• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

I think the injury screwed him over as he was playing very well before that. Had a few decent spots but hasn't dominated games. Think he's been alright but he needs to find that last step in his development soon. Don't know why people want to write him off so quickly as he's a decent squad option to have with the potential to be a regular player if he improves.
edit: @parklane1 just saw your post, basically just parroting what you said lol

I think the injury screwed him over as he was playing very well before that. Had a few decent spots but hasn't dominated games. Think he's been alright but he needs to find that last step in his development soon. Don't know why people want to write him off so quickly as he's a decent squad option to have with the potential to be a regular player if he improves.
edit: @parklane1 just saw your post, basically just parroting what you said lol

Great minds think alike. :)

We didn't play a back four and Skipp wasn't a regular until injuries forced Conte's hand to have him as one of the two, which is a hard place to play as a youngster anyways as you'll likely be outnumbered - It would be a tad harsh to blame him for the leaky defense last season. Whilst it's a fair point that we could do with more cover for the backline, we're not able to go and get in a Casimero type to plug the gap, especially with CB being a dumpster fire position needing investment as a priority.

In a three with Bentancur/ Bisouma and Maddison could definitely be rather good on the eyes, like PEH, Skippy's work with the ball is often underrated.

Yeah he’s got age on his side and he’s definitely not one who should be on the ‘sell’ list. Was just my view that I’ve been a little underwhelmed compared with some of the praise he’s got on here. I’ll happily admit, I don’t really appreciate that kind of player, something about that particular type of DM that goes over my head. I’ve seen him compared with Carrick which is OTT as Carrick was always going to be a class player. I hope he proves me wrong as it’s always nice when a local lad does well for the team.

In no way should you compare Winks and Skipp. One is a knife and the other is butter.

Winks had already made his full England debut by the age of 21. Skipp is 22 and isn’t a regular for the U21s. Hopefully Skipp will get better and go on to a better player than Winks turned out to be but just pointing out that Winks is ahead of Skipp at a similar point in their career.

It was hard to protect the back 4 when our basic tactic was concede possession and retreat!

We also never saw him paired with Bentancur though, only really Hojbjerg - who was the one causing a lot of the gaps.

Remember how good he was at the San Siro this season - that's the potential which is hopefully going to become his consistent performance level.

I've got real hopes for him this season, in a more assertive possession-based system, and alongside more suitable partners like Bentancur and Bissouma.

Winks was often paired alongside Sissoko. Not exactly a world class player either.

Winks had already made his full England debut by the age of 21. Skipp is 22 and isn’t a regular for the U21s. Hopefully Skipp will get better and go on to a better player than Winks turned out to be but just pointing out that Winks is ahead of Skipp at a similar point in their career.

Don't think you can judge him on that ... that is determined by the quality of players in the pool that can be selected.

He is a decent enough player, nothing more nothing less. He definitely does get more favoritism due to him being one of our own, not a criticism as such as of course we want to see our own flourish. But lets be honest had he been performing for one of the other big teams (not really sure which ones he would actually get into) I seriously doubt there would be a clamour of people pointing him out and wanting him here. At 22 of course age is on his side to improve, but right now he's not even getting in the starting lineup of the England U-21s and has no real standout features, just hearing fluffy things like 'he makes the defence look better' doesn't really make a compelling argument as to his true quality.

Being homegrown does make him an attractive one to keep, at least for the next season or two and see if he does indeed kick on. Seriously doubt he is one on the sell list for this season.....

He's a decent enough player, we can't have 4/5 CMs that are all top class - you have to have some first teamers and some back up who can still come in and do a job and play 20-30 games a season. Skipp is certainly capable of that and we'll have to see if he kicks on but he's a long way down the list of players to sell.

Jesus christ, the kid is still only 22 and has had injury problems over the last season or so. I understand that fans have different opinions on all players but to write a player off who IS still developing is crazy. IMO

Put a vowel at the end of his name and add we paid £40k transfer for him and you'd have some wetting their pants over him.

Or just believe some self wanting hype because he is an academy player.

Who's performed a lot better than N'dembele and Lo Celso, both of who had many on here creaming their pants when they signed. I'm not kidding myself our academy lads are all going to be great players but at least they care as much as many of us do and don't just do us favour turning up.

Who's performed a lot better than N'dembele and Lo Celso, both of who had many on here creaming their pants when they signed. I'm not kidding myself our academy lads are all going to be great players but at least they care as much as many of us do and don't just do us favour turning up.

Oh dear ... so you were not excited when the two mentioned signed ? Of course not you, were right the whole time.

Should never have got a manager in at all, should have stuck with Ryan bloody Mason ... he cares!

Do me a favour don't put bread in the toaster you may burn it ...

Back