• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Possibly but there are ways of going about it. You don’t have to emasculate players because they aren’t performing how you would like.

Possibly but maybe Shaw was acting like a rooster behind the scenes and was simply getting taken down a peg. His performances under Jose were the highlight of his career at Utd. He deserves some flak for being 10 stone overweight.

I don’t think he’s a taco, he’s a bloody intelligent guy and a lot of what he says is to deflect from his players in the same way Fergie did and Poch does albeit in a different style. Despite his sometimes inflammatory words he is a really popular guy on the manager circuit, and I don’t just mean well respected but actually massively liked guy - many managers have spoken about how the Mourinho in the press is very different to the guy they know. And I imagine that is the same with his players, inevitably there are going to be fall outs but he seems to get that line between friend and respect with the players correct. Something that maybe is part of the problem with Poch, the balance leaning towards being more friends - especially when coming to making tough decisions.....

I think he is mate. Fergie was miles from him. I have to say, I agree re:poch and friends v tough decisions - I think he has been shell-shocked at how poor some of them have been week after week - but I back him to learn very fast.

A point that seems to have been overlooked, in the case of Jose Mourhino is wages. He was reportedly on 18 million a year at Utd. Our current manager is paid less than half of that sum.
I somehow can't see Daniel Levy forking over 18 million a year unless it was largely incentive based.

I certainly won’t deny or argue against his record winning trophies. I just think he’s set in his ways and hasn’t accepted the game has moved on. For example, five years ago it would be unthinkable to be so gung ho in the champions league, especially away games. 0-0 at home in a knockout game was considered a good result and in a way it kind of still is but football in general is far more attack minded, look the last World Cup and the CL in the last 2-3 years. Jose essentially plays chicken and aims for a 1-0.

Look at how he treated Luke Shaw. I’m still not sure what he was trying to achieve.

Jose's teams score goals. And they rarely let them in.

You are right, we know how he will play. 433/4231/4321, mid block. Highly reactive to win the ball. Very well structured defensively. Attacking players allowed a bit more freedom. Width from fullbacks.

None of which is revolutionary, but its also proven to work. And isnt a million mile from what Poch has been doing with us either.

He will be a pragmatist, which is the bit Id struggle with more. Going into a game and playing for a 0-0 never has sat well with me, but Mourinho would do it without hesitation. To his credit, thats how he wins the CL with Porto or Inter, so its not like you can complain about the result. BUT that reactive nature, play to beat the opposition rather than play your own game (in big games, to be fair) - that would take some getting used to.

The Shaw thing I thought was appalling. I dont ever like to see a manager hammer players like that. As noted up thread though - he is the only manager in 5 (or 6?) years to get a tune out of him....

Jose's teams score goals. And they rarely let them in.

You are right, we know how he will play. 433/4231/4321, mid block. Highly reactive to win the ball. Very well structured defensively. Attacking players allowed a bit more freedom. Width from fullbacks.

None of which is revolutionary, but its also proven to work. And isnt a million mile from what Poch has been doing with us either.

He will be a pragmatist, which is the bit Id struggle with more. Going into a game and playing for a 0-0 never has sat well with me, but Mourinho would do it without hesitation. To his credit, thats how he wins the CL with Porto or Inter, so its not like you can complain about the result. BUT that reactive nature, play to beat the opposition rather than play your own game (in big games, to be fair) - that would take some getting used to.

The Shaw thing I thought was appalling. I dont ever like to see a manager hammer players like that. As noted up thread though - he is the only manager in 5 (or 6?) years to get a tune out of him....

Can’t disagree with most of this. You can’t argue with his methods in the past that have brought him sustained periods of success. I just question whether his methods would work today. Like I said before, the game has changed. Champions League games are nowhere near as cagey as they used to be. The teams and managers who play fast, direct, progressive and attacking football are the ones who are successful. Has Mourinho really got that in his locker? Could he have orchestrated a comeback like ours against Ajax or Liverpool’s against Barca last season? Playing devil’s advocate one might argue he would set his teams up to be more compact and not so open but even the very best teams in Europe can concede 3 goals in 45 mins in the champions league such is the quality of attacking football right now in Europe.

Can’t disagree with most of this. You can’t argue with his methods in the past that have bought him sustained periods of success. I just question whether his methods would work today. Like I said before, the game has changed. Champions League games are nowhere near as cagey as they used to be. The teams and managers who play fast, direct, progressive and attacking football are the ones who are successful. Has Mourinho really got that in his locker? Could he have orchestrated a comeback like ours against Ajax or Liverpool’s against Barca last season? Playing devil’s advocate one might argue he would set his teams up to be more compact and not so open but even the very best teams in Europe can concede 3 goals in 45 mins in the champions league such is the quality of attacking football right now in Europe.

2 seasons ago his out of date methods took a brick Man Utd squad to 81 points and second (ahead of us)
3 seasons ago it won them the EUROPA league and League cup.

