a dangerous area, why blow unless you are 100% certain?
Var is there so you can go back and review these incidents, wasn't impressed with him at all last night.
The ref called it right
The rule should be if your can’t find a fault after 1 minute the decision stands…
4 1/2 minutes is too long to find a fault

The ref called it right
The rule should be if your can’t find a fault after 1 minute the decision stands…
4 1/2 minutes is too long to find a fault
Yes it wasn't a pen, but i think he blew when he didn't have to. Let the play run and ask for it to be checked when the ball goes dead.
We were still in possession with a chance to cross into the area.

What is most xgchain? Is that passing to people that are expected to score?

Every shot is allocated an xG number. xGchain = the total xG of every shot that a player was involved in. ‘Involved’ = any touch in the possession that led to the shot (including the shot itself).

So if Sanchez passed to Dier, and 15 passes later someone had a shot with an xG of 0.2, that 0.2 would get added to Sanchez’ xGchain. (And Dier’s, and anyone else who was involved in the move).

Just watched the period between our goal and theirs again, and this image rings very true. So much conservative passing between our CBs and CMs, even when there were safe and easy more progressive passes on. Painful to watch.

Bissouma frustrated me big time with that. I really rate the lad but he was poison last night. First half was worse. The booking was beyond dumb and seriously hamstrung us and he gave the ball away repeatedly. Second half, he kept passing back to Sanchez or Dier without even looking or turning on the ball when he had a chance. He will get better because he's quality but doesn't deserve a starting spot ahead of PEH or Bentancur on the evidence of his cameos so far or last night.

passing back to Sanchez or Dier without even looking or turning on the ball when he had a chance.
My pet hate.
Drives me mad.
Why* give it straight back to the cloggers who are trying to get rid of the hot potato?
They don't want it. It's your job to do something with it, better than laying it backwards.
Scan around, have a plan, work out a system.

*Unless you are being directly pressed and literally should not take a touch.

Watching the penalty incident again, he blew too early, the ball was still active and in our possession in a dangerous area, why blow unless you are 100% certain?
Var is there so you can go back and review these incidents, wasn't impressed with him at all last night.

Yeah I was tinkled off about that too. Sure in other games (i.e. Liverpool, Utd etc.) the refs always play on for a bit to see if they score before going back to give the penalty.

Also (separate issue) but "clear and obvious" was turned into "take as long as you bloody want".

when Romero is injured and Sanchez comes in for him then he needs better players on the ball surrounding him - maybe Lenglet could come in alongside him at CCB? almost certainly we need to bring in one of Spence or Doherty to the starting XI anyway but when Romero is out of the XI that need is even more apparent as we get pushed back so easily on our right hand side.

Yeah Emerson and Romero is kind of fine as Romero can find space. But Sanchez really needs Doherty supporting him. Better movement and less chance of playing it back to him.

Yeah I was tinkled off about that too. Sure in other games (i.e. Liverpool, Utd etc.) the refs always play on for a bit to see if they score before going back to give the penalty.

Also (separate issue) but "clear and obvious" was turned into "take as long as you bloody want".

They're also supposed to check the goals, did they not notice son being hauled back as the ball went in?

Too much of a reshuffle to put Dier RCB and Lenglet CCB do you think? Not sure if Dier’s played much on the right before?

def need to see Spence soon though.

I'm still irritated at PEH, can't help but feel him signalling to come off twice, then going down, then changing boots all in the space of 2 minutes helped us to lose a bit of concentration.
It's his erratic passing that bugs me, plus the way he gesticulates to others whilst watching the game pass him by. He did also come up with a couple of quality through balls tbf but too many of what should be routine passes are misplaced, often because he doesn't bother to look up in the first place. He hustles well when in the mood but also likes to take a breather and leave it to others.

Shame Skipp is still not yet ready. He may never be more than a squad player for us but his passing and tackling are both excellent and more to the point he can be relied upon to put in 100% energy and commitment every time. Just the player to shore things up when others are flagging.

