• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT We are MASSIVE FC v Tottenham Hotspur ***

He's shouldn't be assessed as a conventional CB in a pair. It's 3 doing the job of two.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk
It's not 3 doing the job of 2. The expectations of a back 3 are different to that of a 2. The set up is a 3-4-3, so by your logic we can say that the back 3 is doing the job of 4 and the front 3 are doing the job of 2 (also wrong but just to make a point).

Diers distribution isn't as bad as some are making out, he's not great, he's not bad, he's average. The only reason it's an issue now is because both the other CBs aren't good passers, the RWB isn't good on the ball either and Lloris has woeful distribution. Added to that PEH isn't great at getting into positions to receive the ball from the defence and options are reduced.

The one thing that Dier gives the defence is leadership. None of the others talk much. Romero is obviously our best defender but he can barely lead himself nevermind anyone else.
Davies is also quiet and does nothing in that regard. Despite it being said by some that he drops a clanger each game, he doesn't. Since the start of last year he has made very few mistakes and has been really dependable.

I'd worry about performances catching up with us if we were conceding numerous chances a game or not creating ourselves - that's not really happening so I'm quite relaxed atm

Yeah this isn't like Mourinho ball where we scored and just sat back and invited wave after wave of pressure. Eventually that caught up with us. We're probably as poor to watch as then in some ways but we aren't camped in our box for the game and still carry a threat.

We are not the most attractive team to watch but we are picking up points from games we would have lost in recent seasons. Remember we didn't lose to City or Liverpool last season so if we can eradicate defeats like Southampton at home then we are going in the right direction.

I wouldn't place too much stock in that. I'll be amazed if we take 8 points from City and the Dippers and stay unbeaten against them this season.

I'd judge where we are based on what I'd have expected and we're probably around par or slightly ahead.

Before the season started, if we said we'd win all our games bar a loss at Chelsea and a draw at West Ham we'd prob be happy with that. We're a point better off (and Chelsea 2 points worse off) than that, so all good.

Important to beat Fulham and Leicester though.

Yeah this isn't like Mourinho ball where we scored and just sat back and invited wave after wave of pressure. Eventually that caught up with us. We're probably as poor to watch as then in some ways but we aren't camped in our box for the game and still carry a threat.

I wouldn't place too much stock in that. I'll be amazed if we take 8 points from City and the Dippers and stay unbeaten against them this season.

I'd judge where we are based on what I'd have expected and we're probably around par or slightly ahead.

when we're poor it does have an air turgidity about it that is reminicsent of Jose-ball tbf but unlike then we are actually coached and set up well so that we defend well and give up few chances - which wasn't the case back then, with pretty much the same set of defenders as well.

City are looking great so you probably have to write off anything from them but really if you're top 4 you should be looking to beat anyone at home - if we win our two home games and lose the two away then that puts us 2 points down on that set of fixtures, plus we have 2 games against United to make up some ground as we took 0 last season from them.

Diers distribution isn't as bad as some are making out, he's not great, he's not bad, he's average. The only reason it's an issue now is because both the other CBs aren't good passers, the RWB isn't good on the ball either and Lloris has woeful distribution. Added to that PEH isn't great at getting into positions to receive the ball from the defence and options are reduced.

The one thing that Dier gives the defence is leadership. None of the others talk much. Romero is obviously our best defender but he can barely lead himself nevermind anyone else.
Davies is also quiet and does nothing in that regard. Despite it being said by some that he drops a clanger each game, he doesn't. Since the start of last year he has made very few mistakes and has been really dependable.

I think that’s a great comment and the bolded bit captures why we’re not quite at the level we’d like to be just yet. From our current squad maybe Lenglet stepping up would improve things in this regard. As I said elsewhere I’m surprised we haven’t signed another defender- someone to rotate with Dier/Romero.

City are looking great so you probably have to write off anything from them but really if you're top 4 you should be looking to beat anyone at home - if we win our two home games and lose the two away then that puts us 2 points down on that set of fixtures, plus we have 2 games against United to make up some ground as we took 0 last season from them.

Take each game as it comes and on it's own merits to avoid disappointment. There will be twists and turns this season and unexpected results. We won't beat all the teams we beat last season.

I'm still irritated at PEH, can't help but feel him signalling to come off twice, then going down, then changing boots all in the space of 2 minutes helped us to lose a bit of concentration. I know they're professions and shouldn't be thrown off so easily but I don't think things like that help.

Take each game as it comes and on it's own merits to avoid disappointment. There will be twists and turns this season and unexpected results. We won't beat all the teams we beat last season.

of course, it's only a little way to chart progress - it's not to be taken too seriously

I'm still irritated at PEH, can't help but feel him signalling to come off twice, then going down, then changing boots all in the space of 2 minutes helped us to lose a bit of concentration. I know they're professions and shouldn't be thrown off so easily but I don't think things like that help.

