• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Vertonghen plays best at CB, so i want him there. However Naughton looked good against reading at LB, and deserved a chance there

Lets be happy that some real viable options have been realised thanks to Bennys injury. If benny was playing we would all be worrying whether we had cover there.

Verts has been great at LB, but i'm sure most of us want to see him as a long term CH and has shown so far that he has half a chance of filling ledleys boots. I also love the way he seemed dead set on joining us and no-one else.

Naughtons appearences have been positive and gives us cover on both sides.

When benny is fit again he should easily still be first choice at LB, but regardless of how laid back he is, he must realise that there is now competition for his place and imo may just sharpen him up again.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/10/14/chelsea-eyeing-up-shock-10m-move-for-tottenham-star/

Tottenham left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto has emerged as a shock January transfer target for Chelsea.

The Blues have reportedly contacted their London rivals about the Cameroonian’s availability and are willing to pay around £10m to bring Assou-Ekotto to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea’s current left-back Ashley Cole, 31, has been told he will not be offered more than a one-year deal and the England star will seek an exit when the transfer window reopens, with mega-rich PSG interested.

The Blues are now considering Cole’s replacement and Assou-Ekotto tops a list that also includes Everton’s Leighton Baines.

Laid back Assou-Ekotto has made headlines during his six-year stay in England after admitting that he plays football for the money rather than out of love of the game.

But the 28-year-old has also impressed on the field, forming a formidable partnership with Gareth Bale down Spurs left flank and looking equally comfortable defending and going forward.

Spurs are understood to be keen to hold onto the Cameroon international but Assou-Ekotto has just 20 months remaining on his current deal at White Hart Lane and is aware that he can considerably increase his current wage of £40,000 per week in West London.

Belgian Jan Vertonghen has formed admirably at left-back in Assou-Ekotto recent absence with a knee injury and it is understood that Tottenham will consider accepting a bid from Chelsea if the former Lens man does not sign a new contract before the new year.

I really like Ekotto but for £10,000,000 I could never see Levy saying no to it. Saying that though, it's "caughtoffside" so take it with a pinch of salt

I like BAE but I don't "really" like him. If the options were £9m for him and Verts LB or £9m for Dawson and BAE LB I would take the former.
I currently like the heading ability in our defence. I am not bricking myself on every corner. Well, not as much as last season.

£5m and snap their hand off. £10m and suck them off!! He's 'ok' nothing more. Vertonghen at left back with Naughton understudy is quality.

£5m and snap their hand off. £10m and suck them off!! He's 'ok' nothing more. Vertonghen at left back with Naughton understudy is quality.

I'd rather have Vertonghen at centre back, I think that it is a more important position and it is easier to cover with a lesser player at full back than it is in the middle.

It might be quality, but first it would leave us short at lb yet again, with little cover (naughton is a RB more than a LB), second it would leave us short at cb and third vertonghen is a CB first and foremost.

Round pegs round holes please.

Oh and what about gthe timing of ghe release of this rumour of Chelski's suposed 'interest'...:-"

Hilarious.

If they are seriously looking to replace cole they would go with someone far younger. Their most recent attempt at the 'project' has not really included buying many as experienced as bae, because they already have enough exp at chelsea.

Oh and what about gthe timing of ghe release of this rumour of Chelski's suposed 'interest'...:-"

Benny is not going to be playing, so it doesn't really matter. I would think it most likely that the papers are just stringing out the Ashley Cole.

Kaboul, Gallas and Caulker and Dawson more than capable too. Yeah I reckon I'm fine with Vertonghen at left back thank you!!

Vertonghen Kaboul Caulker Walker

Kaboul, Gallas and Caulker and Dawson more than capable too. Yeah I reckon I'm fine with Vertonghen at left back thank you!!

Dawson is not that capable. In fact i'd propose moving him out before we get rid of our only dedicated left back.

Caulker has done well on the whole so far but I would prefer to have him as back up rather than first choice this season. I think that playing and then having a break will be better for his long term development.

Vertonghen has the potential to be the best centre back at the club, he will have more influence on the game in that position and it is his preferred position. I am fine with him playing the odd game at LB when we are short but I'd rather have him in the middle when we have other options available.

I agree Kaboul, Gallas and Caulker occasionally is the best pairing at centre back, IMO, if you play Vertonghen LB.

This site man. All this years of loyalty and performing at a very high level yet people get caught up with the new shiny toy (vertonghen) and now claim we're in a position to sell BAE.

Back