Bissouma frustrated me big time with that. I really rate the lad but he was poison last night. First half was worse. The booking was beyond dumb and seriously hamstrung us and he gave the ball away repeatedly. Second half, he kept passing back to Sanchez or Dier without even looking or turning on the ball when he had a chance. He will get better because he's quality but doesn't deserve a starting spot ahead of PEH or Bentancur on the evidence of his cameos so far or last night.

Agreed about last night.

More generally, I haven’t watched much of Brighton, but when I watched a load of Bissouma videos on YouTube - the ones which claim to show all of a player’s involvements from a single match - I noticed he was doing those unnecessary backward passes a lot. And his passing stats suggest the same (fbref stats go into a fair bit of detail). So I fear last night’s limited passing might not be a blip, and that his strengths are more limited to press resistance and ball-winning.

But I would have course love to be proven wrong!

Agreed about last night.

More generally, I haven’t watched much of Brighton, but when I watched a load of Bissouma videos on YouTube - the ones which claim to show all of a player’s involvements from a single match - I noticed he was doing those unnecessary backward passes a lot. And his passing stats suggest the same (fbref stats go into a fair bit of detail). So I fear last night’s limited passing might not be a blip, and that his strengths are more limited to press resistance and ball-winning.

Is it just a hangover of being a brighton player though? If conte wants him to pass more progressively i'm sure he'll tell him to.

Agreed about last night.

What were people expecting from him?

Usually I post my thoughts for each player in their own thread but since we were so bad all-around, I figured I'd just take care of it in one post.

Goalkeeper: Shame he decided to display his weaknesses like that after his 10 year anniversary of being a Spurs player. Not sure I can add anything else, you guys have covered this already.
Defense: Again, you guys basically covered this to death, and I also thought @Bedfordspurs posting the passing map basically summed up the entire match. Lloris passes to Dier, Dier passes to Sanchez, Sanchez passes back to Dier, Dier passes to PEH, PEH passes back to Dier, Dier passes back to Sanchez, Sanchez passes back to Dier. Dier had a few decent long balls out to the forwards or Davies on the left but overall, what an ugly display. Someone was trying to argue that "keeping things simple" is the way to go but this is exactly the reason why "keeping things simple" is for simple people, and is exploited by slightly-more-clever people. We put ourselves under constant pressure and while the midfield does bear some of the blame, the defenders' overall inability to have any sort of vision or composure left us on the back foot too many times. I could be wrong here but I don't think I saw Sanchez pass the ball to Davies once. The passing was completely thoughtless too. Passing from defense into a midfielder who's being actively marked generally means the midfielder has to pass it back, and this is the trap West Ham were trying to spring on us. Royal was also awful in this regard, the ball would just die between Lloris-Dier-Sanchez-Royal. Putting teammates under even more pressure because some of those players simply didn't want the ball and couldn't use their intelligence to at least contemplate the next two passes.
Midfield: Bissouma got his first start and it was a pretty poor performance, but we should be patient and hopefully he'll be less shaky as he grows more comfortable. Expectations are always high from our fans and some players just need a bit of time to settle. Bentancur was missed, I was wrong about having Bissouma start ahead of him but either way, we had no choice due to injury. PEH was decent but did misplace quite a few passes for all the good forward ones he made, and also wasn't able to turn when receiving the ball from our defenders when West Ham were pressing high up the pitch. Needs to stop pointing unless it's something obvious. He's not playing FIFA, he's just one of eleven players on the field and he just needs to focus on doing his job as best as he can.
Attack: They got a goal in the end, arguably should've done a little bit more with the chances they had on the break but the forwards must have been crying internally at watching some of our passing at the back. Kane and Kulu were again the more lively of the three, with Son still trying too hard IMO. I think he just needs to relax and just play for the team. At least he did drop back to defend a bit. Richarlison made an instant impact yet again and it would be a real shame if he doesn't start the next match, but Conte alluded to rotating during congested periods in his previous comments. I don't care who ends up on the bench, Richarlison needs to be on the field at kick-off.
Subs: Just the one substitution which was strange but my guess is that Conte was trying to send a message to Levy, maybe he is trying to push one or two more players in by making a statement about how poor we look in certain areas.

