• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

He looks like a deer in the headlights at the moment. He oozed confidence at Swansea. Ok he's made a jump to a bigger club, but no offence, it's not like we're Barcelona.

Needs to be taken out of the firing line as he's contributing nothing at present. Worst thing we can do is risk the fans getting on his back as Spurs fans can - there's no way back from there

Would agree but next game is Carlise, so might be exactly what he needs

He looks like a deer in the headlights at the moment. He oozed confidence at Swansea. Ok he's made a jump to a bigger club, but no offence, it's not like we're Barcelona.

I think if a few of his braver efforts had come off in the earlier games he would be finding his feet, but he seems to be shrinking a little. Agree with the post above, let him try and create a few at Carlisle and get a smile on his face.

He is doing OK. He played the perfect pass to set up a recent goal.
To be honest, I don't really know what is our best team at the moment and I am happy this guy is an option.

I'll be honest, I didn't see much of Swansea last season as I barely had time to watch anything but Spurs, so I was trusting others' judgements that the lad was quality. All I can say is that 6 games into the season in which he has featured heavily, I still have no idea what his role is, or what his strengths are. He just seems to hang around the centre of the pitch and occasionally make a sideways pass or more likely just get muscled off the ball. I just don't see it, but I'm still holding on hope to the people who say he was amazing at Swansea.

Gylfi Sigurdsson says squad are in tune with new system

Gylfi Sigurdsson has settled in swiftly at Spurs with a little help from Ben E King and Ledley King.

Music first. It was on Tottenham's pre-season tour to the US that Sigurdsson found himself stepping up on to a chair in an LA hotel. It was initiation time for the new recruits. “I had to sing a song for all the boys, so I sang Stand By Me,” he recalled, with a smile, of the Ben E King classic. “I stood on a chair and got embarrassed. I’m not the best singer but the boys said it was all right. In Iceland, we have Bjork, who’s quite famous around the world, and [the band] Sigur Ros but I’m not a singer!”

He is a character, though. On Monday, Sigurdsson cancelled his day off to join Ledley King at the Spurs ambassador’s “Skills” set-up, a Tottenham Hotspur Foundation initiative providing sporting facilities in a former disused youth centre close to White Hart Lane. Sigurdsson immediately immersed himself in all the activities, playing table tennis and even doing some sparring in the ring, padding away some feisty punches – “my shoulders were hurting, I was counting down the seconds.”

“Ledley and the club are doing a fantastic job here,” Sigurdsson said. “It is very important, especially for the younger kids so they can get into sport, especially after school, play table tennis, boxing or whatever sport with their friends. As footballers, we are very privileged. A lot of young kids look up to us. Most of us know what that feels like because we were there once. When we were young, we looked up to footballers.”

Like compatriot Gudni Bergsson, formerly of Spurs? “Gudni was a centre half, so I didn’t look up to him that much!” Sigurdsson joked. “I respect him for what’s he’s done. He’s a lawyer, very clever. Gudni does a football highlights programme, like Match of the Day. I looked up to Eidur Gudjohnsen; he was doing very well at Bolton, Chelsea and here at Spurs. I’ve always looked up to Frank Lampard. He’s scored a couple of goals from midfield in the last 10 years! He’s unbelievable. His goalscoring record is phenomenal.”

Sigurdsson’s saga, which has taken in Reading, Hoffenheim, Swansea City and now Spurs, whom he joined for £8 million in the summer, began 23 years ago in Hafnarjordur, a harbour town close to Reykjavik. “My father was a fisherman. I did a couple of summer days out to sea with him and my brother when I was younger. He does a little bit still but most of the time he’s not really working. He’s playing golf, trying to beat me. “I would have gone to university if I hadn’t done football. I am very into languages. I started doing Spanish when I was at Reading through the internet. I learnt German at Hoffenheim. I have three languages I am very good at: German, English and Icelandic. I also speak a little bit of Danish.

“Hoffenheim was different. It was good to learn another language and the Bundesliga is a fantastic league. British players enjoy themselves a bit more than German. It’s more relaxed but they still work hard in training. The tempo is higher in England. In Germany you have two sessions a day and the intensity isn’t as much as in one session in England. I enjoy English football a lot more.”

