• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT We are MASSIVE FC v Tottenham Hotspur ***

Foul throw
Perisic arguing about something random
CB stayed off, but good play from Antonio
Hugo beaten at near post, by a powerful shot

What else is Dier meant to do there? He got as tight as he could without fear of a foul. The additions to your list were Bissouma and PEh showing varying degrees of nonchalance/switched off. Bissouma has to track his man. Of course, who was paying attention enough to et the ref know the throw was taken 10 yards further down the touchline? I put a lot on Perisic there, turning his back on the ball and not noticing things like that. He's a wily pro. he should know better. It was the most avoidable goal we've conceded this season IMO, surpassing the ones against Chelski.

Can we try and remember that he was

a) making his fun debut
b) in a Conte system
c) and fluffed his lines early with a stupid yellow card which compromised him for the rest of the game

I don't believe he will have a worse game for us.

I agree. I am a big Boss fan. Please see my earlier post.

Finally, I'm also not sure why Son was on corner duty with Perisic on the field. Not that Son can't take decent corners but failing to beat the first man is extremely poor.
I think maybe you're forgetting it was Son's corner to the near post that Perisic headed on for Harry's winner against Wolves.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I find Conte's reason as to why he didn't use more than one substitute on Wednesday bizarre to say the least. Apparently , he "didn't want to change the shape of side".

My question would be " Why on earth not?" . We were clearly struggling in that shape and with those players. West Ham were clearly in top in the second half and we were impotent going forward and were creating diddly squat. If we wanted to win the match, we desperately needed to change tactics, personnel and shape. He only brought on an attacker for an attacker which hardly addressed any of the underlying issues.

In my opinion, Conte dropped the ball against West Ham in the second half. With games coming thick and fast now, why continue for 90 minutes with a clearly struggling PEH and an out of sorts Son. Mystifying to me.

I think maybe you're forgetting it was Son's corner to the near post that Perisic headed on for Harry's winner against Wolves.

I think it was mor like Sons poor corner to the near post which Perisic was able to make something out of. I haven't seen that tactic repeated to convince me it was pre-planned. But I do think we should always have someone positioned in front of the first man to flick on any poorly executed corner which drops short. This should' be our default tactic.

MY answer? Conte has won trophies everywhere he's been so I'm happy to go along with his judgement, whichever way it goes.

Yes...but seemingly only if he continues to play Son no matter how poorly his displays are:D

Either way, let's hope Conte's way equals success for Spurs whatever he chooses

You should read my original post, the longer one. I think I make it pretty clear it's just my opinion and the logic I is used is simple. Not sure why my "guess" needs such scrutiny because like I said, it's pretty simple (maybe too simple, I get things wrong all the time).
Even though Conte makes strange decisions at times, he gets results and this is nowhere near as bad as watching us under Mourinho. The job Conte has done is incredible, getting us top-4 last season and I can't wait to see what he does in the CL. The club definitely need to back this guy because I trust whatever he's doing on the pitch even if it baffles me those odd times he does something (or doesn't do something) I think is weird.

As an aside, I also forgot to mention the ref's performance in yesterday's game. The guy didn't have the authority to officiate a PL match of this stature. I don't think it was a penalty but he blew too early... ok, mistakes happen, we'll never know what would've happened but overall, thought he was a bit weak with his decisions.

Your guess is getting scrutiny because it is suggesting conte isn't happy. It is a narrative that we've had to put up with since he arrived. Tbh i'm a bit sick of it.

He's gotten a decent amount of assists from corners. I never said Son was garbage at them, I think some people here on this forum read into things that aren't there at times. Is there something wrong with saying that IMO, Perisic takes better corners. Now, if the plan is for Perisic to be the one to flick from the near-post because that's what's been decided as optimal by the coaching staff... that's fine, they know best.

Your guess is getting scrutiny because it is suggesting conte isn't happy. It is a narrative that we've had to put up with since he arrived. Tbh i'm a bit sick of it.
In that case, I'm sick of people on the internet misconstruing and/or misinterpreting my posts. Honestly, I have no idea where this narrative is or who is promoting it, or why I'm getting entangled in this nonsense. If you don't like me or the things I say, you can just block me and save both of us the trouble :)
I think the only thing Conte was unhappy about was the penalty call, saying the ref "made the right decision" which was very cheeky.

Yes...but seemingly only if he continues to play Son no matter how poorly his displays are:D

Either way, let's hope Conte's way equals success for Spurs whatever he chooses
Ha! This coming from the poster already demanding to drop last season's Golden Boot winner with 23 non-penalty goals and 9 assists to his name from the equivalent of 33 and a bit games.

No doubt our rivals would just love for you to be in charge of Tottenham. :D:D:D

I find Conte's reason as to why he didn't use more than one substitute on Wednesday bizarre to say the least. Apparently , he "didn't want to change the shape of side".

