• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Jose is not simply a chequebook manager at all. His pattern is mostly spending a lot the first window to rebuild the squad, then just 2-3 buys a year after.

He failed so miserably at United he won more in one season than we have in 10 years.
In the next full season Utd outperformed Spurs, does that make Poch a miserable failure?

Tactically a busted flush? I think youll need to expand upon that one.

I think his issues at Utd in particular were far more about player power and a chairman working against him than him being a miserable failure and busted flush.

That said, Im under no illusions as to what an Donald Trump he can be.

I have no doubt we would see less of the academy, though its arguable Poch is hardly doing great with it right now.
And I have no doubt he will be sneering and snarling at times. I have certainly not forgotten sight of him gauging that guys eye, or the run ins on the touch line, or the snarky press conferences either.

No denial whatsoever.

I also cannot deny his record is quite simply incredible. Utd the only real low point on it, and even then he did a credible job there if you look at the brick show the club is (and has been for years)

He did fail miserably and arguably United are now in a far worse state than when he joined.
We are in not a great state but if we want to be in a worse state compared to how we are (like United are now in a worse state compared to when he joined) then yes we should hire Jose.

Our pitiful record of not winning much in the last two decades shouldn't be an excuse to hire a manager who is now past it and could set us back years. It's like saying to a junkie trying to kick a smack habit, "here why don't you take this razor and self-harm instead"

He did fail miserably and arguably United are now in a far worse state than when he joined.
We are in not a great state but if we want to be in a worse state compared to how we are (like United are now in a worse state compared to when he joined) then yes we should hire Jose.

Our pitiful record of not winning much in the last two decades shouldn't be an excuse to hire a manager who is now past it and could set us back years. It's like saying to a junkie trying to kick a smack habit, "here why don't you take this razor and self-harm instead"

Ha! Youre not a fan, I get it.

Would be nice if you actually made a point though, could be interesting.

How exactly did he fail miserably?

How is it Utd are worse off?

And where do you apportion "blame" between Jose, players like Pogba, and Woodward?

I think their situation is a bit exaggerated by having Solskjaer as manager, their squad should still really be fighting for 5/6th along with Arsenal, worst case Leicester and Everton make it a four way fight, there is not much between those 4 squads.

”past it”
he is 56!!

(Heads up) I'm currently having problems getting on to this site - If you do not get a reply, that will be the reason

Last edited:
Ha! Youre not a fan, I get it.

Would be nice if you actually made a point though, could be interesting.

How exactly did he fail miserably?

How is it Utd are worse off?

And where do you apportion "blame" between Jose, players like Pogba, and Woodward?

Well, let's see.
Bought Pogba for record fee. Bought Ibrahimovoc and Mkhitaryan at big cost. Also bought Bailly.
Initially looked like good business, but all 3 players, save for Zlatan, ending up going backwards within 18 months.
By the time he left United were languishing in 6th/7th. When he had joined they had finished on same points total as Emirates Marketing Project.
They won EL and League Cup in his first year so granted he won two trophies. Two trophies typically United look down on but now were lauded as some wowing and great achievement.
Ok EL got him and them out of jail.
But in CL Jose was woeful. I'm sure he didn't win a knockout round - in fact both Moyes and OGS both won more knockout rounds than Jose did.

For amount they spent they played woeful football, very much reliant on DDG to keep them competitive in many games. I'm sure xG will show that under Jose United should have lost far more games than they did even in the season they finished 2nd.

Shall i mention the crazy wages they lavished on Sanchez under his watch? No way Woodward does that without Jose telling him to. And all their problems of paying far too mediocre players like Rashford and Lindgaard crazy inflated wages mostly stemmed from paying Sanchez the crazy amount they did. What team spirit and togetherness they had died after that and likely will take years to recover.

Shall i also mention whether way he seldom uses players from the youth team?

United are a mess structurally and Woodward has a part to play in that he seems to blow with the wind and seems to lack much planning.
Jose on both the playing side and wage distribution side has left them in a far worse state than when he arrived. How many players improved under his coaching?

I think their situation is a bit exaggerated by having Solskjaer as manager, their squad should still really be fighting for 5/6th along with Arsenal, worst case Leicester and Everton make it a four way fight, there is not much between those 4 squads.

