• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Spurs v Fiorentina 1st leg ***

All this is true until you factor in a cup final 3 days later. With our record of results after euro away days, it's almost like we'd be throwing the final. Not an easy choice either way. I badly want to do well in Europe, but you can't pass up the chance to win a final, even the Mickey Mouse cup. I'll be fine with whatever way Poch chooses to play it.

I think everyone that isn't at least doubtful through injury will travel. If we're "in control" (Spurs never truly are) around 60 minutes we'll see key players taken off.

I think we can rotate ok but the ones we struggle to replace in particular are Eriksen and Kane. I wonder if Poch will stick to Dembele in this attacking role or switch it up for the final and play the same side that put 5 past Chelsea at home. Chadli was a big part of that.

---------------------Vorm-----------------------

Chiriches----Fazio-----Vertonghen-----Davies

------------Stambouli----Paulinho-------------

-----Townsend----Dembele-----Chadli------

---------------------Soldado---------------------

Could play something like this in the second leg I suppose. Might have to play one or two who will play the final, but it's not a terrible side. Poch almost has to just plan this according to what he considers are his priorities. Which is no easy thing considering half of us would argue about what should take precedence over the other. If the final is most important, then pick your team and plan backwards.

I agree that we almost have to rotate for the second leg. Particularly players that play a very high intensity game like Kane, Eriksen, Mason. Perhaps also Lamela and Chadli.

I agree that we almost have to rotate for the second leg. Particularly players that play a very high intensity game like Kane, Eriksen, Mason. Perhaps also Lamela and Chadli.
Lamela is a monster in terms of his work rate. He just doesn't seem to tire. This is how Bale used to be at the beginning. Althought rather than pressing it was just one lung busting run after the other.

Lamela is a monster in terms of his work rate. He just doesn't seem to tire. This is how Bale used to be at the beginning. Althought rather than pressing it was just one lung busting run after the other.

Agreed, he's probably one that could play both games. Along with Bentaleb who has done reasonably well with congested fixtures in the past and doesn't play as high intensity as some others.

Was just thinking that we need that little bit extra in terms of energy and work rate against Chelsea and that a rested Lamela would perhaps offer that little bit extra.

Dembele, as long as his hip isn't bothering him, is another one who seems fairly consistent when playing multiple games over time. As does Walker imo.

Really difficult decisions for Poch. Form and potential niggles/injuries will also play a part. Glad I'm not the one making these decisions. There's only one way he'll be given wide credit for making the right decisions and that's if we go through in the EL and win the LC final - regardless of what he actually does.

Agreed, he's probably one that could play both games. Along with Bentaleb who has done reasonably well with congested fixtures in the past and doesn't play as high intensity as some others.

Was just thinking that we need that little bit extra in terms of energy and work rate against Chelsea and that a rested Lamela would perhaps offer that little bit extra.

Dembele, as long as his hip isn't bothering him, is another one who seems fairly consistent when playing multiple games over time. As does Walker imo.

Really difficult decisions for Poch. Form and potential niggles/injuries will also play a part. Glad I'm not the one making these decisions. There's only one way he'll be given wide credit for making the right decisions and that's if we go through in the EL and win the LC final - regardless of what he actually does.

Can't help but think one failing might inspire another success similar to the disappointing Pompey semi final defeat, only for us to go on and record successive wins v Arsenal and Chelsea

Can't help but think one failing might inspire another success similar to the disappointing Pompey semi final defeat, only for us to go on and record successive wins v Arsenal and Chelsea

Interestingly I was thinking the exact opposite. That perhaps one success could inspire another and that this in a way would be a reason for not rotating much. With a week off in the buildup to the first Fiorentina game perhaps we could get away with just sending our best 11 out in every game and let the adrenaline do the rest as we hopefully build confidence by getting results.

I still think we should rotate, at least a bit. But interesting none the less.

