• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Re: *Official* Holtby

I am surprised the English media are not making more of the fact that Holtby is half-English and could have been playing for England. Maybe the fact he has not played for any big team before joining us means he is not getting much attention so far.

I am surprised the English media are not making more of the fact that Holtby is half-English and could have been playing for England. Maybe the fact he has not played for any big team before joining us means he is not getting much attention so far.

one of those football bloggers will soon do after your post!

So finishing 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Bundesliga in three of the last four seasons, reaching the CL semi-finals in 2011 and averaging over 60,000 does not constitute a big club?

Three assists from Holtby. Someone find a gif of that first chip to Defoe!

iIc9eoRnskwVz.gif

Holtby and Defoe seem to have developed a good understanding recently. Very happy to see Holtby enjoying his football here, was always a matter of having time to settle in. Great signing, alongside Lamela Eriksen Chiriches, seems like we are prioritizing bringing top young talent to the team rather than odd splurges on never top class aging playersto plug a gap ie Saha/Nelson

Uh ... Schalke is very much a "big team"

The English media are myopic, they'll only consider the Sky Four + Barca/Real big clubs. I'd love to see Schalke swat aside Chelsea in the CL this season.

Uh ... Schalke is very much a "big team"

I mean big clubs as in winning major honours regularly like Bayern or Borussia. I think traditionaly can't consider Schalke as a big team as they only started to make name from the 2000s. They are more like a Cup team as they have never won the German league title but have won 8 German Cups. You know the media would have paid more attention to Holtby if he had played for a more successful team like Bayern.

I mean big clubs as in winning major honours regularly like Bayern or Borussia. I think traditionaly can't consider Schalke as a big team as they only started to make name from the 2000s. They are more like a Cup team as they have never won the German league title but have won 8 German Cups. You know the media would have paid more attention to Holtby if he had played for a more successful team like Bayern.

Didn't the British press more or less ignore Hargreaves too, despite him actually being eligible to play for England and him being a fairly regular starter for Bayern? Until he got regular starts for England that is and went from being one of the more underrated players to one of the more overrated players around in a couple of weeks...

I think people objected to you describing Schalke as "not a big team" as it's exactly the same view as you criticize the press for. They are a big team. Bayern is bigger than that again and probably amongst the biggest 4-5 teams in Europe.

i think we need to find a way of getting Holtby on the pitch more. he has everything. if we could manage to get eriksen, lamela and holtby on the pitch im sure the chances would begin flowing for soldado.

the best thing about holtby is is that he isnt a ***** either and can mix it up, so you dont lose anything in the defensive third either. im worried that he'll constantly be on the bench and i think he has the game to be an absolute key performer for us.

playing narrow would be the only way I imagine.

..................Soldado
.....Eriksen..Holtby..Lamela
...........Sandro...Paulinho
Rose.................................Walker
........Vertonghen..Kaboul
.......................Lloris

not exactly "outwide" but just overcrowding and dominating midfield with Rose and Walker providing our width.

They've won the Bundesliga 7 times but yes they are not a massive club like Dortmund or Bayern.

playing narrow would be the only way I imagine.

..................Soldado
.....Eriksen..Holtby..Lamela
...........Sandro...Paulinho
Rose.................................Walker
........Vertonghen..Kaboul
.......................Lloris

not exactly "outwide" but just overcrowding and dominating midfield with Rose and Walker providing our width.

This is the team we should play IMO

Width via full backs and possession controlled via the middle with our best players actually playing (although you can pick any tow from 4 for the double pivot role)

Midfielder Lewis Holtby insists Tottenham are not getting carried away by talk of a title challenge.

Tottenham are second only to Arsenal in the Barclays Premier League after collecting 13 points from their opening six matches.

Chelsea, who began the season as favourites for the league, looked very much the inferior team during a one-sided first half at White Hart Lane on Saturday, but Tottenham failed to take their chances and ended up settling for a 1-1 draw following John Terry's equaliser.

Still, the early signs of the post-Gareth Bale era are encouraging for the north London club as the likes of Roberto Soldado, Christian Eriksen and Paulinho have adapted well to their new surroundings.

Such performances have led to suggestions that Spurs have a squad capable of winning their first league championship since 1961, but Holtby insists Tottenham's sights are firmly set on a top-four finish.

'Everyone can dream but our main aim is to get Champions League football,' the Tottenham midfielder said.

'I think we've got the quality and the ability in the whole squad to do that, I'm very confident.

'It's a long season and everyone has to be at the top level to reach that.'

Eriksen, Andros Townsend and Paulinho all impressed during a fast-paced first half in north London, but it was the introduction of the Tottenham target that got away - Juan Mata - that put Chelsea back in the game.

Tottenham, encouraged by Mata's surprising lack of first-team action this season, made an enquiry for the Spaniard in the last few days of the transfer window, only to be told that he was not for sale.

The fact that another Spurs target Willian was not even on the Blues' bench shows how much of a star-studded squad Jose Mourinho has available to him.

Andre Villas-Boas was looking to get one over on his old mentor, but Holtby still thinks his manager can be proud of his team's efforts.

'This was a big test, absolutely, and I think we're in a good way and playing a wonderful season,' the German said.

'I think the manager was proud of us and how we committed to the game and how we fight in our game week in and week out. We've had a lot of games now in the last couple of weeks so everyone's just done a fantastic job.

'We have to keep on progressing. It's very early in the season, we have to keep working hard. We've got a couple of games now where we have to get some points and stick up top and defend our place up in the top four.'

Holtby endured a difficult start to his Spurs career after his move from Schalke in January, but he soon improved and by the end of last season he had started showing glimpses of real quality in his favoured number 10 role.

Townsend's return from QPR, and the signing of no fewer than five midfielders to the Spurs squad mean Holtby's chances of first-team football took a hit, but the 23-year-old is loving life at White Hart Lane.

'I didn't do the best that I can do last season, but I've progressed and now I think I'm getting more involved,' said Holtby, who set up three of Tottenham's Capital One Cup goals against Aston Villa in midweek.

'I feel very comfortable and very proud to be here at this club, and I just try to do the things that I do best.

'Roberto Soldado is a fantastic striker. I hope one day I can play behind him and I'm learning Jermain Defoe's runs too.

'It's easy for a number 10 or a central midfielder to put these players in because they make some wonderful movements, and I'm just happy to be here.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2437293/Lewis-Holtby-plays-Tottenham-Hotspur-title-chances-holding-Chelsea-draw.html

[video=youtube;0bm9lKmA-TM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0bm9lKmA-TM[/video]

Back