• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham v Gillingham - League Cup

I think I would play one of Eriksen or Lamela. Eriksen would be my prefernce. If we want Janssen to bag a few confidence building goals then we need a decent supply line. If we play too many kids in midfield then there is a potential to get over run. I'd go with ...

----------Dier----Winks--------
Sissoko-----Eriksen-----N'Koudou
--------------Janssen------------

See, I'd normally agree, but I'm kind of leaning towards letting this be a litmus test for Sissoko in particular - if we're going to play any of our first-team players in midfield, I'd rather we play someone who could prove to us that he has what it takes to be a reasonable replacement for any of our first eleven, while letting Eriksen and co. sit it out. Dier's probably sitting this one out in favor of Wanyama, but the only other disagreement I have with your lineup is with Eriksen behind Janssen - put Sissoko there, and perhaps play Son if we want to let him build up a head of steam?

I agree. Something like:

----------------vorm
trippier---2CV----wimmer----davies
----------wanyama--winks
----lamela-----eriksen----gkn
---------------janssen

Agree with that, though I'd play Sissoko rather than GKN, partly because he needs some games and I thought Poch said something about GKN not being ready for a while

Vorm
Trippier CCV Wimmer Davies

Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Carol Eriksen
Janssen

You'd think the bold players would be nailed on to start.

Onomah has been used by Poch a lot more than Carol, maybe because he has some pace - Poch bringing him on as a sub. But Carol is more mature and if he's to do anything with us he needs games. If he doesn't he should go out on loan. If we field a strongish side as above, then Edwards, GKN, Onomah can come on second half. Alternatively start the young guns, and have the experienced players on the bench.

Vorm

Wanyama Carol Winks
Sissoko Eriksen
Janssen

You'd think the bold players would be nailed on to start.

Onomah has been used by Poch a lot more than Carol, maybe because he has some pace - Poch bringing him on as a sub. But Carol is more mature and if he's to do anything with us he needs games. If he doesn't he should go out on loan. If we field a strongish side as above, then Edwards, GKN, Onomah can come on later. Alternatively start them and have the experienced players on the bench.

That looks an extremely unadventurous team given we're playing a lower league side a home - 3 CMs who don't get many goals. Eriksen, Carroll and Winks are a bit overkill in terms of creative little guys as well

That looks an extremely unadventurous team given we're playing a lower league side a home - 3 CMs who don't get many goals. Eriksen, Carroll and Winks are a bit overkill in terms of creative little guys as well

Moved Carol forward. Little highly creative guys to be fair. Maybe you are right. Let Wanyama have the night off, play Onomah and press the brick out of the them:

Vorm
Winks
Carol
Edwards Eriksen Onomah
Janssen

I think this inexperienced team would likely win. They would need to close the ball down well, with high intensity pressing. Winks and Carol can move the ball so fast, provided Edwards, Eriksen and Onomah move into space we'd be potent. The back 5 is solid too.

This has made me think of all the crap left-backs we've had. I don't think we got a decent one in my time watching us til Treacle.

Before your time, but Cyril Knowles was good.

I take a step back and await the Double watchers to pitch in - or before that. Anyone watching in the 40s ?

As a young 15 year old (working at a soccer school) I once went on the tinkle with Justin Edinburgh - ended up pulling a 29 year old stunner and I was a 'PE teacher' who always gets told he looks young. Nothing to add to the conversation but just thought I would share.
Are you sure it wasn't Justin in a wig?

We simply must rest most first teamers from this match. We can't afford any other injuries. It gives us a chance to see how good our squad depth is and gives the fringe players every chance to state their case for first team action.
With Kane out for some time, I am not sure it is worth risking our only realistic cover for him ( VJ) in this relatively meaningless match. I would therefore go:

.....................Vorm....................

Trippier........CCV.........Wimmer........Davies

..........Wanyama.......Winks............

Sissoko...........Carroll...............GKN

..............OooooNooooooMaaaaa......

We simply must rest most first teamers from this match. We can't afford any other injuries. It gives us a chance to see how good our squad depth is and gives the fringe players every chance to state their case for first team action.
With Kane out for some time, I am not sure it is worth risking our only realistic cover for him ( VJ) in this relatively meaningless match. I would therefore go:

.....................Vorm....................

Trippier........CCV.........Wimmer........Davies

..........Wanyama.......Winks............

Sissoko...........Carroll...............GKN

..............OooooNooooooMaaaaa......

Definitely not meaningless. It's still our best chance for this groups'/Poch's first trophy - something that needs to happen sooner rather than later if we're to keep growing.

But realistically our second string should be able to do a comfortable job on a mid-table third tier side.

I take a step back and await the Double watchers to pitch in - or before that. Anyone watching in the 40s ?

Cyril was a Legend, loved bombing on on to have a shot and a great crosser of the ball, but his raison d'etre was to put the opposing winger into the crowd. I remember one gave were he blocked a shot on the line and dribbled round the forward trying to follow up. Ron Henry and Mel Hopkins were terrific players as was Chris Hughton

Yeah, Edinburgh was the first Spurs left-back I saw, no doubt we had some decent left-backs before my time.

The Gills have got the worst defensive record in the 3rd Division (15 goals conceded in 8 games). I think I may start to worry if Janssen somehow can't get on the scoresheet tomorrow night.

Back