• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sporting CP ***

After the game they analysed this in minutae
Lost results
Hence why the reduced the data
There was a great documentary on it on sky sports a few years back with Neville and carragher
They were stunned at how accurate linos were and how poor they were when they had a gon
Can you write that in plain English, please?

I always thought I understood the offside rule, now I’m not so sure, particularly the direction of travel bit.

Two attackers beat the offside trap, one of them is ahead of the ball. If the ball is passed forward to him it’s a clear offside.

If it’s passed backwards behind him though, is he still offside?

Yeah, and a green light going off behind the goal if we have a good goal. The var check of every goddamned goal zaps the joy out of scoring goals. I generally don't celebrate goals anymore, as you never know what could chalk it off. fudging annoying, and honestly makes watching football a lot less appealing to me.

but that was always a possibility before, that its so noticeable now suggests, logically, that a lot of invalid goals were awarded previously

I always thought I understood the offside rule, now I’m not so sure, particularly the direction of travel bit.

Two attackers beat the offside trap, one of them is ahead of the ball. If the ball is passed forward to him it’s a clear offside.

Not if he is behind the ball when its passed to him
It’s to do with the ball, not the man
The issue I have with it is your offside from any body part that can touch the ball but the person passing the ball is irrelevant. So the play is judged in body parts even if thanks parts don’t receive the ball…

but that was always a possibility before, that its so noticeable now suggests, logically, that a lot of invalid goals were awarded previously
1 in a 100 moves we’re judged to be on or off un error basically
The technology hasn’t changed that ratio as it’s only used for gaols scored rather than all offsides and it’s margin of error is too high

Goal line technology works perfect. I'm sure they could put a tracker on each players chest and that would show immediately and without doubt whether someone is offside. Leave VAR solely for red card offences the ref has missed.

This is spot on. Never mind all this fingers, knees and toes lines B0LL0! They're tracked to within an inch of their little GPS lives now anyway. Just use that and the sensor that is in the ball.

jd_469333_b
jd_469333_g

Sure, but invalid mostly because of a centimeter here or a fingernail there. I personally don't care about those. I hoped VAR would take the clear and obvious wrongs, not every little nitpick like it does.

Yes. As long as he's in front of the ball with any goal scoring part of his body when the ball passed, regardless of pass direction.

So theoretically, you could stand with your entire body in front of the ball with your back facing the goal, pass the ball backwards, and as long as whoever you're passing it to has a foot or a toenail in front of the ball when you pass, it's offside.

Yes, if he was in front of the ball when the pass was made. Wasn't like that before, and I have no idea why they changed it.

Not if he is behind the ball when its passed to him
It’s to do with the ball, not the man
The issue I have with it is your offside from any body part that can touch the ball but the person passing the ball is irrelevant. So the play is judged in body parts even if thanks parts don’t receive the ball…

Yes. As long as he's in front of the ball with any goal scoring part of his body when the ball passed, regardless of pass direction.

So theoretically, you could stand with your entire body in front of the ball with your back facing the goal, pass the ball backwards, and as long as whoever you're passing it to has a foot or a toenail in front of the ball when you pass, it's offside.

Yes, if he was in front of the ball when the pass was made. Wasn't like that before, and I have no idea why they changed it.

Nice one. Thanks all.

The Rashford goal v Arsenal was the weirdest VAR call I’ve seen. I can’t see what lines they were going from for that to be onside. Seemed completely coloured be a personal agenda (ref overwhelmed by narrative like the good old days) in a way offsides in VAR hadn’t before it.

Nope, with the accuracy of the freeze frame, that ball could be leaving Emerson's head rather than hitting it, at which point Kane was further back. The whole point is they are trying to make a decision on the most minuscule of margins, and the technology can't back it up. The level of tolerance should match the accuracy of the technology.

Very well stated.

It’s all needless complexity. If you can’t work out if it was an infringement in 30 seconds then the goal stands. More goals, no delay with celebrating… everyone is a winner.

It’s all needless complexity. If you can’t work out if it was an infringement in 30 seconds then the goal stands. More goals, no delay with celebrating… everyone is a winner.
Put it another way, if that was a Sporting last minute winner, and VAR said it's too close to call so onside, would anyone have a problem with that? I wouldn't.

Back