• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

i think the sooner the folks here learn to decouple siggy from vdv the better.
vdv is one of a kind - will probably cost tons more than siggy.
siggy is not a vdv replacement.
the club lost vdv and mods and brought in siggy, dembele, dempsey.

the question is whether siggy is performing well within AVB's new organization and structure (which inlcudes dembele and dempsey).
my view is that Siggy is what AVB likes ina player... and doing it much better than say Jenas.
i'm quite sure AVB doesn't tell Siggy to act/play like VDV.

My opinion, for what it's worth, Sig is more suited to a modders role, pick up deep and bring it forward - moussa dembele and Dempsey to a more forward/attacking Vdv role, getting goals behind either, or both Defoe/Ade.

All 3 will get better as they understand how the others already operate, or what avb want's them to do.

i think the sooner the folks here learn to decouple siggy from vdv the better.
vdv is one of a kind - will probably cost tons more than siggy.
siggy is not a vdv replacement.
the club lost vdv and mods and brought in siggy, dembele, dempsey.

the question is whether siggy is performing well within AVB's new organization and structure (which inlcudes dembele and dempsey).
my view is that Siggy is what AVB likes ina player... and doing it much better than say Jenas.
i'm quite sure AVB doesn't tell Siggy to act/play like VDV.

But if you are playing one up top then the player in the hole has to contribute some goals as well as the wingers. He doesn't look like doing that as yet.

But if you are playing one up top then the player in the hole has to contribute some goals as well as the wingers. He doesn't look like doing that as yet.

We know that he can score goals when given opportunities.

Strikers go 4 games without scoring fairly regularly, even more is not uncommon. Just 4 games in, the goals will come. VdV had much longer runs without scoring.

several times against Reading he got himself in to positions where a cut back or a short pass from a team mate would have left him with a free shot at goal and a good chance of opening his account for us. he seemed to get harsh ratings in this match - i thought it was a good performance, was very much involved in things even though his final ball was often not good enough and was getting himself in to great positions in the final 3rd - once the team gels together more i reckon we will see it click in to place for him, it's a position where you need to be aware of your team mates - more than others id say and this understanding will come with time

As much as he hasn't truly impressed he has been pretty much the only one trying to thread balls through the opposition defence. The pass for Lennon's cut back for Defoe's first vs Reading is a prime example. There have been others that have either not resulted in anything significant or haven't reached their target. The good thing is he is at least trying such passes as that is what we definitely miss without Vdv.

clown shoe

I thought you were being sarky

I think we need to have words as to the definition of special

Special to me means a bit different from the rest. The rest being other players in a similar position to GS. I think he offers us a little bit different to anyone else we have we just haven't seen it yet.

Special can also mean a little bit weird.

Which one are you? ;)

several times against Reading he got himself in to positions where a cut back or a short pass from a team mate would have left him with a free shot at goal and a good chance of opening his account for us. he seemed to get harsh ratings in this match - i thought it was a good performance, was very much involved in things even though his final ball was often not good enough and was getting himself in to great positions in the final 3rd - once the team gels together more i reckon we will see it click in to place for him, it's a position where you need to be aware of your team mates - more than others id say and this understanding will come with time

Yeah true but when VDV arrived it seemed he was settled into that position almost immediately and looked a lot more threatening from the off. If Sig isn't getting the ball then he needs to find a way of getting himself more involved. That will be tricky as he is more disciplined than VDV and wont go back to the halfway line to get it but he needs to drift into the right space between the lines so that he is picked out at the right moments. Cant always wait for the ball to come to you.

Special to me means a bit different from the rest. The rest being other players in a similar position to GS. I think he offers us a little bit different to anyone else we have we just haven't seen it yet.

Special can also mean a little bit weird.

Which one are you? ;)

I'm the third one... The special one...

I have a feelin that you fall inbetween the first n second 'definitions'

Grrrrrrrrrr

Thing with Siggy at Swansea was he was brought in for his goals as well as Rodgers managing him in the past I believe? and at the time seemed to be the only one scoring Swansea's goals, theyd look for him, play to his strengths. At us, we have Bale, Defoe, Ade etc all capable of scoring goals and will score goals, so Sigurdsson has to contribute in other ways (pass for Lennon against Reading) etc.

Sigurdson seems like lacking in confidence at the moment. Maybe he is unable to handle the pressure of playing at Spurs. This is why I always don't prefer us signing players direct from small clubs where there is no pressure to perform.

i don't think he's lacking confidence, but i believe he is still adjusting to new players and getting used to avb's pressing system.

with swansea the game play was everyone make yourself available to receive the ball. so its actually a more open game, not as compressed as it is here at the moment.

again he isn't strictly the player in the hole - he is more "box-to-box", the extra player everywhere in the midfield. based on what i've seen so far my guess is that for goals we're looking more towards bale and defoe at the moment, with CMs as late arriving striking options. siggy helps out a lot in defence ... and you should be watch out for the off-the-ball running and notice how well he reinforces the play.

for a vdv replacement, dempsey would be much closer, but still a force-fit as we don't play the same way as under harry.

To be fair he's nearly scored about 4 already. A bit more luck and he'd have a couple under his belt no problems.

I'm certainly not writing him off anyway. Played about 5 games 22 years old. Proven track record of bagging loads of goals. Happy to have him around.

Needs to be taken out of the firing line as he's contributing nothing at present. Worst thing we can do is risk the fans getting on his back as Spurs fans can - there's no way back from there

Back