Is it actually fair to declare his methods as "out of date" and make statements like "would they work today"?

"Could he have orchestrated a comeback...." - would his team have been that far behind?

I think views on his teams play are exaggerated by most peoples experience of them being the big games (Im guilty of this). Where he is often decidedly compact/cagey/negative(?) because he will quite happily hunker down for a borefest to get the result.

Most games though, his team score plenty of goals (full seasons).

Porto 02-03 gf73(2) ga26(1) GD+47 - 2nd best goals scored, 1st for least goals conceeded

Porto 03-04 gf63(1) ga19(1) GD+44

Chelsea 04-05 gf72(2) ga15(1) GD+57

Chelsea 05-06 gf72(1) ga22(1) GD+50

Chelsea 06-07 gf64(2) ga24(1) GD+40

Inter 08-09 gf70(1) ga32(1) GD+38

Inter 09-10 gf75(1) ga34(1) GD+41

Madrid 10-11 gf102(1) ga33(2) GD+69 - Outscores Barca

Madrid 11-12 gf121(1) ga32(2) GD+89 - Outscores Barca

Madrid 12-13 gf103(2) ga42(3) GD+61

Chelsea 13-14 gf71(3) ga27(1) GD+44

Chelsea 14-15 gf73(2) ga32(1) GD+41

United 16-17 gf54(8) ga29(2) GD+25

United 17-18 gf68(5) ga28(2) GD+40

I dont think he is a new, up and coming, progressive sort of coach. And I fully understand the appeal of such.

However, I dont think its really fair to declare his methods out of date either.

2 seasons ago his out of date methods took a brick Man Utd squad to 81 points and second (ahead of us)

Is it actually fair to declare his methods as "out of date" and make statements like "would they work today"?

"Could he have orchestrated a comeback...." - would his team have been that far behind?

I think views on his teams play are exaggerated by most peoples experience of them being the big games (Im guilty of this). Where he is often decidedly compact/cagey/negative(?) because he will quite happily hunker down for a borefest to get the result.

Porto 02-03 gf73(2) ga26(1) GD+47 - 2nd best goals scored, 1st for least goals conceeded

I dont think he is a new, up and coming, progressive sort of coach. And I fully understand the appeal of such.

However, I dont think its really fair to declare his methods out of date either.

He shipped 5 goals against us when he was at Chelsea, that was under him wasn't it? And that was from lead if I remember right.
I wiont count the thumpings he had against barca because they could do that anyone but it did happen a few times.

He is younger than Ancellotti who I'm sure some would have loved at Spurs before Poch. Managers getting old isnt a problem. The guy's been a winner everywhere he has been, which isnt opinion it's a fact.

Brilliant post.
And "up and coming is nice". We did that and are now at the point where it needs moving to winning.
Mourinho was up and coming at two clubs and won things. And as far playing dour football in big games - there are usually two ways to win big games, protect a lead or cheat. That's how the big clubs win, like it or loath it. And game management is a huge skill.

We're past an up-and-coming punt - that needs to be clear in everyone's minds, imo. No more randos, no more Eddie Howes. No more poaching Soton coaches, or punts from other leagues. We go for the top rack of managers, or not at all.

The expectations at the club have shifted to the extent that a new manager will have no time to settle in - post Poch (especially given our truly atrocious trophy drought), the new man will have to win instantly and immediately.

The culture shift has obviated the space for an up-and-comer. It also highlights the need to spend aggressively, but whether we've learned that is an open question. :)

If Poch walks, Mou. If not Mou, then Allegri. If not Allegri, then Ancelotti. If not Ancelotti, at least someone who's won tons of things and truly transformed club histories, despite his inexperience in England - Gallardo from River Plate for example.

No more winless wonders. Whatever happens with Poch, that needs to be the criteria for our next boss, whether it's five months or five years down the line.

Hmmmmm....

I think it is only really the Europa League win that ensured Mourinho's time at Man Utd wasn't considered to be completely unacceptable. That Europa League win was achieved by finishing second in their group behind Fenerbahce) and then beating the combined might of St Ettiene, Rostov, Anderlecht and Celta Vigo to reach the final and then overcoming a very young Ajax team in the final.

That Europa campaign glossed over their terrible form in the league where they finished a distant 6th. Not only were they only 6th but they finished a massive 17 points behind us.

The following season their second place finish was decent (although it was a second place finish without every being in a title race).

In his third season. At the point Man Utd sacked him they had amassed 26 points from 17 games and were in 6th place.

PL positions of 6th, 2nd, 6th at Man Utd is pretty close to abject failure I'd say.

He finished 2nd once, 19 points behind 1st after spending a lot of money.

His teams score a lot of goals because he usually manages top teams.

I stand by what I said. Football has changed over the past 2-3 years and has become more attack minded. The champions league has become far more attacking and less cagey/defensive. Other than Simeone, the majority of the top managers in the game; Klopp, Guardiola etc play attack minded football.

Back