• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace ***

Lots of people say EL/ECL is great for giving game time to the fringe players. Do they not remember this? https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ttenham-europa-conference-league-match-report

Or the other times it’s happened in the past 10 or so years? We haven’t made the quarter finals since 2013, when we lost to Basel.

If someone's arguing that the extra games are good to get games in to fringe players then the results/eventually getting knocked out isn't really relevant to that, is it?

It would also help if we didn't keep playing the same set of players that put in poor performances almost every time.

If someone's arguing that the extra games are good to get games in to fringe players then the results/eventually getting knocked out isn't really relevant to that, is it?

So the plan is to qualify for a tournament for some glorified friendlies? Even with fringe players, the goal is surely to win?

Lots of people say EL/ECL is great for giving game time to the fringe players. Do they not remember this? https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ttenham-europa-conference-league-match-report

Or the other times it’s happened in the past 10 or so years? We haven’t made the quarter finals since 2013, when we lost to Basel.

As I said above, I think its a fine balance between whether its worth it or not. The fringe or young player argument is one of a few arguments for it, though not compelling on its own

However our problem in the EL/ECL in recent years has been that our system/tactics (if you can call them that) was reliant on a couple world class players up top.

If you have a more sensible way of playing which isn't as reliant on a couple specific players then you can switch players in and out more easily.

Fine call re the merits of it as I say....

As I said above, I think its a fine balance between whether its worth it or not. The fringe or young player argument is one of a few arguments for it, though not compelling on its own

However our problem in the EL/ECL in recent years has been that our system/tactics (if you can call them that) was reliant on a couple world class players up top.

If you have a more sensible way of playing which isn't as reliant on a couple specific players then you can switch players in and out more easily.

Fine call re the merits of it as I say....

You’re probably right about the system, but it just seems extremely arrogant to expect to be able to use the EL/ECL in this way when the evidence over the past 15 years, even stretching back into the UEFA Cup, shows that it doesn’t work that way.

You’re probably right about the system, but it just seems extremely arrogant to expect to be able to use the EL/ECL in this way when the evidence over the past 15 years, even stretching back into the UEFA Cup, shows that it doesn’t work that way.

I think you can for the group stages, if you have an engrained system. I wouldnt advocate resting the entire first 11, but you could leave out completely say half the team who would start the following league game and bring in Bisouma, Kulu, Danjuma, Sarr etc alongside the other half of the first choice 11.

Either way, we're unlikely to throw games to avoid the EL or ECL so will be itneresting to see the new guy's approach!

I would still rather win the ECL than continue to win nothing.

The coefficient points would be good as well.
We won some friendly tournament in the US or somewhere within the last few years.

If you're setting your bar that low, we have won tournaments.

It’s on a level marginally above the Audi Cup. Fans of other clubs will think it’s hilarious.

Did they win it?
Roma won it last year, with the manager that has won a trophy everywhere, except with us... And they're on course to win it again this year. Juventus, Sevilla, Bayer Leverkusen and Roma Left.
You know, 3rd tier brick clubs that have no history. The backyard of Europe. Well beneath our level, because we are such giants that collect other trophies with ease.
We should do everything we can to not play in a European competition, so we screw up our coefficiency points, so we get a really bad draw when we're back in the CL.

Roma won it last year, with the manager that has won a trophy everywhere, except with us... And they're on course to win it again this year. Juventus, Sevilla, Bayer Leverkusen and Roma Left.
You know, 3rd tier brick clubs that have no history. The backyard of Europe. Well beneath our level, because we are such giants that collect other trophies with ease.
We should do everything we can to not play in a European competition, so we screw up our coefficiency points, so we get a really bad draw when we're back in the CL.

TBF three of those clubs are only in if for being knocked out early in the CL.

Tend to agree with you over this, expecting us to keep throwing cup games EL/ECL, FA CUP, LEAGUE CUP by throwing a team together and expecting to win has shown it does NOT WORK.Of course changes should be made but not AD/HOC as our history shows it does not work.

I agree here, its a comp thats too long and badly planned, goes on too long and usually has a detrimental impact on the sides that play in it. The reward is obviously to win it but this idea that because its lesser and if you throw your eggs in that basket you some how win it, I don't buy it anymore than I do any other knock out comp.

Back