• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

See city's last minute penalty. 93rd minute city aimlessly punt a ball to our left back position. It's going out of play for a throw in where we can waste time and grab a point. BAE hoofs it straight back to the centre circle and to a city player. Great comfort on the all there.

An isolated incident maybe but he's like a headless chicken and not one offs either. As I say he's decent. No more.

And for the record, you or not, there's kids that quote his twitters like he's some kind of GHod -the same people who overate him. Coincidence? Think not.

See city's last minute penalty. 93rd minute city aimlessly punt a ball to our left back position. It's going out of play for a throw in where we can waste time and grab a point. BAE hoofs it straight back to the centre circle and to a city player. Great comfort on the all there.

An isolated incident maybe but he's like a headless chicken and not one offs either. As I say he's decent. No more.

And for the record, you or not, there's kids that quote his twitters like he's some kind of GHod -the same people who overate him. Coincidence? Think not.

Quoting him saying something on twitter = thinking he is a GHod..

I missed the leap of faith there somewhere i guess..

I know it's almost midnight but use your brain jeez!! Things like quoting what he has tweeted then writing something like 'wow benny is so cool I love benny'. Then the same people will write in the match thread, when were all watching the game and are able to point out he's made a mistake, 'oh benny was so good today'!!

Just saying the new agers seem to let twitter rule the rational side of their brain.

Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Lennon, Sandro, Livermore, Hudd, VDV, Defoe and Ade all have twitter too so I guess than can go on the overrated pile then. Anyone else?

Speaking of Twitter, someone apparently tweeted him after that City game about the same thing. He replied:

"Its better to lose the ball away from our goal and defend than a through-in in our side to get pressed ! I know my job !"

Your original post with your theory that those that rate Ekotto probably do so because of his cool tweets and personality seems condescending. Why do you have to assume that the people that disagree with you must have some irrational basis for their belief? Especially when we're talking about rating a footballer, footballing being a real game of opinions.

I could just as easily make up a theory that those that don't rate Ekotto are blinkered by his comments early in his Spurs career about only playing for the money. So you guys let your feelings about him influence your opinions. Just as much of a useful theory as yours, not very useful at all that is.

Speaking for myself I rated Ekotto well before he started tweeting and I think there were quite a few on this board who did as well.

Yeah it's my theory like I said. Don't care what he tweeted he should've let the ball roll out for OUR throw in. Am I wrong?

Yeah it's my theory like I said. Don't care what he tweeted he should've let the ball roll out for OUR throw in. Am I wrong?

You understand why it comes off as condescending then? You just don't care?

In a situation like that it's not necessarily better to have a throw in deep in our own half. They would certainly try to box us in and might win the ball higher up the pitch from that.

If it is a mistake it's a very small one, he made a decision to clear it rather than get boxed in with a throw. At the end of a tough game I don't understand why you would be so tough on that decision (still).

If you think he just panicked and cleared it without thinking then we have nothing left to talk about. Cause some time soonish someone will criticize Ekotto for taking too many chances on the ball with his twists and turns trying to keep possession. Arguing against both of those criticisms just gets very old very quickly.

Ekotto didn't know King would be stupid and commit a foul in the box. It's Ekotto's job to defend and he defended. He got the ball away, it's not his fault or error that cost us the point. Singling him out would be idiotic.

I don't have an agenda for either the pro or anti side, but one way to provide a bit of clarity in this matter may be to list LB's in the Prem that have performed consistently better than Benny over the last couple of seasons.

May even be worth making a list of realistic targets who would improve us in the area.

I don't have an agenda for either the pro or anti side, but one way to provide a bit of clarity in this matter may be to list LB's in the Prem that have performed consistently better than Benny over the last couple of seasons.

May even be worth making a list of realistic targets who would improve us in the area.

We've done this many times before - the players are there although we have much bigger priorities to sort out in the squad before we look at left back. I'd imagine that position would be on the agenda in January or next summer

We've done this many times before - the players are there although we have much bigger priorities to sort out in the squad before we look at left back. I'd imagine that position would be on the agenda in January or next summer

Fair enough. What about the other question? Or has that been done to death too?

Ekotto didn't know King would be stupid and commit a foul in the box. It's Ekotto's job to defend and he defended. He got the ball away, it's not his fault or error that cost us the point. Singling him out would be idiotic.

I blame Defoe's mum. If she'd made him eat his vegetables as a kid, he'd be taller and would have scored. We wouldn't be discussing BAE's choice.

I don't know what the best decision is in those situations. What we can't do is judge on one instance where it goes wrong. If the coaches have really told the players that its better to clear the ball than risk a pressed throw-in in our half, then I'd have no reason to question what they say. It could be the best option 90% of the time.

In this instance, perhaps the clearance wasn't the best, not deep enough or too close to the City player, but hardly a major mistake. The fact that City quickly got the ball up field and a clumsy tackle gave a way a penalty doesn't prove it was the wrong decision. As you say, BAE's didn't make the critical error. And King making one bad error doesn't make him a bad player. You can also blame the referee for the fact that Balotelli was still there to get fouled.

Sorry, wasn't really a question! I think what I'm trying to get at is irrespective of what options there are out there, I am of the opinion that he is one of the best left-backs in the country.

Would just be interested to know who posters think are better/more consistent.

Sorry, wasn't really a question! I think what I'm trying to get at is irrespective of what options there are out there, I am of the opinion that he is one of the best left-backs in the country.

Would just be interested to know who posters think are better/more consistent.

Cole and Evra are not worth debating over although the latter had a patchy season, imv - getting on a bit perhaps. The obvious choice for me would be Baines (although he appears to have sailed past if the Utd rumours are true - good enough for Manchester Utd - not good enough for the mighty Spurs according to some though.). Enrique is another consistent performer although I'm not entirely convinced of his passing versatility. Kolarov was another player allegedly looking for more regular game time. These are just a few 'local' names.

However - when the time comes through (and it sure will) - I hope we look beyond the Prem as that choice appears considerably limited and often over-priced

... The obvious choice for me would be Baines (although he appears to have sailed past if the Utd rumours are true - good enough for Manchester Utd - not good enough for the mighty Spurs according to some though.).

But more attainable than BAE (if United wanted him) so perhaps that's why they'd opt for him over BAE (playing Devil's Advocate as I've not seen Baines as often as I have BAE). Also maybe BAE would look even better in a United shirt than a Spurs shirt?

I meant in that we'd be less liklier to sell than Everton.

I always find it difficult to compare footballers of other clubs as Spurs are pretty much the only team I bother watching so no idea really about Baines. For all his errors, I love BAE - great to have at the club IMO

BAE is 29 before this season ends and if a good offer came in, I think Levy (out of all chairmen) would definitely consider it. As long as the valuation is met - look at sour Kranjcar's comments on having to wait for the right offer.

But besides that - I was merely responding to the earlier post calling for list of options.

Back