• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Olympique de Marseille ***

Our passing... what can I say. Even if the pass is good, it bounces off the receiving player. I can see what the team is trying to do when they unfold to attack, but it requires pinpoint precision passing for it to come off. And so far in most games where the opposition is defending us closely that precision just isn't there. We look like a bunch of cloggers. I don't really know what can fix that. It's not that most players don't have the quality to pull these passes off, but they're just not, with the exception of maybe Perisic and Richie. The rest are woeful. It's a head scratcher for sure.

If Conte was figuring out how to manage the fixture congestion then he succeeded.

We played like 10 men the whole game, even the red card meant nothing in attack. The goals eventually were simple and chalked down to poor defending.

Arsenal rejects looked more progressive until the red card. After which it curtailed its attacking and started wasting time and defending. Credit to the Kane - Son link up, why don't we do more of that.

Richarlison is much better with his head than his feet. Probably the strongest in hold up play in attack, very hard working. Him and Son breaking away looks promising but we have no credible way to link up, unless Kane drops deep.

Kane, nothing came off for him today. I hope he isn't fixated on the goal records at the expense of the team. Not much worked for Son either, but that red card shows again how threatening he is with defences when on full flight.

Finally seeing Dier defending aggressively. Conceded too many fouls naively, but this is how a ccb can contribute in a back three. Just needs to learn to win tackles without conceding fouls.

Boring boring, but I think this is the way to progress in cup competitions. To dare is also to do boring and win. Come on you spurs. (yawn!).

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

Performance leaves quite a bit to be desired for sure. Could see what we were trying to do in the first half, makes a bit of sense playing like that, just not accurate enough.

Surprised not to see a couple more changes from the start, but guess I should be used to Conte's rotation aversion.

Defensively very solid, capable of switching on in attack even though inconsistent. Not the worst place to be.

Yeah, we've not clicked properly into gear yet, lacking the quality in the details, but that'll come. Defensively very sound, Marseilles created fudge all. Two good finishes from Richy. And yeah, we were playing against ten men, but for a reason. Playing against ten men is always used as a stick to beat a team - but they went down to ten because Son was fouled through on goal. We made that happen. So 2-0 in the end wasn't unwarranted. Not saying we were great, but we deserved that win in the end.

Yeah, we've not clicked properly into gear yet, lacking the quality in the details, but that'll come. Defensively very sound, Marseilles created fudge all. Two good finishes from Richy. And yeah, we were playing against ten men, but for a reason. Playing against ten men is always used as a stick to beat a team - but they went down to ten because Son was fouled through on goal. We made that happen. So 2-0 in the end wasn't unwarranted. Not saying we were great, but we deserved that win in the end.

Despite the way we're playing making my eyes bleed (as is customary in the first halves of late), it is notable how few clear chances we give away despite being happy to cede possession. Cannae argue with the results and we needed to bank a home win to set things off right.

There's an interesting comparison with Poch's team, who were more appealing to watch and would demand more of the ball but were definitely more susceptible to getting caught on the counter, more naive + prone to the suckerpunch.

Edit - Just to tack on a couple of thoughts re the game not related to the post I quoted:

So happy for Richy getting his brace, absolutely deserved and clearly meant so much to him.

Wtf is with the "Bentancur charging around on the press whilst everyone else stands there watching" - Felt like I saw it four / five times last night where it was one of our CMs harrassing their backline meaning we would've had just PEH in there by himself and be pretty easy to play through..

Last edited:
Interesting to read Guendouzi's take on playing us, despite having plenty of possession they found it hard to create chances.
Our current style of play may not please many but it is effective and built to get results.
In the past we have dominated teams and not got a result which many were critical of, now we appear to have reversed this trend and still cant please people.
I've always believed in playing attacking football and think we have tried to do that, but the simple truth is we weren't good enough to get consistent results and if this is the way we have to play to win something before I give up going so be it.

Interesting to read Guendouzi's take on playing us, despite having plenty of possession they found it hard to create chances.
Our current style of play may not please many but it is effective and built to get results.
In the past we have dominated teams and not got a result which many were critical of, now we appear to have reversed this trend and still cant please people.
I've always believed in playing attacking football and think we have tried to do that, but the simple truth is we weren't good enough to get consistent results and if this is the way we have to play to win something before I give up going so be it.

It is still relatively early days, when it has bedded in and the players click our attack will make games much more enjoyable.

Good post. We were dire to watch under Jose but we stopped attacking at 1-0 and shut up shop even though we couldn’t hold on to a lead. At least with Conte it might not be pretty but we do keep going for more goals and never settle for a 1-0 or even a 2-0. We also look far more solid than under Jose.

Park the bus Jose did the same to lesser acclaim

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Park the bus Jose did the same to lesser acclaim

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Less acclaim because he couldn't get his gameplan to work and the results weren't there to show we should perserve with it.

Conte is getting results with his football and has shown last season it can be easy on the eye as well as effective

Last edited:
Eesh yesterday was tough. Lots of games coming up, but we do not want to be going to Marseille needing a result. Can see why they're up there fighting it with PSG.

A few thoughts:

• Really high pressing from them, which we struggled with, seems like we had a policy of playing blind passes into the middle which most often led to a turnover, so did not work out
  • Son was awful, needs to be dropped now
  • Saying that, Kane was not great, but dropping so deep
  • Kulusevski is so so so so so good, changed the game coming on
  • Richarlison, if I have a third child, boy or girl, I am naming them Richarlison. I love him. Also, take a slow mo look at his second goal, incredibly difficult header to make, really well taken
  • Lastly, the crowd was WOEFUL. Jeez, what was up? No singing at all. Our first return to CL and the crowd never got going which i think did not help drive the atmosphere either, disappointing. We've seen the difference when we 'brutalised' Arsenal, need the same again

We beat city on the weekend they'll be talking of us as title contenders.
Made me laugh at the end of the Man U v Arse game when Tyler said a good result for City's title challenge, no mention of us despite being level on points with them.
City will 99% win it again but we deserved our 1% surely, just saying...

Not easy to get a result in the CL after playing an intense game in the PL a couple of days before - as Chelsea and pool illustrated. So a great result all told. Plenty to improve on. Nerves. Our start. Making the ball stick when being pressed etc.

Back