• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

Jury's still out for me. Too easily brushed off the ball and, frankly, his first touch is really not as good as it should be given that he get into positions where a great first touch would be everything...

one thing that impressed me about him was his endurance! he just goes and goes and goes.

he helped out defensively and really pressured off the ball. i never really appreciated his off the ball work rate. but under avb he appears to be a machine..

one of our better players against reading, anyone saying otherwise watched a different game to me.

one thing that impressed me about him was his endurance! he just goes and goes and goes.

he helped out defensively and really pressured off the ball. i never really appreciated his off the ball work rate. but under avb he appears to be a machine..

one of our better players against reading, anyone saying otherwise watched a different game to me.

Got quite a lot of praise for his work rate at Swansea too.

Looked to run himself into the ground after about an hour against Reading, but having played two internationals and still being early in the season it's understandable. I think his role is one that requires a lot of running under AVB, hence him and Dempsey being brought in and VDV being let go. I wonder if Sig will be "our Joe Cole or Özil" as far as being subbed almost always when he starts.

I thought there were a lot of encouraging signs in the last game. Teammates and midfield not quite on the same wavelength yet but I'm very impressed by the way he always seems to find an open position in the box and evades whoever is marking him. Should score a lot of goals this season.

Once our forward players get used to his style they will be getting on the end of his through balls and he will appear more creative, but analyzing these games he already IS creative but our players are not on the same page yet. That will come.

The best improvement so far is the work rate and pressing, I think we will become a very good team as the season progresses and we grow into this new system and players get used to playing together.

I dont doubt The Sig's ability.

I hope he doesnt take over from STEEEED though. I nicknamed him Malbranque "the nearly man" insofar as almost everything he tried nearly came off, but not quite.

Hope The Sigg is better in that regard

still waiting for him to do... something

good pass to lennon v. reading i guess

People were falling over themselves last season when he scored a couple for the mighty Swansea

The fact is - he's been nothing better than a 6/10 so far this season imv - and is yet to show any glimpses of true quality/potential bar a few neat passes here and there

Hope I'm dead wrong - we need a quality player in that position

I'd like to see us play with Gylfi and Ade. I think we'd be using 2 players more comfortable in possession than Defoe and Dempsey. If we're going to dominate possession let's have people who can recycle it better. Defoe and Dempsey are the better finishers though.

Edit* actually Sig is a better finisher than Dempsey maybe, but Dempsey has better timing and experience.

I'd like to see Thudd next to Sandro and Dembele in the floating role off Defoe/Ade

He hasn't won me over yet either but as a big VDV fan I am still a bit miffed that he's gone and Siggy is playing in his place. Everything Siggy does is compared in my head to VDV, which is not entirely fair I suppose. It's a bit early to form an opinion on Siggy but I will anyway.

On the plus side I can see...
- good engine
- hard worker
- disciplined in his positioning
- nice goal in pre-season and one nice pass into Lennon are the highlights that I can remember

He does however need to show a lot more to justify his starting spot. He came with a reputation of being a 'Lampard-lite' and not because Frank is fat. The late break into the box and an accurate outside shot were the two things I expected to see a lot more of. His shooting so far has been meh and I think he holds onto the ball just a fraction longer than he needs to. I'll put these down to him being in a new team and all that entails for now. Early report card for me reads must do better.

Aside I didn't think Dempsey was that good last night either. Not dreadful, but that position on the pitch is so so important for our style of play that we can't just have an average player in there. Not when you see who our direct competitors have lining out in similar roles.

He hasn't won me over yet either but as a big VDV fan I am still a bit miffed that he's gone and Siggy is playing in his place. Everything Siggy does is compared in my head to VDV, which is not entirely fair I suppose. It's a bit early to form an opinion on Siggy but I will anyway.

- good engine
- hard worker
- nice goal in pre-season and one nice pass into Lennon are the highlights that I can remember

He does however need to show a lot more to justify his starting spot. He came with a reputation of being a 'Lampard-lite' and not because Frank is fat. The late break into the box and an accurate outside shot were the two things I expected to see a lot more of. His shooting so far has been meh and I think he holds onto the ball just a fraction longer than he needs to. I'll put these down to him being in a new team and all that entails for now. Early report card for me reads must do better.

Aside I didn't think Dempsey was that good last night either. Not dreadful, but that position on the pitch is so so important for our style of play that we can't just have an average player in there. Not when you see who our direct competitors have lining out in similar roles.

Why would you compare him to VDV when he nor anyone else is playing in VDVs position? We play a different system to last season and isn't playing in VDVs role....

Why would you compare him to VDV when he nor anyone else is playing in VDVs position? We play a different system to last season and isn't playing in VDVs role....

You could argue that VDV was not disciplined in his his positioning but he primarily operated in the space behind the striker which is where Gylfi operates too.

I hate the whole formation discussions as football is so fluid that many formations are only minor variations of the same, so I'm not going to get into that, but the shape of the team has not been radically altered to my mind. One up top - one in the hole - two CM - two wide men - four at the back.

Totally this. VDV was playing in front of a bank of four and dropping deep. Sigurdsson is playing in a 3 man central midfield and breaking forward. Completely different roles.

Agreed.

Then:

Lennon----Parker---Modric----Bale
-----------VdV---------------------
-------------------Defoe/Ade------

Now:

--------Sandro-----Dembele-------
Lennon------Sig'------------Bale
-------------Defoe----------------

gylfi's still young so every chance he will grow better.

love the guy but vdv's injuries were really getting the better of him; i think we saw him peak in a spurs shirt (after a hiatus from football in real madrid).

Been very poor so far if you ask me, barely notice him in games which pretty much says it all. Poor first touch, poor passing and doesnt seem to be getting into very good positions.

Considering everyone was raving before the season started that he's a great player to have in the squad because he knows the league etc I'd have hoped for more of an impact. Still its early days and the team overall is improving and hopefully he will too.

- good engine
- hard worker

Maybe you weren't looking closely enough though. In every prem game so far, I have seen Sigurdsson get into excellent positions but his teammates haven't been able to find him. One of many examples was in the last game at Reading, where Defoe chose to shoot instead of lay it off to Siggy who had an open shot and likely would have scored.

As for outside shots, I thought we would see some more of those as well but no player is likely to score one of those every 3 or 4 games. Trust me though, the players we brought in during summer, as well as Caulker, are absolute quality and will show that. They need more time to gel into a team, which AVB acknowledged but it will happen.

Not at all impressed by Sigurdson so far. He is supposed to give us atleast 10 goals from midfield like VDV but hardly looking like scoring one now. Really disappointed the way he wasted a sitter against Reading. VDV is a 10-league-goal-a-season player. If Sig doesn't atleast emulate that, then selling VDV would have been a big blunder.

Back