Usually I post my thoughts for each player in their own thread but since we were so bad all-around, I figured I'd just take care of it in one post.

Goalkeeper: Shame he decided to display his weaknesses like that after his 10 year anniversary of being a Spurs player. Not sure I can add anything else, you guys have covered this already.
Defense: Again, you guys basically covered this to death, and I also thought @Bedfordspurs posting the passing map basically summed up the entire match. Lloris passes to Dier, Dier passes to Sanchez, Sanchez passes back to Dier, Dier passes to PEH, PEH passes back to Dier, Dier passes back to Sanchez, Sanchez passes back to Dier. Dier had a few decent long balls out to the forwards or Davies on the left but overall, what an ugly display. Someone was trying to argue that "keeping things simple" is the way to go but this is exactly the reason why "keeping things simple" is for simple people, and is exploited by slightly-more-clever people. We put ourselves under constant pressure and while the midfield does bear some of the blame, the defenders' overall inability to have any sort of vision or composure left us on the back foot too many times. I could be wrong here but I don't think I saw Sanchez pass the ball to Davies once. The passing was completely thoughtless too. Passing from defense into a midfielder who's being actively marked generally means the midfielder has to pass it back, and this is the trap West Ham were trying to spring on us. Royal was also awful in this regard, the ball would just die between Lloris-Dier-Sanchez-Royal. Putting teammates under even more pressure because some of those players simply didn't want the ball and couldn't use their intelligence to at least contemplate the next two passes.
Midfield: Bissouma got his first start and it was a pretty poor performance, but we should be patient and hopefully he'll be less shaky as he grows more comfortable. Expectations are always high from our fans and some players just need a bit of time to settle. Bentancur was missed, I was wrong about having Bissouma start ahead of him but either way, we had no choice due to injury. PEH was decent but did misplace quite a few passes for all the good forward ones he made, and also wasn't able to turn when receiving the ball from our defenders when West Ham were pressing high up the pitch. Needs to stop pointing unless it's something obvious. He's not playing FIFA, he's just one of eleven players on the field and he just needs to focus on doing his job as best as he can.
Attack: They got a goal in the end, arguably should've done a little bit more with the chances they had on the break but the forwards must have been crying internally at watching some of our passing at the back. Kane and Kulu were again the more lively of the three, with Son still trying too hard IMO. I think he just needs to relax and just play for the team. At least he did drop back to defend a bit. Richarlison made an instant impact yet again and it would be a real shame if he doesn't start the next match, but Conte alluded to rotating during congested periods in his previous comments. I don't care who ends up on the bench, Richarlison needs to be on the field at kick-off.
Subs: Just the one substitution which was strange but my guess is that Conte was trying to send a message to Levy, maybe he is trying to push one or two more players in by making a statement about how poor we look in certain areas.

Good summary. The astonishing thing to me was Conte' s lack of changing anything given how dire we were playing . Only using one substitute was completely mystifying to me. With the number of games coming up, why persevere with a clearly struggling PEH, an injured Royal and a totally ineffective Son. Sarr or Skipp for PEH, Spence for Royal and virtually anybody for Son ( possibly Sess on and Peresic moved further forward) would have signalled a much greater attacking intent to try and turn the tide and win the game.

Baffling from Conte. He seemed like a deer caught in the headlights.

Oh and why the hell is Son still on corner duty with Peresic on the pitch!!!

Last edited:
Is it just a hangover of being a brighton player though? If conte wants him to pass more progressively i'm sure he'll tell him to.

He took much more responsibility for getting Brighton up the pitch than he showed yesterday.

Back