Check their squad now compared to when Jose joined. It's far worse now imo and Jose contributed to that

Check their squad now compared to when Jose joined. It's far worse now imo and Jose contributed to that

Just my opinion but De Gea, Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Matic, Pogba*, and Rashford while playing wide would improve our squad. At least three of them get in our strongest 11.

*As a footballer who wants to play, I wouldn’t touch him with a bargepole for a whole load of other reasons.

Just my opinion but De Gea, Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, Matic, Pogba*, and Rashford while playing wide would improve our squad. At least three of them get in our strongest 11.

*As a footballer who wants to play, I wouldn’t touch him with a bargepole for a whole load of other reasons.

But I though poch was wrong in saying that this isn't the best he hah had?
Which is it? Because tbh none of that lot are world beaters.

De Gea? Maybe at the moment given Hugo's increased mistakes and injury
Maguire? Yes. We did try for him before apparently, but note: he joined AFTER Jose left
Shaw? Before our current malaise would you REALLY have taken him based on his form over the last 2 years? I'd rather Sessegnon
Wan Bissaka? Yes, but he joined AFTER Jose left
Matic? REALLY?? He's more broken than Dier and hasn't been good for years if you listen to both Chelsea and Man Utd fans. I'd rather McTominey than him tbh
Pogba? Showpony and expensive luxury like Ozil. If we were a galactico team he'd be perfect..but we're not so...
Rashford? Vaastly overrated, i'd rather Martial. I think i'd rather Son or Moura tbh.

I said three would get in our strongest 11 that being De Gea, Maguire and Wan Bissaka, Pogba if he actually turned up and showed his Juve form would too, I would take Shaw over Rose, Matic fair enough on that I can’t say i watch anywhere near enough of them to know he is broken, Rashford I implicitly said as a wide forward playing from the left or right, of course I also didn’t mention James or Martial, that squad should be fighting for 5/6th it’s a lot stronger than the goons who if you take Aubamayeng and Lacazzette away are frankly brick.

But I though poch was wrong in saying that this isn't the best he hah had?
Which is it? Because tbh none of that lot are world beaters.

Despite what your supposed to believe there is a gap between the “big 6”, Liverpool and City are the top 2, us and Chelsea at their strongest are 3 and 4, Chelsea are going through a transition right now which could see closer to United, United are very much 5, United are ahead of Arsenal by a mile, the take Aubamayeng and Lacazzette away from the goons and they fall behind Leicester and Everton.

If you take Chelsea’s situation into account we are the 3rd best team in the league, taking a bunch of first choice players from the 5th best is hardly saying our squad is brick.

Cool, thanks

Bought Pogba for record fee. Bought Ibrahimovoc and Mkhitaryan at big cost. Also bought Bailly.
Initially looked like good business, but all 3 players, save for Zlatan, ending up going backwards within 18 months.

I cant hold the fees against him. Thats Woodwards willy waving, IMHO.
Its like blaming Poch for Levy spending £70m on NDombele. Thats not on Poch, regardless of if he really wanted the player or not.

Jose asked for a spine to the team, basically.
Wanted a highly talented defender, someone considered the best MF in the world, a fantastically talented AM* and a legendary striker (on a free!)
I would say he has a good eye. And none of those players were beyond Utds spending.

*What went wrong? Seriously. Loved him at Dortmund, just hasnt performed anywhere since.

Bailly played a lot in his first season. MOTM in the community shield and PL debut, player of the month in Aug, team of the season. Making 38 appearances in his first year in all comps.

Second year he managed only 18 games, but apparently missed 121 days to injury. Not sure he is one Mourinho let down, looks like he liked him.

Ibrahimovic was a success, a very astute buy, Im sure you agree.

Pogba, I mean, what the fudge happened there? Despite being awful was still one of their better players.
First season, 30 Pl appearances, 5 goals, 4 assists. Second season, 27 pl appearances, 4 goals and 10 assists.
So despite clearly being an utter bellend and clashing with Mourinho, it seems Mourinho still got him to perform to a reasonable degree.
As I say, I dont hold the price against him.

Mkhitaryan made his contributions, when you look into it. Including a goal in the EUROPA final. 7 goals and 10 assists in the Pl across 2 seasons. Not quite the dud I thought he was, though clearly could have done more.

