• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

I think he was the best man on the pitch in the first half, totally invisible in the 2nd. I was not impressed by Lennon and Walker yesterday, thought maybe that it would be a good idea to take Lennon off, put VDV on the right and push Gylfi further up the field.

I thought Lennon was our biggest threat. I would only play with one dedicated holding mid and have Sig pressing from the front, Sandro from the back and VDV in the middle picking up the lose balls and creating things.

Nowt special in his two appearances against us.

Mind, Cabaye was anonymous yesterday as well, but he wasn't even close to being fully fit, still played a part in the lovely move leading up to our first goal.

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

Great through ball by Gylfi to Lennon (reminiscent of Corluka in his prime) to set up Defoe' opener but most of his link up play appeared to go astray and he should've scored when Defoe set him up with only a couple of defenders on the line to beat.

Great through ball by Gylfi to Lennon (reminiscent of Corluka in his prime) to set up Defoe' opener but most of his link up play appeared to go astray and he should've scored when Defoe set him up with only a couple of defenders on the line to beat.

Well its not like he had an open goal then, and he had to check his position as the pass was delayed and when it come to him he wasnt completely balanced - it was not like he was coming onto the ball and could just slot it in and was not an easy chance at all.....

I have a feeling Gylfi is a confidence player.

Looking at him for Swansea, his feet flowed and he had a swagger about him. For us apart from the odd moment (like the lennon pass) he looks a little lost and a bit burdened by what he probably perceives as a step up. Easy misplaced passes, caught in possesion and looking a bit flat footed.

The main difference between us and Swansea is he was a guaranteed starter week in week out for them. Thats not gonna happen at Spurs (yet) and some players if unsure of their role and/or selection can have a real effect on their game. (basically they worry too much!)

Well its not like he had an open goal then, and he had to check his position as the pass was delayed and when it come to him he wasnt completely balanced - it was not like he was coming onto the ball and could just slot it in and was not an easy chance at all.....

If he had looked up he would have seen that the entire left side of the goal was open, as both defenders and the goalie were concentrating on blocking Defoe. Like you say, it wasn't the easiest chance but I can't help but think that VdV would've just slotted that into the empty half of the goal...

i believe he has been given a different role under AVB.
he's the proper box-to-box midfielder that we never had.
in AVB's system he takes the vertical sweep, while bale does the horizontal sweep in the forward areas,

or would you prefer jenas?

Last edited:

At the risk of people having a go at me (dont care really) I would prefer Dempsey. I think Sig is a better passer than Dempsey but I think Dempsey is more potent up front whether he can play the through balls etc I dont know.

Im not a big fan of Sig and no I dont have to like every single player and didnt like him before he came. So it isnt as if I dont rate him because of his four games for us its just more that I think he isnt as good as people think he is. I wont boo him or sigh at the games etc but i would be more than happy to be proved wrong.

Looking at him for Swansea, his feet flowed and he had a swagger about him. For us apart from the odd moment (like the lennon pass) he looks a little lost and a bit burdened by what he probably perceives as a step up. Easy misplaced passes, caught in possesion and looking a bit flat footed.

The main difference between us and Swansea is he was a guaranteed starter week in week out for them. Thats not gonna happen at Spurs (yet) and some players if unsure of their role and/or selection can have a real effect on their game. (basically they worry too much!)

Yeah, hopefully he just needs to get a goal under his belt and we'll see Siggy at his best. He must be aware that he has big boots to fill in VdV plus has Dempsey waiting on the bench to take his place in the team if he fails to perform.

If he had looked up he would have seen that the entire left side of the goal was open, as both defenders and the goalie were concentrating on blocking Defoe. Like you say, it wasn't the easiest chance but I can't help but think that VdV would've just slotted that into the empty half of the goal...

Defoe should have slotted him through first time tbh, it was the delay that broke things down. If Gylfi puts a foot on it, he gets chased down, so he hits first time and it gets blocked. No shocker there. Good movement from Gylfi to support Defoe and excellent work from Defoe to create the chance. On another day, it would have been a goal.

I think you're reading too much into it at the moment. It was all small percentages for him on Sunday, some very clever ideas that didn't quite make it. Give him another month and I think he'll start creating a lot of opportunities for other players. It is certainly the type of football we have been missing against negative teams. With that and Dembele running from deep, I see a lot of opportunity, and that is without considering how Dempsey and Ade will perform.

One thing is for sure though, as a group our midfielders all need to up their goal contribution to cover the goals we've lost from VdV.

He's never going to be a VdV type player. But he is very clever off the ball and decent enough with it.

if you watch defoe's goal and siggy's miss, it was a question of getting the ball through two moving players in close proximity.
and it could have been easily defoe's miss and siggy's goal instead.

need some stats to back this up, but I believe siggy was the hardest working player whilst he was on.

Back