• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

imo Lewis should stick to providing entertainment on Spurs TV

on the pitch he is lost

I have no idea what he was like at Schalke, but he's not the right kind of player for that position behind the striker. There's just no creativity or flair, just lots of running about.

I have no idea what he was like at Schalke, but he's not the right kind of player for that position behind the striker. There's just no creativity or flair, just lots of running about.

He played a lot of position but for me he is the perfect replacement for paulinho playing the box to box role (if we play with the middle 2)

He doesn't stay up top enough to be a number 10 and will not score enough goals but he defenutely has a role to play

Bizarre thing is that there's only one person on the planet who fails to realise this

He's an industrious little work horse who isn't exceptionally good at anything but is decent at everything

Only role he might be suited to is that kind of modric-esque keep the ball moving one.

From what I've seen of both of them, Tom Carroll looks a more promising player to me

Freudy mark II but without Freundy's, err, Freudnyness…feel a bit sorry for him as he never seems to get to play where he wants?

Freudy mark II but without Freundy's, err, Freudnyness…feel a bit sorry for him as he never seems to get to play where he wants?

Has lost some of his earlier Freundiness for me. Used to charge around snapping at heels and closing down like a man possessed. Not now though. His energy is well down.

Also, he seems to link best with Defoe while Soldado is better with Sig. However, AVB doesn't seem to play Holtby with Defoe in the EPL.

Finally, not sure of his best position. Don't think AVB is either. Probably best used as back up for now.

I think Holtby is one of the best examples of a player being coached out of what he is good at by AVB.

At Schalke he didn't exactly stand out but you could sense he had good technique and could see a pass. Here, he seems programmed to just run around, put opposition under pressure and, once he gets the ball, just give it short to the nearest teammate.

He could be a decent squad player for us but relying on him to service our £26m striker is a worrying state to be in.

I think Holtby is one of the best examples of a player being coached out of what he is good at by AVB.

At Schalke he didn't exactly stand out but you could sense he had good technique and could see a pass. Here, he seems programmed to just run around, put opposition under pressure and, once he gets the ball, just give it short to the nearest teammate.

He could be a decent squad player for us but relying on him to service our £26m striker is a worrying state to be in.

This is a very fair comment.

ibiop8IYJ5AvNR.gif

He hit one in the Europa (I forget against whom) from a similar position as this one.

Thanks Parker!

Sweet strike from Holtby that and what a time to hit it...

Thought it was good to see AVB moving him to a slightly deeper role too when we needed a goal. He offers something in that role that our other central midfielders aren't giving us at the moment.

Really like Lewis' attitude, epitomised by the way he sprinted past us in the Putney Stand on his way to the tunnel at the end of first half when AVB presumably told him to get ready to come on. He might not quite be in the same class as Modric but he gave the passing some much needed forward impetus and if it weren't for that defensive clanger to hand Fulham the lead we probably could've won quite comfortably.

Got to love this guy. Always giving a 100%, always looking to make runs. If only we had a team with the same attitude.

This is what we desperately needed: players in other positions than the striker contributing goals. If opposition defenses need to start worrying about our midfielders scoring goals like that, MAYBE it'll give us more opportunities to feed our striker.

I thought even before the goal he was very good, always looking for the ball and him and Eriksen the only 2 players we have capable of making those decisive lock opening through balls. He played a brilliant one two with Lennon to put him in on goal.

I think he should be playing the Modric role sitting a little deeper like he did at Schalke and spraying passes. I think that is where Dembele is right now and for me Holtby offers much more in terms of end product and getting forward.

People dismiss Holtby as just a terrier, but he's more than that.

I also think when you have Holtby in the side, we seem to have a little more urgency to our play.

Back