Came across to me as time wasting coupled with genuine injury concerns. His boot falling apart admittedly is just unlucky.

Looked to be playing through injury. Then his booth quite literally fell apart.

With Skipp just back from injury along with the untested Sarr on the bench. Bissouma having a poor first half and being on a yellow + making a silly tackle early in the second half. He played through, credit to him. Not a great game from him perhaps, but again solid, never poor. Wish we could say the same about all of our players.

Glad it’s not just me who thinks this. I was accused of “seeing things that are not there” with regards to Sanchez’s weakness on the ball. It’s pretty obvious for most people to see with their own eyes but it’s too controversial an opinion for some.

this pass map shows where the ball goes to die
DCCC6809-9509-4D5F-A453-BF75A6E50816.jpeg

Well, that certainly wasn't our greatest performance under Conte.

On the plus side, I've been really impressed with Kulusevski's work rate and willingness to track the ball back and, while at fault for their goal, Perisic had a fairly good game, I thought, particularly in the first half.

As for the rest... well, I felt Bissouma's performance was pretty meh. Maybe watching on TV didn't do him justice but offensively, he offered very little and he was either unlucky or clumsy whenever he tried to take an active part in our build-up play. I have to agree with whoever the pundit was: Lloris had a horrible game. His passing was particularly revolting. Likewise and strangely, we seemed to insist getting the ball out of defense through Sanchez, who remains very poor under pressure. I can't see what the plan was there but it certainly didn't pay off.

Also, Son looked far from his best. I would have subbed him for Richarlison but managers often have to take a longer-term view with their substitutions. I don't understand what happened with Hojbjerg's shenanigans early in the second half. Just when we conceded, I was thinking breaking up the run of play so often was a double-edged sword. If we did it on purpose, it turned out to be a poor move, particularly as we weren't under that much pressure.

Having said that, Moyes' West Ham resembles his old Everton side: they're a nasty little team that excels at making better players look average. He'll never win the league with that side but they'll get a lot of points and should be looking for Top 6 finish. All things considered, a point isn't such a bad thing - even more so if you consider they had the better chances. Hopefully, the next game will be more entertaining.

Well, that certainly wasn't our greatest performance under Conte.

On the plus side, I've been really impressed with Kulusevski's work rate and willingness to track the ball back and, while at fault for their goal, Perisic had a fairly good game, I thought, particularly in the first half.

As for the rest... well, I felt Bissouma's performance was pretty meh. Maybe watching on TV didn't do him justice but offensively, he offered very little and he was either unlucky or clumsy whenever he tried to take an active part in our build-up play. I have to agree with whoever the pundit was: Lloris had a horrible game. His passing was particularly revolting. Likewise and strangely, we seemed to insist getting the ball out of defense through Sanchez, who remains very poor under pressure. I can't see what the plan was there but it certainly didn't pay off.

Also, Son looked far from his best. I would have subbed him for Richarlison but managers often have to take a longer-term view with their substitutions. I don't understand what happened with Hojbjerg's shenanigans early in the second half. Just when we conceded, I was thinking breaking up the run of play so often was a double-edged sword. If we did it on purpose, it turned out to be a poor move, particularly as we weren't under that much pressure.

Having said that, Moyes' West Ham resembles his old Everton side: they're a nasty little team that excels at making better players look average. He'll never win the league with that side but they'll get a lot of points and should be looking for Top 6 finish. All things considered, a point isn't such a bad thing - even more so if you consider they had the better chances. Hopefully, the next game will be more entertaining.

You think they'll finish above utd and Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

Watching the penalty incident again, he blew too early, the ball was still active and in our possession in a dangerous area, why blow unless you are 100% certain?
Var is there so you can go back and review these incidents, wasn't impressed with him at all last night.

Watching the penalty incident again, he blew too early, the ball was still active and in our possession in a dangerous area, why blow unless you are 100% certain?
Var is there so you can go back and review these incidents, wasn't impressed with him at all last night.

Not the refs fault. We just use var wrong. At the last world cup var was only used if the ref asked for it, because he felt he was unsure. In england var is used whether the ref asked for it or not.

West Ham did a great job of pushing the ball that way. It's on us to learn a way out and make it work, every man and his dog will use this tactic.

when Romero is injured and Sanchez comes in for him then he needs better players on the ball surrounding him - maybe Lenglet could come in alongside him at CCB? almost certainly we need to bring in one of Spence or Doherty to the starting XI anyway but when Romero is out of the XI that need is even more apparent as we get pushed back so easily on our right hand side.

Back