• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sporting CP ***

Put it another way, if that was a Sporting last minute winner, and VAR said it's too close to call so onside, would anyone have a problem with that? I wouldn't.

I remember being similarly outraged for Emirates Marketing Project when VAR disallowed their injury time goal against us...

football-fussball.gif

I remember being similarly outraged for Emirates Marketing Project when VAR disallowed their injury time goal against us...

football-fussball.gif
But you are talking about something else, of course I'll celebrate everything that goes our way, even if we've got away with one, I'm talking about whether you think it's fair, or whether you think you've been cheated. I feel we were cheated out of a genuine winner, but if it had been given the other way for a Sporting goal, I would have thought fair enough.

But you are talking about something else, of course I'll celebrate everything that goes our way, even if we've got away with one, I'm talking about whether you think it's fair, or whether you think you've been cheated. I feel we were cheated out of a genuine winner, but if it had been given the other way for a Sporting goal, I would have thought fair enough.

The way I look at this one is at least it wasn't a vital game. Imagine that happened in the CL final (it was the same officials that gave the Sissoko handball freakishly).

I think Conte did the right thing, so officials will think twice before letting them slide in the future.

Of course I feel cheated. I'm a football fan. I was furious on Wednesday night especially because the roof came off the stadium when that goal went in and the atmosphere and celebrations were electric. I was baffled coz watching it on the screen right before they knew it went to VAR, it looked like Emerson headed it back. Then you throw in the fact it would have crowned an excellent second half, an end to our little dip and taken us through and it really put a downer on the evening.

If it had been at the other end, I'd have been elated.

Impossible for most to give a rational view when we are so emotionally invested.

Of course I feel cheated. I'm a football fan. I was furious on Wednesday night especially because the roof came off the stadium when that goal went in and the atmosphere and celebrations were electric. I was baffled coz watching it on the screen right before they knew it went to VAR, it looked like Emerson headed it back. Then you throw in the fact it would have crowned an excellent second half, an end to our little dip and taken us through and it really put a downer on the evening.

If it had been at the other end, I'd have been elated.

Impossible for most to give a rational view when we are so emotionally invested.
It’s lovely of some people on this board to claim they would have taken it so well if a goal had been given to the opposition in same circumstances. However that’s a very easy thing to say when that hasn’t happened, and having seen this boards reactions to various things that have taken place on the football pitch over the years I do not believe one bit that there would not of been whinging all over the place and references left right and centre to various offside rules. It is what it is, luckily we have a game tomorrow and can get back to whinging about the usual stuff….

Get rid of VAR, please.

I honestly think VAR is a good thing but these marginal offside decisions are a pain because, while usually technically correct, they’re not really judging within the spirit of the rule. I often wonder how many goals in the past where everyone sort of said “ah he was level” would have been ruled out with VAR because no one ever looked for a toe or shoulder being offside.

I honestly think VAR is a good thing but these marginal offside decisions are a pain because, while usually technically correct, they’re not really judging within the spirit of the rule. I often wonder how many goals in the past where everyone sort of said “ah he was level” would have been ruled out with VAR because no one ever looked for a toe or shoulder being offside.

It spoils the match going experiance for me, it takes the feeling of the instant explosion of celebrating a goal away when you have to stand around for what seems ages before going apebrick. You go to the games so you know what that feels like when your side scores. Its may be different when you watch all games on the box as you are not surrounded by a live crowd.

It came our with the promise that it would solve all the wrong decisions ( or most of them) but all it does it create more controversey. I know a few guys who used to go home and away and since VAR reared its ugly head they have cut down on the number of matches they attend.

Hoddle was right when he said he feared more regular match goers whould stop going as they are not able to celebrate as they used to because of all the fudges ups that VAR create and having to stand around for what seems ages while some arsehole in a booth somewhere takes ages to make a decision ( which is gonad*s on occasions)

I stand corrected. Spoke with the referee supervisor in my region today, and the ball played backwards rule has been removed. He couldn't say exactly when, but it's quite a while ago. So, playing the ball Backwards has no effect on whether it's offside or not, player has to be behind the ball if he's in front of the 2nd last defender.

RE offsides.I think the answer is simple. Make the lines the equivalent of say one metre wide. If,and only if, the attacker is over the widened line is he then offside. This extra tolerance would surely clear up all the marginal offside calls.