How true is it to say they went backwards under Jose? And - because of Jose? I think the jury is out, its much less definitive that you might think.

By the time he left United were languishing in 6th/7th. When he had joined they had finished on same points total as Emirates Marketing Project.

According to
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/man...85/plus/0?saison_id=2017&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/man...81/plus/0?saison_id=2017&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Spend (net)
16/17 - Utd = £124m City = £161m
17/18 - Utd = £137m City = £203m
Thats a difference of £103m

And I would suggest City had a better base to start from as well when looking at the squads. Just IMO of course.

Do you really expect him to keep pace?

They won EL and League Cup in his first year so granted he won two trophies. Two trophies typically United look down on but now were lauded as some wowing and great achievement.
Ok EL got him and them out of jail.

Utd may well have looked down on it in years passed, but thats where they were (and where he found them).

For context, Spurs recent record in EUROPA
06-07 Qtr finals
07-08 Round of 16
08-09 Round of 32
11-12 Group stage
12-13 Qtr Finals
13-14 Round of 16
14-15 Round of 32
15-16 Round of 16

First time Jose was in the EUROPA since he won it with Porto, he won it. 2 for 2.
With this team:
Romero
Valencia-Smalling-Blind-Darmain
Fellaini-Herrera-Pogba
Mata-Rashford-Mkhitaryan

I mean, arent you even a little impressed?

But in CL Jose was woeful. I'm sure he didn't win a knockout round - in fact both Moyes and OGS both won more knockout rounds than Jose did.

CL, smashed their group (w5,l1) but first knockout round they went out to Seville. Not good enough, absolutely.

For amount they spent they played woeful football, very much reliant on DDG to keep them competitive in many games. I'm sure xG will show that under Jose United should have lost far more games than they did even in the season they finished 2nd.

Year they came second they had 81 points, GD+40. Scored the 5th most goals (68) and conceded the second fewest (28)
Incidentally we scored 74, conceded 36 (GD+38) and the difference between us was they won two games we drew.

Doesnt sound "woeful" to me, though I appreciate they were hardly playing champagne stuff.

I think, to be honest, Jose had his hands tied much of the time and his comments about the season tell you the achievement he feels he made:
‘My view is that first of all is difficult for me to believe we finished second when I listen, when I read, not much but sometimes I do, is difficult to believe that we finished second because you are capable of making people that finish second look like they were relegated,’ Mourinho said during today’s press conference.

‘And people who win nothing, finish below us, and you make them look like serial winners.’ ‘It is difficult for me to understand we finish second which I keep saying, that I won eight championships and three Premier Leagues but I keep feeling the second last season was one of my biggest achievements in the game.’

Shall i mention the crazy wages they lavished on Sanchez under his watch? No way Woodward does that without Jose telling him to. And all their problems of paying far too mediocre players like Rashford and Lindgaard crazy inflated wages mostly stemmed from paying Sanchez the crazy amount they did. What team spirit and togetherness they had died after that and likely will take years to recover.

Genuinely dont lay that at the managers door, thats Woodward.

It was clear over time Jose wanted one thing, Woodward another. Remember reports of Mourinho wanting a defender, and none coming in (Woodward happy to blow £80m on Maguire, Im sure because of Liverpool and VVD)? Or Mourinho wanting rid of Marital but Woodward refusing?

I think there were definite issues within the club impeding Jose from working as he would like. And, Ive no doubt, all areas of the club operating properly.

But spending? Mourinho doesnt sign the cheques. And Woodward has shown - before and since - this wasnt Jose's doing, IMO.

Shall i also mention whether way he seldom uses players from the youth team?

Absolutely, 100%, completely valid point to raise. I watched a video the other day (from Jul16, so out of date), someone mentioned this to Jose and he refuted by saying he had given 49 youth players debuts.

This is entirely true. BUT... not one of them got much of a look in afterwards, and most barely played under Mourinho after the debut or really amounted to much otherwise.

United are a mess structurally and Woodward has a part to play in that he seems to blow with the wind and seems to lack much planning.
Jose on both the playing side and wage distribution side has left them in a far worse state than when he arrived. How many players improved under his coaching?

I really think Woodward is the greater problem there, and much of what you attribute to Mourinho you do so unfairly.