He has been coached by some of the best young managers in the game, from Brian McDermott at Reading to Brendan Rodgers at Swansea and now Andre Villas-Boas at Spurs. “Brian’s a very good person,” Sigurdsson said. “Most of the boys really liked him at Reading, and still do. He does most of the sessions himself. Most of the new managers do. Brendan, Andre and Brian do all the sessions themselves, controlling everything.

“Brendan is very good, driven, highly motivated. I really enjoyed working with him at Swansea. He’s got a lot of self-belief. He’s very clever in everything he does. He learned a lot from Jose Mourinho at Chelsea. He will be one of the top managers in the future for a long time. He’s still very young, still learning. He will do well at Liverpool.

“Andre’s very involved in training. When we are playing games, it is almost like he’s playing as well, he’s right in the thick of it. Most of the boys are really happy with the training, getting used to different ways of training, different from what Harry [Redknapp] was doing. It’s a bit more continental. It’s different with the warm-ups, the stretching. We trained a lot during pre-season, double sessions every day. All the boys are very fit.

“We are getting into a rhythm with the new [4-2-3-1] system now, scoring more goals. Most of the players are comfortable playing this way. Jermain Defoe is not too bad is he? He’s scoring goals for fun. He’s unbelievable, almost 200 goals. Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon are as quick as anything. I remember playing against them for Swansea and these are the players you don’t want to see on the team sheet. They have so much quality.

“I scored against Spurs last season. I know Brad Friedel doesn’t like that goal! He’s getting older. He’s 45 or something. He’s a legend. He’s very professional, very calm, got the experience. He’s playing really well. Hugo Lloris is very, very good as well. We have four great keepers. We’ve got Carlo Cudicini and Gomes as well. I have never been at a club with so much quality in goal.

“We had one day off on the trip to America and I played golf with Brad. I beat him. Michael Dawson plays a lot. Carlo plays quite a bit. Kyle Walker tries. He’s good the first couple of holes and then loses concentration. I don’t know how Gareth hits it. It’s so far. It’s unbelievable. His short game is not the best. It’s a great group of guys, good mixture. Tom Huddlestone is very funny. Humour, his personality, his hair. He’s growing it for charity. There are a few characters in the dressing room.”

Spurs will need that character at Old Trafford on Saturday. “Manchester United are a fantastic team. They have so much quality. It is not easy to pick out one player. If you leave Giggsy out, there’s Scholesey, then Van Persie, Kagawa, Rio, Carrick, Rooney. It will be a very hard game. We are going to do our best.”

Sigurdsson will stand by his team-mates.

------------------------------------------

He really needs to score in the league to settle down. Until he does that people are going to question his quality.

I can see where he thinks he likes to be with that Fat Frank reference, circulate the ball and then get into the box as additional option to strike and might not be picked up, not when you have defoe, lennon, bale, dembele all there too. But here he's got to settle in and play with different players and formation than swansea.

Seems like such a nice kid too, hope he does well with us. Not easy to stand out, but when he starts scoring, we'll see him.

Gylfi Sigurdsson says squad are in tune with new system

“I scored against Spurs last season. I know Brad Friedel doesn’t like that goal! He’s getting older. He’s 45 or something. He’s a legend. He’s very professional, very calm, got the experience. He’s playing really well. Hugo Lloris is very, very good as well. We have four great keepers. We’ve got Carlo Cudicini and Gomes as well. I have never been at a club with so much quality in goal.

------------------------------------------

He really needs to score in the league to settle down. Until he does that people are going to question his quality.

Haha, cheeky fudger! :D

I like Sigurdsson, made my feelings known towards him at the back end of last season and was delighted we signed him, once he hits his stride here he'll be a hit.

But he doesnt deserve to be in the starting eleven today.

Been away for a bit but been reading this forum on my phone when I can, must say I've been shocked at the level of criticism Siggy has been getting. I can only assume it's because he isn't as 'flairy' as VDV and people expect something different from him. But he's been singled out for more criticism than most when by all accounts the whole team has been pretty poor.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away - a decent performance in a good team performance. WBA at home, came on as sub and looked no worse than anyone else in the team when we started to give WBA the initiative. Norwich at home - the whole team was utter brick. Reading away - this is a game where you could see what he was trying to do but a lot of the times it wasn't coming off. He's like Carrick in his stance, how he doesn't like to go to ground, to keep possession, to play the right pass. And even in this game he played an absolutely perfectly weighted pass through to Lennon. And QPR at home, once again, the whole team was crap in the first half, and he got subbed because he was less versatile than Dempsey, and we wanted to switch to 4-4-2.