My question would be " Why on earth not?" . We were clearly struggling in that shape and with those players. West Ham were clearly in top in the second half and we were impotent going forward and were creating diddly squat. If we wanted to win the match, we desperately needed to change tactics, personnel and shape. He only brought on an attacker for an attacker which hardly addressed any of the underlying issues.

In my opinion, Conte dropped the ball against West Ham in the second half. With games coming thick and fast now, why continue for 90 minutes with a clearly struggling PEH and an out of sorts Son. Mystifying to me.
Especially in the beginnings of a busy string of fixtures, unless he's planning to rotate 6-7 players this weekend...
IMO it's fine if he wants to keep the shape because I do think making some changes could have improved us, or at least wouldn't have made us worse. I understand he might be feeling tepid to throw Spence on since he's a bit of an unknown quality so far.
As for changing shape like we did against Chelsea, it initially helped us but I think it also gave them the chance to exploit having 4 at the back and that's how they scored their second. It's funny that we're both "mystified" by Conte's decision but at the end of the day, he's the boss and I trust him.

Ha! This coming from the poster already demanding to drop last season's Golden Boot winner with 23 non-penalty goals and 9 assists to his name from the equivalent of 33 and a bit games.

No doubt our rivals would just love for you to be in charge of Tottenham. :D:D:D
I don't think anyone has asked for Son to be dropped for more than one match or to be sold. Way too much pettiness detracts from meaningful discussion (goes for anyone, not trying to single you out).

Well, see @papaspur response to your post, as he sums things up very well and probably better than me.
As i've said before squad rotation given the upcoming fixture congestion is something we should do and we have the luxury to more than most teams now...but hey, if you prefer to get angry that i suggest Son be rested/rotated when he's not in great form, who am i to stop you

He's gotten a decent amount of assists from corners. I never said Son was garbage at them, I think some people here on this forum read into things that aren't there at times. Is there something wrong with saying that IMO, Perisic takes better corners. Now, if the plan is for Perisic to be the one to flick from the near-post because that's what's been decided as optimal by the coaching staff... that's fine, they know best.
No, you never said Son was garbage at corners, neither did I in any way imply that you did! My point was quite simple, that if Perisic had taken that corner against Wolves he could not then also have been at the near post to provide the assist for the match winner, that is all.

Besides, given so few of our corners normally ever lead to goals, is it really such a bad thing that Son is sometimes the one taking the corners and Perisic the one hanging around the near post to increase our chances of scoring from them?

Interestingly I noticed that in the West Ham game Son and Perisic seemed to be sharing corner duties. Perhaps Conte is simply trying to remove predictability from the equation? Whatever, it so happens all four corners in that game were directed towards the near post regardless of who was taking them, and from memory only one of Son's fell short in that respect.

If it works, don't fix it.

No, you never said Son was garbage at corners, neither did I in any way imply that you did! My point was quite simple, that if Perisic had taken that corner against Wolves he could not then also have been at the near post to provide the assist for the match winner, that is all.

Besides, given so few of our corners normally ever lead to goals, is it really such a bad thing that Son is sometimes the one taking the corners and Perisic the one hanging around the near post to increase our chances of scoring from them?

Interestingly I noticed that in the West Ham game Son and Perisic seemed to be sharing corner duties. Perhaps Conte is simply trying to remove predictability from the equation? Whatever, it so happens all four corners in that game were directed towards the near post regardless of who was taking them, and from memory only one of Son's fell short in that respect.

If it works, don't fix it.
Fair enough, but regarding the bolded bit: if Perisic had taken the corner, a) the delivery could've been quite different, and b) even if it were the same delivery, that doesn't preclude someone else from being at the near post to flick it on. I don't know how many set corner plays/routines the players practice. You say "if it works, don't fix it" but the manager's job is to get the best possible performance. On the one hand, too much tinkering can be detrimental but sometimes we need a small tweak here or there so that we can be less predictable as you said.

Overall, I do think Son is decent at corner taking. I just assumed Perisic would be our preferred corner taker, at least on one side. As for having either of them in the box, I'd back both of them to do well with most chances that fall to them so I'm not worried there. Trust me, I've been surprised that we've been scoring from corners at all, just need to do better overall with all our set pieces IMO.

Well, see @papaspur response to your post, as he sums things up very well and probably better than me.
As i've said before squad rotation given the upcoming fixture congestion is something we should do and we have the luxury to more than most teams now...but hey, if you prefer to get angry that i suggest Son be rested/rotated when he's not in great form, who am i to stop you
Not in the slightest angry mate, struggling to understand what I said upset you.

At the end of the day we are all supporters of the same great club. No offence intanded.

Dier frozen to the spot instead of going for mitrovic for the goal. Van Dijk got hell from his team mates and fans when he did the same a couple of weeks back.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

Back