On the Kane offside, I have seen one view of a freeze frame which appears to show the boot of a defender (the one behind Kane) playing him onside. This frame was never (as far as i am aware) made available and the only "official"one we have seen does not show the defenders foot!!

I have been quite amazed at how many opposition fans heads we live in. It appears us having a last minute winner ruled out has been the 'highlight of the season' for some oppostion fans.....how sad

For me, its gone, its done, its consigned to history in the same section as the Mendes goal, Mata's ghost goal in the semi, Kane v Southampton,etc, etc;

We have another game in less than 24 hours to be more concerned about, just a shame we keep seeing endless posts on social media dragging the debate on and on.

Hopefully it will all inspire the players to show us what the CL means to them next Tuesday in Marseilles and bring home top spot with a win

One final question. Is it true that the VAR official was the same individual who gave the handball against Sissoko in the CL final.

Someone on FB said it was. If so - the conspiracy theories should run wild !!!!

One final question. Is it true that the VAR official was the same individual who gave the handball against Sissoko in the CL final.

Someone on FB said it was. If so - the conspiracy theories should run wild !!!!

It seems it was. And I believe the ref on Wednesday was also a VAR official at the CL final too

Spaniard Antonio Mateu Lahoz was the fourth official and Danny Makkelie of the Netherlands was the video assistant referee in the debut of the system at a Champions League final. He was joined by his compatriot Pol van Boekel as one of the assistant VAR officials, with Felix Zwayer of Germany appointed as the other assistant VAR for the final. His fellow German Mark Borsch served as the offside VAR official.[2]

I have been quite amazed at how many opposition fans heads we live in. It appears us having a last minute winner ruled out has been the 'highlight of the season' for some oppostion fans.....how sad

For me, its gone, its done, its consigned to history in the same section as the Mendes goal, Mata's ghost goal in the semi, Kane v Southampton,etc, etc;

We have another game in less than 24 hours to be more concerned about, just a shame we keep seeing endless posts on social media dragging the debate on and on.

Hopefully it will all inspire the players to show us what the CL means to them next Tuesday in Marseilles and bring home top spot with a win

What goal are you referring to here?

P.S. - We are indeed many opposition fans favourite for laughing at. Some of it though is line with our growth as a club and that it's known we will have more people online who are 'bait-able' if you get what i mean...

Btw, i was out on Wednesday evening and had little/no access to finding out score until very, very late.

How do people think we played compared to how we did in previous game vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine?

Btw, i was out on Wednesday evening and had little/no access to finding out score until very, very late.

How do people think we played compared to how we did in previous game vs Saudi Sportswashing Outfit?

First half was much worse than against Saudi Sportswashing Machine for me. I didn’t think we were awful against Saudi Sportswashing Machine to be honest but Wednesday was more similar to the Man U game but against worse opposition.

Second half was excellent. We got higher up the pitch and it turns out Sporting weren’t very good on the ball under pressure. You have to wonder why the halves delivered such different performances, tactical tweaks aside.

You also have to wonder if we can deliver that second half performance for a full game, without being prompted by going behind and against better sides.

It spoils the match going experiance for me, it takes the feeling of the instant explosion of celebrating a goal away when you have to stand around for what seems ages before going apebrick. You go to the games so you know what that feels like when your side scores. Its may be different when you watch all games on the box as you are not surrounded by a live crowd.

It came our with the promise that it would solve all the wrong decisions ( or most of them) but all it does it create more controversey. I know a few guys who used to go home and away and since VAR reared its ugly head they have cut down on the number of matches they attend.

Hoddle was right when he said he feared more regular match goers whould stop going as they are not able to celebrate as they used to because of all the fudges ups that VAR create and having to stand around for what seems ages while some arsehole in a booth somewhere takes ages to make a decision ( which is gonad*s on occasions)

I hear you and they are fair points. The place went wild on Wednesday when Kane scored but even though I was part of it, part of me was also saying “please don’t go to VAR, please don’t go to VAR.” Im sure I wasn’t the only one. It was so frustrating and excruciating waiting as well coz you don’t have the benefit of seeing the replays so you’ve no idea what could happen.

So I get your point. I guess the counter argument is that you don’t see major, blatant injustices like you would have done pre-VAR when the officials make mistakes. So on that basis, I think there is surely a place for VAR in the game. Yet, whenever I try to evaluate how it should be used, I can’t find a way that doesn’t prompt a significant problem. So it’s a question of the least worst solution and I can see the argument for what you’re saying to be fair.

Back