• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

It's taken the better part of a season for him to find his feet. If we could afford our other new signings the same patience, even with the disparity in transfer fees...

Did he cross it for the Paulinho header that was brilliantly saved? I think he did and I remember another excellent ball inside the fullback for Walker. He made telling contributions which is all you can ask for.

My concern in playing him at CM is that defensively he is not that great. Yes he runs around a lot but I've seen him let runners that he is responsible for go untracked too frequently. As an AM you get away with that somewhat but as a CM you need far more discipline in terms of positioning and tracking runs. I'm not sure he is ready for that position yet in our team but he could mature into it.

Absolutely correct. See the Ramires goal at the Bridge last season for a classic example. Holtby just stops following him on the touchline, knew it was going to be a goal from that moment.

Still like the kid though.

Addicted to Spurs@AddictedtoSpurs
@LewisHoltby went round thanking the fans after the game.

BbkCtIqIUAA70-L.jpg:large

ITK today saying he could be off on loan back to Germany :eek:
Although it looks like it's written by a 10 year old...

Who: BEN
When: 9th January
Where: FTL

Sherwood wants holtby to go back on loan to Germany to create spaces for lamela more looks like will happen very soon

*Also posted in the ITK thread

We need to be keeping Holtby, he is one of the only players who really gives a ****. If he leaves i will be very disappointed.

We need to be keeping Holtby, he is one of the only players who really gives a ****. If he leaves i will be very disappointed.

He does give a ****, and it's great to see. But I can't make my mind up if he's actually any good or not. Steffen Fruend gave a ****, and although he's a legend, in the grand scheme of things, he was a bit ****.

Holtby seems to me (so far) like a little scuttle about runner who's not particularly bad at anything, nor is he particularly good at anything. Admittedly there have been some flashes of brilliance, a through ball to Defoe (I think?) in Europe and his goal the other week, so maybe there is a player in there, but he needs to start showing it consistently.

Jury is still out for me.

Holtby is a far superior player to Siggy, Carroll or Bentalab, and will probably eclipse Capoue and Dembele in time.

I'd just like to see him start in a proper 3 man CM in a 4-3-3.

He does give a ****, and it's great to see. But I can't make my mind up if he's actually any good or not. Steffen Fruend gave a ****, and although he's a legend, in the grand scheme of things, he was a bit ****.

Holtby seems to me (so far) like a little scuttle about runner who's not particularly bad at anything, nor is he particularly good at anything. Admittedly there have been some flashes of brilliance, a through ball to Defoe (I think?) in Europe and his goal the other week, so maybe there is a player in there, but he needs to start showing it consistently.

Jury is still out for me.

He needs to be a bit more discipline with his positioning and tracking of runners but there is a good player in there. He is not ready to play as a CM yet IMO but can be very effective further up the pitch. And let's not forget he is young and only starting his Spurs career. Lets not not write-off all our young players yet. Keep him, coach him, grow him into a better player.

Holtby is a far superior player to Siggy, Carroll or Bentalab, and will probably eclipse Capoue and Dembele in time.

I'd just like to see him start in a proper 3 man CM in a 4-3-3.

Probably agree with Siggy. Don't see how you can say having seen start a single game for us which was a NL derby. Ability wise for a ball playing midfielder, Carroll looks a much better player than Holtby IMO. Better passing range, moves the ball more quickly. Holtby's shooting probably better though. Holtby is more experienced because he broke through in Germany and was playing 1st team football. That's about it for me (from what I've seen so far).

Totally different sort of player to Capoue and Dembele so they shouldn't even be compared anyway.

What role would you see him playing in of the 3 man midfield?

He needs to be a bit more discipline with his positioning and tracking of runners but there is a good player in there. He is not ready to play as a CM yet IMO but can be very effective further up the pitch. And let's not forget he is young and only starting his Spurs career. Lets not not write-off all our young players yet. Keep him, coach him, grow him into a better player.

I'm certainly not writing him off. Just saying I've only seen glimpses that say to me 'there's a player in there' and they've been few and far between whether he's been playing in CM or further forward. Think he's his own worst enemy at times and chases the ball too much.

I'm certainly not writing him off. Just saying I've only seen glimpses that say to me 'there's a player in there' and they've been few and far between whether he's been playing in CM or further forward. Think he's his own worst enemy at times and chases the ball too much.

Apologies I didnt mean to say you were writing him off, and you are right about chasing the ball too much. He expends energy where he should be passing a player off. I guess he is just trying to impress with his limited minutes on the pitch.

Also I have noticed he lets runners go untracked on occasion which he'll need to eradicate if he wants to develop into a proper CM. Actually to be honest I don't think his strengths as a player match a CM role from what I have seen. He has good vision and a good shot, some good first time passing over short distances and one of the few players we have that moves after a pass. Number 10 role seems to suit him IMO. I watched a few Schalke matches after we were linked to him and thought he was excellent. Sort of a VDV type.

Last edited:
it was avb who made him the chaser.
he didn't used to play like that before he came.
certainly something that can be easily trained out - he has a pretty good first touch and great at one touch football...

A loan deal makes sense to me.

If we plan to continue playing 4-4-2 his opportunities will be very limited, seems that Bentaleb is preferred to him in central midfield and that makes him way down the pecking order for one of those two spots. Could see him play up front perhaps, but again he's way down the pecking order.

Wide left I don't think he'd do great and he's behind Eriksen, Chadli and Townsend at least. Wide right might be better for him, but again he's being Lennon and probably Lamela and Townsend.

He needs games and if he can get that on loan it would be better for everyone. I think the same is true for Sigurdsson.

A loan move to a premiership club would be good for him.

I'd like to see him at a club like Southampton/Swansea if that were to happen. I think he could get the opportunity to shine alongside players that are willing to pass and move, keeping the ball on the ground.

I'd like to see him at a club like Southampton/Swansea if that were to happen. I think he could get the opportunity to shine alongside players that are willing to pass and move, keeping the ball on the ground.

The only problem with that is that those clubs already have very good players fitting that system. Would they be willing to drop a player they have there permanently to give game time to Holtby? Perhaps if he does really well, but I think he would struggle to get games there too actually.

Fulham, Cardiff, Sunderland, possibly Hull if they sign Livermore permanently, West Brom perhaps. Some potentially good options at least.

As I said in another thread, any change or manager creates winners and losers given the new man might employ different tactics and a different formation. When TS came in, I've thought that the losers would be Siggy and Holtby as they were more suited to AVB's 4-2-3-1 and his tactics. I cant see either getting much game time in the league, though could play in the Europa if TS plays our first choice in teh league and second string in the EL. Even then I wouldnt say they're nailed on to get much game time given the competition in their positions

Back