• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield Utd ***

It personal choice and I understand it, but to me a crowd is an animal thats behaviour is hard to predict and difficult to control, not a safe place for children.

I'm not sure I agree with you, not as a general concept but for Spurs.

The new stadium is a very family friendly place and with a few adjustments (around wen you come in/leave) you can avoid the crush part of the crowds.

Outside of West Ham (asshats), since the stadium has opened I've seen very little and certainly nothing that a little situational awareness couldn't have allowed you to avoid (a lesson worth teaching children as well)

Taking kids to a game is the reason why its the biggest/ best game in the world. Its where the vast majority of us got the bug. I will never forget the first game i was taken too and looked down at the pitch for the first time, and despite the weather ( it was tinkling down) i have never forgotten that view from 60 odd years ago.

It personal choice and I understand it, but to me a crowd is an animal thats behaviour is hard to predict and difficult to control, not a safe place for children.
How old should they be before you deem it safe? I don't see what's dangerous for a kid in this day and age in our stadium.
The times Ive been at the new stadium, I've been more worried about older people taking a tumble down the stairs than anything else. Those terraces are STEEP!

Out of interest, how old were you when you first went to watch Spurs? How old was your son/daughter when you first took them to watch Spurs?

For those who were actually at the game; if you were AND you also went to the 3-0 win vs Arsenal in the late part of the 21-22 season, is it true that the roar when Kulu scored was louder than the loudest we were in the game?

For those who were actually at the game; if you were AND you also went to the 3-0 win vs Arsenal in the late part of the 21-22 season, is it true that the roar when Kulu scored was louder than the loudest we were in the game?

I was at both. I posted earlier in this thread that in my opinion it was. I have never heard anything like it. It was, as I described, like a blare of noise off the scale and sustained for a good while. White noise!

I think as a burst of noise it was probably louder on Saturday. But that NLD was something else from start to finish (and pre-start and post-finish) in terms of just being bloody loud the whole way through.

Out of interest, how old were you when you first went to watch Spurs? How old was your son/daughter when you first took them to watch Spurs?

I was 11, it was a different world, people were more restrained and my son was about the same age as my wife was concerned after the Bradford fire. It's probably safer in designate family areas but you still get people besotted with their mobile phones paying no attention to people around them and that little girl in the video was in the away section and there is no way I would have taken a small child in that area after I saw the type of men going in there on Saturday, neither would I let her stand without being held on a tube station platform but just a old fusspot.

Taking kids to a game is the reason why its the biggest/ best game in the world. Its where the vast majority of us got the bug. I will never forget the first game i was taken too and looked down at the pitch for the first time, and despite the weather ( it was tinkling down) i have never forgotten that view from 60 odd years ago.

upload_2023-9-18_17-3-48.png

I absolutely love this quote and it's made better by the fact it came from Bobby Robson.

First time I brought my lad was to Wembley when he was 6. The look on his face as he got inside the stadium and saw the pitch was absolutely magical. The steward smiled, looked at me and gave me a look as if to say "I see this every matchday and it never gets old".

I had just arrived in Canada from N. Ireland and my dad got my brother and I tickets to see the NHL's defending champions, Toronto Maple Leafs, play the Detroit Red Wings at the old legendary arena, Maple Leaf Gardens. My brother and I travelled from the third level concourse to the entrance for our seats and were dumbstruck by how bright the ice looked, how vibrant the Wings red and the Leafs blue uniforms looked as they warmed up. Must have stood there for two minutes. Over 55 years later, that image still remains clear in my mind.

Less so was my first and only visit to WHL back in 1979. Old enough to drink and had a thoroughly enjoyable day. But it was a grey day and nothing particularly stood out for me - other than I was standing on a terrace. Emirates Marketing Project weren't particularly vibrant in pale blue, Spurs, as ever, looked tidy in their white and navy.

I was 11, it was a different world, people were more restrained and my son was about the same age as my wife was concerned after the Bradford fire. It's probably safer in designate family areas but you still get people besotted with their mobile phones paying no attention to people around them and that little girl in the video was in the away section and there is no way I would have taken a small child in that area after I saw the type of men going in there on Saturday, neither would I let her stand without being held on a tube station platform but just a old fusspot.

Thanks for that.
My brother in law has (this and last season) season tickets for him and his two eldest children who are both 12 and 9 respectively. Sometimes he goes with just the older one if the younger isn't too bothered, has other things on etc.
Certainly seems safe for three three of them to go and i'm unsure if they are in the family enclosure. My son is two years older than his eldest and has gone with me at least 2 or 3 times a season since i first took him 8 years ago (which was such a proud moment for me that i won't ever forget).

I think the worries you have are understandable, though WHL is much safer for younger fans, i think, than say The Den - and even for that one i know another dad who took his much younger kids a few years back (now THAT was crazy imo) and i think it's more common generally to see families etc at games. Football is becoming like going to the cinema in some ways...

I've never been able to go to an away game and i must say i'd be much less likely to take children under the age of 11 for those (i think ditto my Brother in Law) if given the opportunity, so i do resonate with some of what you say.

Do you remember who we played that day?

My memory of my first game is so faint now. But I remember being at the back of the stand with my grandfather and father, both no longer with me. I think we won 1-0 (possibly against Forest), it wasn't a great game, and I didn't know what was going on! But that was it. From then on you knew. Your footballing identity was set.

Many years later my grandfather recalled being taken himself as a young kid. His dad and uncles formed a human shield around him and other kids. Back then it was all terraces no doubt.

We don't inherit a great deal of our identities in such a transient world. To think this affiliation, at times afliction, at times blessing, and all the great comradery, can date back over a centry! Or will do with future generations. It's extremely poingent.

Last edited:
Lovely video of a little girl having a great day out with her dad who she loves, but I believe taking small children to football grounds is irresponsible, there are far to many idiots about who can easily create a dangerous situation.

Have you seen the size of her Dad?

Also have you seen the number of kids that age (and younger) in the standing blocks of the South Stand?

She'll grow up a lot more savvy about danger than the little girl who does the things she describes in the video.

And I'm with everyone else here, nothing beats that moment of emerging from underground and seeing that pitch, amongst all the metal and concrete, for the first time.

Absolutely one of the best experiences taking g ya kids to the football. I am 100% wary of the age to start doing it ,is easier as two parents too IMO, takes the edge off the anxiety.

Def still a load of kn0bs about to ruin it but that's true of absolutely anything

Have you seen the size of her Dad?

Also have you seen the number of kids that age (and younger) in the standing blocks of the South Stand?

She'll grow up a lot more savvy about danger than the little girl who does the things she describes in the video.

And I'm with everyone else here, nothing beats that moment of emerging from underground and seeing that pitch, amongst all the metal and concrete, for the first time.

I understand your point about the south stand, that's a family stand but you must admit it's a jungle in the concourse at half time, people pushing their way through with little concern for anyone else, it's no good how ever big your dad is if hes not holding on to you. I think the idea that kids get savvy is cute, most kids and teenagers think they've indestructable, that's why hospitals casualty departments are full of them.

Back