• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

web-spurs-2-getty.jpg

he's more intelligent than most that we have and has a great first touch.

would like to see holtby + siggy + eriksen + lamela + soldado upfront for us one day

Attachments

• web-spurs-2-getty.jpg
    web-spurs-2-getty.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 11
The last 10 posts seem fair... until I remember the Official Match Thread where lots of people were slating him and bemoaning how often he was ****ing things up

That goal really saved his bacon last night

Did he cross it for the Paulinho header that was brilliantly saved? I think he did and I remember another excellent ball inside the fullback for Walker. He made telling contributions which is all you can ask for.

My concern in playing him at CM is that defensively he is not that great. Yes he runs around a lot but I've seen him let runners that he is responsible for go untracked too frequently. As an AM you get away with that somewhat but as a CM you need far more discipline in terms of positioning and tracking runs. I'm not sure he is ready for that position yet in our team but he could mature into it.

Did he cross it for the Paulinho header that was brilliantly saved? I think he did and I remember another excellent ball inside the fullback for Walker. He made telling contributions which is all you can ask for.

My concern in playing him at CM is that defensively he is not that great. Yes he runs around a lot but I've seen him let runners that he is responsible for go untracked too frequently. As an AM you get away with that somewhat but as a CM you need far more discipline in terms of positioning and tracking runs. I'm not sure he is ready for that position yet in our team but he could mature into it.

Yup, great ball to Paulinho. Pretty sure he started celebrating before the ball even reached Stekelenberg. The through-ball to Lennon was great and it reminded me of the promising play from earlier in the season when we were playing with Holtby or Eriksen.

With his pressing, he definitely finds himself in bad positions if we don't get the ball back, but IMO that's more a team aspect that needs to be worked on. Fulham were pressing fairly well, especially in the first half. We still have more possession, but no penetration. He just needs to have a chat with Sandro who can teach him how to be a mini-beast.

He was good last night. I've said this many times, but we really need to consider 4-3-3. With Sandro shielding the back 4 and Holtby and Paulinho attacking for instance. Having one guy playing behind the striker doesn't seem to be clicking for us.

He was good last night. I've said this many times, but we really need to consider 4-3-3. With Sandro shielding the back 4 and Holtby and Paulinho attacking for instance. Having one guy playing behind the striker doesn't seem to be clicking for us.

Agreed. Eriksen or Lamela might some day be able to make that #10 role their own but I don't think that Holtby quite has the guile and is better suited to a deeper Modric type role in cental midfield.

With Sandro / Capoue shielding the defence and Paulinho / Dembele making those surging runs into the oppositions box, I think that Holtby (and Carroll some day) would complement those more beastly midfielders with his high tempo one touch passing to convert possession into more clearcut chances.

Agreed I see no reason we can't play like that especially against "weaker opposition" Paulinho, Dembele, Sandro and Capoue all are in one way or another holding/defensive midfielders. We have to play with either Holtby or Eriksen imo. Also, when we play bottom half sides at home that sit back I see no reason we can't play both of them with Sandro behind.

I think we've played like that loads of times. Against Emirates Marketing Project when we lost 6-0, for example.

Just watched today's game.
Busy little fella, isn't he?

He is, I think he's starting to adjust to the league a bit. Starting to show some of the things he's been doing in the EL in terms of creativity and still working hard.

Great to see him being a threat from range too, was one of my objections to him playing the number 10 role earlier on as his shooting didn't seem up to scratch. His goal against Fulham was great and he put some real good efforts in against Sunderland too.

His work rate is excellent and can definitely pick a pass but he has to cut out the annoying habit he has of dropping super deep to look for the ball. I like him though and he's a good option to have but he can annoy me during a game when i see him in the CM or DM position looking for the ball which makes the striker totally redundant.

I think he'll be better in the CM position as one of a midfield 3.

His work rate is excellent and can definitely pick a pass but he has to cut out the annoying habit he has of dropping super deep to look for the ball. I like him though and he's a good option to have but he can annoy me during a game when i see him in the CM or DM position looking for the ball which makes the striker totally redundant.

I think he'll be better in the CM position as one of a midfield 3.

id rather him play deeper, with another player behind the forward, for those reasons

Such a shame Defoe didn't score that because if he did, that pass would have been raved about for the rest of the week. He pretty much cuts apart 10 Sunderland players with one pass. It's fantastic.

what impresses me is his energy and desire...especially yesterday....certainly a player who is suited to a pressing system.....unfortunately last night he seemed to be pressing on his own at times....obviously when one goes the others must follow...but I can understand we were holding on at the time.

Such a shame Defoe didn't score that because if he did, that pass would have been raved about for the rest of the week. He pretty much cuts apart 10 Sunderland players with one pass. It's fantastic.

little bit annoyed with defoe's comments on goals on sunday...basically said he thought he was offside.......surely a player of his expericence/age should bury the chance and then worry about offside after??

agreed cracking pass......holtby is starting to blossom and it may take some of our similar imports the same amount of time....whats it been 10-11 months?

Back