Players improved? In the eye of the beholder that one, and I dont follow Utd game to game enough to tell you to be honest.

I think its fair to say Mourinho has a preference to players with more maturity/consistency.

Ed Woodward and Daniel Levy.

Gary Doherty and Ledley King.

Both of them sentences are equal to each other in the absurdity of mentioning both them names as equals.

Are there any old threads on here where people give their opinions of Mourinho when he was managing Man Utd? (perhaps in the General thread?)....

I would imagine that some wanting to bring him in might be less effusive with their praise for Jose in those flags?

Are there any old threads on here where people give their opinions of Mourinho when he was managing Man Utd? (perhaps in the General thread?)....

I would imagine that some wanting to bring him in might be less effusive with their praise for Jose in those flags?

As soon as a week ago I described him as kryptonite for our club.

Been staring on it a while and I've come round to the idea a lot more.

Mourinho is one of those, almost like he is two completely different people. One I really, genuinely, like. The other is awful.

Mourinho is one of those, almost like he is two completely different people. One I really, genuinely, like. The other is awful.

Fair play to you for fronting up on this, because i was sure there were very few on here more critical of Jose at United than you...which i why your pro-Jose stance is bewildering!

But as i say, fair play if you've changed your mind (for some reason lol)

Had a quick search and found this from guess who?!?.....

Id really love to see Mourinho take over a mid table team.

Have to work with limited players, limited budget, more tooth and nail week to week.

Its the thing thats missing from his resume. He has never built a team up, developed a side beyond its standing. Not really.

Never developed players, never been canny in the market, never had to adapt his methods to suit what he has to work with.

If he could do that, he would really prove something.

I suspect he cant, and I suspect thats why he'll never do it - but Id love to see him try.

You'd love to see him try to take over a mid table club eh?.... Welcome to Spurs Jose Mourinho!!!! ;)

Or there's this post not even a year old....

Again - and not trying to be argumentative - I disagree.

After 3 years of Mourinho sucking the joy out of football, dire football, and watching the team go backwards year on year - for him to go, that alone would make me hopeful for the furture.

Seriously, if Mourinho ever took over at Spurs my interest in the club would go on hiatus until he was gone. I dont think I could go through it.

To then have someone like Pochettino come in, known for building fudging good teams, competitive, hard to beat, exciting to watch teams - Id be so elated the rest of the season would simply be exciting for me. I honestly dont believe Id be expecting anything other than to see the improvements in the team, the new shape, and be excited by the work taking place.

EDIT: Now, if it was following Fergie - I wouldnt be arguing with you. But you need to put it into perspective, Moyes, LVG, Mourinho - after that run youd be nothing but grateful for someone like Poch!

I think our current poor period and Mourinho being out of the game for a while is altering your memory a little. It is a little how I wanted Dier back in the team recently because his absence had made me forget how rubbish he is these days.

Fair play to you for fronting up on this, because i was sure there were very few on here more critical of Jose at United than you...which i why your pro-Jose stance is bewildering!

But as i say, fair play if you've changed your mind (for some reason lol)

Ive a bit of a love hate relationship with him. As I say, there are a great deal of positive aspects to him. And of course a great deal of negative.

Im starting to think, in terms of where we are at the minute, a couple of years of Jose - a couple of pots - could be just the thing to get us over the "nearly" hump.

After that we get a proper quality guy to come in and make good...

Had a quick search and found this from guess who?!?.....

Id really love to see Mourinho take over a mid table team.

Have to work with limited players, limited budget, more tooth and nail week to week.

Its the thing thats missing from his resume. He has never built a team up, developed a side beyond its standing. Not really.

Never developed players, never been canny in the market, never had to adapt his methods to suit what he has to work with.

If he could do that, he would really prove something.

I suspect he cant, and I suspect thats why he'll never do it - but Id love to see him try.

You'd love to see him try to take over a mid table club eh?.... Welcome to Spurs Jose Mourinho!!!! ;)

When was that?

I think its mostly fair. Though I do think Id take back the 'canny in the market', I think some of his transfers are actually pretty astute.

Would be nice to see him build a club more though. I have more of an appreciation for just how much he has actually done that (Porto/Chelsea/Milan) but its a different kettle of fish when its a mid tier club3

Back