At some point though we need to break the mould and achieve success on at least 2 fronts. We now have the coach who can do that IMO. For me that would be winning a trophy and finishing top 6. That would be the best we have done since the mid 80s.

Interestingly I was thinking the exact opposite. That perhaps one success could inspire another and that this in a way would be a reason for not rotating much. With a week off in the buildup to the first Fiorentina game perhaps we could get away with just sending our best 11 out in every game and let the adrenaline do the rest as we hopefully build confidence by getting results.

I still think we should rotate, at least a bit. But interesting none the less.

I hope you're right!

Agree with most of that written above, play this in the first leg/final:
Lloris
Walker-Fazio-Vert-Rose
Bentaleb-Mason
Lamela-Dembele-Eriksen
Kane​
Play this in the second leg:
Lloris
Walker-Dier-Vert-Davies
Bentaleb-Stambouli
Townsend-Dembele-Chadli
Soldado​
I just can't trust Paulihno/Chiriches/Capoue/Kaboul/Ade in an away fixture or important game.

I think we can rotate ok but the ones we struggle to replace in particular are Eriksen and Kane. I wonder if Poch will stick to Dembele in this attacking role or switch it up for the final and play the same side that put 5 past Chelsea at home. Chadli was a big part of that.

---------------------Vorm-----------------------

Chiriches----Fazio-----Vertonghen-----Davies

------------Stambouli----Paulinho-------------

-----Townsend----Dembele-----Chadli------

---------------------Soldado---------------------

Could play something like this in the second leg I suppose. Might have to play one or two who will play the final, but it's not a terrible side. Poch almost has to just plan this according to what he considers are his priorities. Which is no easy thing considering half of us would argue about what should take precedence over the other. If the final is most important, then pick your team and plan backwards.

Leave Eriksen and Kane out as they are the most important. Hopefully we can get through without them in the 2nd leg

Agreed but I don't see it being a 3 or 4 goal win with no reply. A cagey 2-0 win would be perfect. They have to come out in the second leg and be very unitalian, we keep it tight and stifle the game for the first 45 and look to nick a goal on the break which would effectively kill the tie.

But I mean properly blitz them - don't hold anything back. Like we've only seen in the Chelsea or Arsenal games.

We can then canter through the two other games in the interim 10 days before the final.

But I mean properly blitz them - don't hold anything back. Like we've only seen in the Chelsea or Arsenal games.

We can then canter through the two other games in the interim 10 days before the final.

If we try and canter in the West Ham game, which is being played at noon on the Sunday so less than 3 days afterwards, we will get beaten...

I agree that we should have a real go in the first leg vs Fiorentina though. However they are no mugs and i think it will be very difficult to mange the next 4 games. It's a shame only Kane is doing the business for us up front these days...

If we try and canter in the West Ham game, which is being played at noon on the Sunday so less than 3 days afterwards, we will get beaten...

I agree that we should have a real go in the first leg vs Fiorentina though. However they are no mugs and i think it will be very difficult to mange the next 4 games. It's a shame only Kane is doing the business for us up front these days...

The West Ham game isn't important.

I'm pretty confident we'll get either 5th or 6th in the league (ahead or behind Liverpool) now no matter what happens, and both are EL places.

Our focus has to be the cups

I'm pretty confident we'll get either 5th or 6th in the league (ahead or behind Liverpool) now no matter what happens, and both are EL places.

We have a shot at 4th but I can kind of see your point...A champions league place on offer to the europa league winners certainly makes things interesting.

West Ham at home is very important. Southampton play Scousers..... I do believe 4th is achievable if we can just tighten up at the back. We shall see... if we lose against the spammers come sunday I doubt people will think like you.....

Massive Test for Poch/squad in the next few weeks.... I hope we are up for it and that the mini-break has helped us.

Of course it's important. We have not gone past the quarters of the EL in more than 20 years. We have finished in the top 4 twice in recent years. We can't just put our eggs in one basket.

Back