• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oliver Skipp

Not saying much. Just a bigger version of Harry winks.

No way he gets into our rivals teams.

Just bigging up an academy player who plays very okish

Yeah nice player but I don’t see what his job is or what he excels at. He doesn’t protect the back four, dominate the midfield or create much. If he’s still here in 3 years I’ll be surprised.

Yeah nice player but I don’t see what his job is or what he excels at. He doesn’t protect the back four, dominate the midfield or create much. If he’s still here in 3 years I’ll be surprised.
I like Skipp but like you say, he doesn't excel at any one thing. He does have youth on his side and I saw an improvement in his passing ambition and attempts last season so he's still growing as a player so he's not one I'd want to lose in the short term. I'm not sure I see a starter in the long term, but a role player could work very well for him.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Very unlikely but 11 english clubs could get europe next season. 7 could get cl. We will be needing 4 club trained players with kane most likely off by 24/25 season you have to ask is skipp one of the top 4 club trained players we have at the club? The answer is yes (at the moment). So he'll stay.

I like Skipp but like you say, he doesn't excel at any one thing. He does have youth on his side and I saw an improvement in his passing ambition and attempts last season so he's still growing as a player so he's not one I'd want to lose in the short term. I'm not sure I see a starter in the long term, but a role player could work very well for him.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I think his defensive game is very underrated. But he's like say Carrick in that he defends by his positioning (threatening the pass so that its never attempted), rather than needing to make ineffective hollywood tackles. But he does also move the ball well, so is a bit of an alrounder. But he's a strong DM first and foremost IMO.

I think his defensive game is very underrated. But he's like say Carrick in that he defends by his positioning (threatening the pass so that its never attempted), rather than needing to make ineffective hollywood tackles. But he does also move the ball well, so is a bit of an alrounder. But he's a strong DM first and foremost IMO.

We conceded 63 goals last season in the league. Obviously that is not all down to him but I’d say we need better protection for the back four.

He's made any defence look better when he's come in, so he definitely does protect the back four. He was exceptionally skillful as a schoolboy, so I think there may be more to come as he finds his feet and develops. What he can't do is cover for PEH being out of position.

He's made any defence look better when he's come in, so he definitely does protect the back four. He was exceptionally skillful as a schoolboy, so I think there may be more to come as he finds his feet and develops. What he can't do is cover for PEH being out of position.
Nor howlers by the likes of Lloris, Forster, Dier, Lenglet, Porro, Davies et al.

We conceded 63 goals last season in the league. Obviously that is not all down to him but I’d say we need better protection for the back four.

It was hard to protect the back 4 when our basic tactic was concede possession and retreat!

We also never saw him paired with Bentancur though, only really Hojbjerg - who was the one causing a lot of the gaps.

Remember how good he was at the San Siro this season - that's the potential which is hopefully going to become his consistent performance level.

I've got real hopes for him this season, in a more assertive possession-based system, and alongside more suitable partners like Bentancur and Bissouma.

It was hard to protect the back 4 when our basic tactic was concede possession and retreat!

We also never saw him paired with Bentancur though, only really Hojbjerg - who was the one causing a lot of the gaps.

Remember how good he was at the San Siro this season - that's the potential which is hopefully going to become his consistent performance level.

I've got real hopes for him this season, in a more assertive possession-based system, and alongside more suitable partners like Bentancur and Bissouma.

Most of the players will get a fresh opportunity to impress Ange. Can’t help but think it’s a case of sticking up for a player because he’s an academy product though. Don’t see how he’s any better than Winks. If anything, Winks was probably more established at this point in his career but just didn’t kick on for whatever reason.

We didn't play a back four and Skipp wasn't a regular until injuries forced Conte's hand to have him as one of the two, which is a hard place to play as a youngster anyways as you'll likely be outnumbered - It would be a tad harsh to blame him for the leaky defense last season. Whilst it's a fair point that we could do with more cover for the backline, we're not able to go and get in a Casimero type to plug the gap, especially with CB being a dumpster fire position needing investment as a priority.

In a three with Bentancur/ Bisouma and Maddison could definitely be rather good on the eyes, like PEH, Skippy's work with the ball is often underrated.

Ange will absolutely love Skipp. No chance he leaves.

I absolutely agree and hope it turns out to be true but IIRC you and a couple of others were stating that Ange could also love Winks, right before we sold him to a championship outfit ;)

It's always hard to check one's own bias when it comes to academy players for me, I remember being pretty hyped over Bentaleb and Onomah who whilst having had decentish careers have fizzled out, but Skipp seems a lot more presence then Winks ever did to me.

He is a decent enough player, nothing more nothing less. He definitely does get more favoritism due to him being one of our own, not a criticism as such as of course we want to see our own flourish. But lets be honest had he been performing for one of the other big teams (not really sure which ones he would actually get into) I seriously doubt there would be a clamour of people pointing him out and wanting him here. At 22 of course age is on his side to improve, but right now he's not even getting in the starting lineup of the England U-21s and has no real standout features, just hearing fluffy things like 'he makes the defence look better' doesn't really make a compelling argument as to his true quality.

Being homegrown does make him an attractive one to keep, at least for the next season or two and see if he does indeed kick on. Seriously doubt he is one on the sell list for this season.....

He is a decent enough player, nothing more nothing less. He definitely does get more favoritism due to him being one of our own, not a criticism as such as of course we want to see our own flourish. But lets be honest had he been performing for one of the other big teams (not really sure which ones he would actually get into) I seriously doubt there would be a clamour of people pointing him out and wanting him here. At 22 of course age is on his side to improve, but right now he's not even getting in the starting lineup of the England U-21s and has no real standout features, just hearing fluffy things like 'he makes the defence look better' doesn't really make a compelling argument as to his true quality.

Being homegrown does make him an attractive one to keep, at least for the next season or two and see if he does indeed kick on. Seriously doubt he is one on the sell list for this season.....

It's not just hg it is the fact he is club trained. If we get back into europe we need 4 ct players to have a full squad. Which 4 would you choose? (Kane will probably be gone by then).

Back