• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Olympique de Marseille ***

Eesh yesterday was tough. Lots of games coming up, but we do not want to be going to Marseille needing a result. Can see why they're up there fighting it with PSG.

A few thoughts:

• Really high pressing from them, which we struggled with, seems like we had a policy of playing blind passes into the middle which most often led to a turnover, so did not work out
  • Son was awful, needs to be dropped now
  • Saying that, Kane was not great, but dropping so deep
  • Kulusevski is so so so so so good, changed the game coming on
  • Richarlison, if I have a third child, boy or girl, I am naming them Richarlison. I love him. Also, take a slow mo look at his second goal, incredibly difficult header to make, really well taken
  • Lastly, the crowd was WOEFUL. Jeez, what was up? No singing at all. Our first return to CL and the crowd never got going which i think did not help drive the atmosphere either, disappointing. We've seen the difference when we 'brutalised' Arsenal, need the same again
I don't think we're playing blind passes. It's the execution that is terrible. I know fudge all about football tactics, but it seems to me that the plan is to first be solid defensively (which we are), in order to be able to sit back and invite pressure so the opposition steps up closer to our final third. Then once we win the ball back get it quickly to one of the players in the middle of the pitch. The wingbacks and attacking players will then make runs forward so the player receiving the ball (usually in a tight space, as the opposition team has moved up) can release it to them. That can give us numerical superiority going forward and, more importantly, the opposition will be on the back foot. Of course this presupposes that the pass to the middle is accurate and well timed and the player receiving the ball finds one of the players making the forward run. And that's where we're falling short. The execution is quite bad, which is puzzling, as we have good players that can pull this off.

Goes to show how solid we are defensively and how watching the game and seeing how much possession the opposition had in our half makes you feel like we are under pressure, when in reality we are not. In the entire game Marseille had just one shot from inside our 18-yard box, which ended up being blocked. Everything else was low xG from distance. By contrast we had 9 attempts inside their 18-yard box.

Goes to show how solid we are defensively and how watching the game and seeing how much possession the opposition had in our half makes you feel like we are under pressure, when in reality we are not. In the entire game Marseille had just one shot from inside our 18-yard box, which ended up being blocked. Everything else was low xG from distance. By contrast we had 9 attempts inside their 18-yard box.

Our nervousness comes from past experiences, not what is actually happening.

I don't think we're playing blind passes. It's the execution that is terrible. I know fudge all about football tactics, but it seems to me that the plan is to first be solid defensively (which we are), in order to be able to sit back and invite pressure so the opposition steps up closer to our final third. Then once we win the ball back get it quickly to one of the players in the middle of the pitch. The wingbacks and attacking players will then make runs forward so the player receiving the ball (usually in a tight space, as the opposition team has moved up) can release it to them. That can give us numerical superiority going forward and, more importantly, the opposition will be on the back foot. Of course this presupposes that the pass to the middle is accurate and well timed and the player receiving the ball finds one of the players making the forward run. And that's where we're falling short. The execution is quite bad, which is puzzling, as we have good players that can pull this off.
Agree with all of that, but it looks to me like our excessive passing across the back might also be a deliberate attempt to wear them down chasing shadows until they are totally fudged and unable to resist our coup de grace in the final stages.

It's not a great watch but we're gaining points and wins.

We don't really give the other team much of a look in where it really matters (xg supports that)

We are running pretty much the same team as we did last season. We know 'that team' are capable of running into form (and when I say form, I mean 'eye pleasing').

The thing to get excited about is we haven't just got 'that team' anymore. All the new guys are being drip fed into the Conte system, some faster than others, but they'll all contribute.

I feel there will be a sweet spot at some point...where we look formidable, defence and attack.

This is it. And we keep dragging Poch back into it. I love Poch and his team, but we do tend to forget the games where we had all the possession but could not for the life of us break through the opposition defense. There were a lot of those games.

we do tend to forget the games where we had all the possession but could not for the life of us break through the opposition defense.
I don't, it was bloody awful to watch those matches. Hapless hoofs into a crowded box. Praying that someone like Kane or Bale or Son would spank in a worldy.

These meat heads on both sides should be ashamed.

This guarantees that in the return match, loads of random Spurs fans (not these sames ones) will get their heads kicked in

I think that was always on the cards, Marsielle and their fans are toxic, even the French don't go there.

Back