He's been taking up good positions in the games that we've performed badly in, but I think he is actually more used to playing in the way AVB wants than most of the team are, so they aren't finding him. I also suspect part of the problem with the team, and therefore Siggy's performances in general, is that he's bought to play in a possession game which he proved he could do at Swansea, but AVB hasn't quite taken us there yet. He seems intent on having us a lot deeper than his 'high line' past would suggest, I assume to give space for Bale, Lennon and Defoe to break into. But so far it has just invited teams on to us and we haven't played with the initiative. Things do still need to click with the tactics.

"When I came on it was 1-0 and I wanted to help us finish the game off," said Gylfi.

"I managed to get the assist and was delighted to see Jermain score. That made it 2-0 and a little more comfortable. Jermain then scored the third.

"It was a very good win and great to keep a clean sheet away from home against a team like Fulham. That's three wins in a row and things are looking good."

Been away for a bit but been reading this forum on my phone when I can, must say I've been shocked at the level of criticism Siggy has been getting. I can only assume it's because he isn't as 'flairy' as VDV and people expect something different from him. But he's been singled out for more criticism than most when by all accounts the whole team has been pretty poor.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine away - a decent performance in a good team performance. WBA at home, came on as sub and looked no worse than anyone else in the team when we started to give WBA the initiative. Norwich at home - the whole team was utter brick. Reading away - this is a game where you could see what he was trying to do but a lot of the times it wasn't coming off. He's like Carrick in his stance, how he doesn't like to go to ground, to keep possession, to play the right pass. And even in this game he played an absolutely perfectly weighted pass through to Lennon. And QPR at home, once again, the whole team was crap in the first half, and he got subbed because he was less versatile than Dempsey, and we wanted to switch to 4-4-2.

He's been taking up good positions in the games that we've performed badly in, but I think he is actually more used to playing in the way AVB wants than most of the team are, so they aren't finding him. I also suspect part of the problem with the team, and therefore Siggy's performances in general, is that he's bought to play in a possession game which he proved he could do at Swansea, but AVB hasn't quite taken us there yet. He seems intent on having us a lot deeper than his 'high line' past would suggest, I assume to give space for Bale, Lennon and Defoe to break into. But so far it has just invited teams on to us and we haven't played with the initiative. Things do still need to click with the tactics.

excellent post

"When I came on it was 1-0 and I wanted to help us finish the game off," said Gylfi.

"I managed to get the assist and was delighted to see Jermain score. That made it 2-0 and a little more comfortable. Jermain then scored the third.

"It was a very good win and great to keep a clean sheet away from home against a team like Fulham. That's three wins in a row and things are looking good."

Great words from Sig. Clearly thinking more about the team then himself which is very rare to see from a footballer.

when bale went down i actually had a good feeling about the teams performance.

cause it meant the wonky came back.

if bale is not injured that is greeat. but if he is i dont think it will be then end of the world. cause it would move us to a potentially more solid system with variety and options

Yep, well said Siggy, you've got talent, now let's see you shine. (like stardust :)

if bale is not injured that is greeat. but if he is i dont think it will be then end of the world. cause it would move us to a potentially more solid system with variety and options

i said the same when it happed. A blessing in disguise so to speak.

I think i get what you are saying. You would prefer to rely more upon the system and less upon bale, as the system would be far more reliable and is affected far less by the sale of players.

It's a sensible view tbh.

I think i get what you are saying. You would prefer to rely more upon the system and less upon bale, as the system would be far more reliable and is affected far less by the sale of players.

It's a sensible view tbh.

I would think so too.

people dont realise but during aour recent resurgence into premiership power we never really played with 2 out and out wingers like we do now. infact it was only when BAE got injured and someone else got injured ...we have to commit to bale on the left wing. once that happened it was curtains for the wonky

bale going down isnt good but it doesnt mean life stops

once upon a time we played nearly half a season without bale, modric and VDV......and no adebayor too. and we did well...infact we finished 4th that year and qualified for the Champs league. with a beastly defensive record at home and a decent goal differential

i said the same when it happed. A blessing in disguise so to speak.

yep. though i feel we will have a problem with the full backs

verts isnt BAE ...so possesion and threat down the left flank will be limited,......aand kyle walkers positioning, plus his disdtributions, keeps fudging up lennon

Back