• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

I think our current poor period and Mourinho being out of the game for a while is altering your memory a little. It is a little how I wanted Dier back in the team recently because his absence had made me forget how rubbish he is these days.

I think a lot of that comment comes from the immediate impression of Mourinho at that stage at Utd, and how Chelsea fell apart at the end too.

Both very negative and bad tempered.

Ive been reflecting on it a lot this last week, with the likelihood he would be the man chosen if it does come to Poch going in mind, and have changed my view to a degree.

I think the comments that are telling are these:

"After 3 years of Mourinho sucking the joy out of football, dire football, and watching the team go backwards year on year"

"Seriously, if Mourinho ever took over at Spurs my interest in the club would go on hiatus until he was gone. I dont think I could go through it."

So a basically statements that:

1. The team goes backwards year on year.
2. The football is dire and joyless
3. Your interest in Spurs would be put on hold if he were at the club are telling.

I think a period of poor form at the club, coupled with Mourinho being out of the game and showing a bit of charm and intelligence have led you to forget the reality.

I think the comments that are telling are these:

"After 3 years of Mourinho sucking the joy out of football, dire football, and watching the team go backwards year on year"

"Seriously, if Mourinho ever took over at Spurs my interest in the club would go on hiatus until he was gone. I dont think I could go through it."

So a basically statements that:

1. The team goes backwards year on year.
2. The football is dire and joyless
3. Your interest in Spurs would be put on hold if he were at the club are telling.

I think a period of poor form at the club, coupled with Mourinho being out of the game and showing a bit of charm and intelligence have led you to forget the reality.

I think what is telling is your focus on comments made when I was chatting about another clubs situation largely in ignorance of the absolute details (as is so often the case talking about other teams), rather than comments being made having actually spent time looking into that detail...

I think what is telling is your focus on comments made when I was chatting about another clubs situation largely in ignorance of the absolute details (as is so often the case talking about other teams), rather than comments being made having actually spent time looking into that detail...

OK. Fair enough. So the football at Man Utd wasn't joyless and dire. The team didn't go backwards year on year and your interest in Spurs wouldn't be put on hold if we appointed him. In that case maybe in future you should look into a little bit of the detail before you post such strong views?

Whoever comes in (and I'd much rather Poch turns it around) please don't let it be Southgate. This England performance reminds me of Spurs at our worst. Took the lead; pegged back; devoid of any imagination; Kane isolated and ineffective; Rose running a lot but on a yellow and one late tackle from being sent off; disjointed; other team looking likely to score next; etc etc

Are there any old threads on here where people give their opinions of Mourinho when he was managing Man Utd? (perhaps in the General thread?)....

I would imagine that some wanting to bring him in might be less effusive with their praise for Jose in those flags?

Not disagreeing with what you are saying, but you know as well as i do that on a Spurs forum most posts are slagging off other teams, players or managers, no matter what.;)

OK. Fair enough. So the football at Man Utd wasn't joyless and dire. The team didn't go backwards year on year and your interest in Spurs wouldn't be put on hold if we appointed him. In that case maybe in future you should look into a little bit of the detail before you post such strong views?

Im sure you research everything you post thoroughly, and should I (rather strangely) choose to go searching through your post history I would never, ever, find a comment you made that perhaps you feel differently about now...

If he became manager ever, it would require my greatest act of football hypocrisy since Redknapp. I am not below it, simply because I support us, but by GHod it would be a Linda Blair of some proportions and an act of disgracefulness on my part I'd be willing to accept I'd committed. He's a taco.

If he became manager ever, it would require my greatest act of football hypocrisy since Redknapp. I am not below it, simply because I support us, but by GHod it would be a Linda Blair of some proportions and an act of disgracefulness on my part I'd be willing to accept I'd committed. He's a taco.
I don’t think he’s a taco, he’s a bloody intelligent guy and a lot of what he says is to deflect from his players in the same way Fergie did and Poch does albeit in a different style. Despite his sometimes inflammatory words he is a really popular guy on the manager circuit, and I don’t just mean well respected but actually massively liked guy - many managers have spoken about how the Mourinho in the press is very different to the guy they know. And I imagine that is the same with his players, inevitably there are going to be fall outs but he seems to get that line between friend and respect with the players correct. Something that maybe is part of the problem with Poch, the balance leaning towards being more friends - especially when coming to making tough decisions.....

Good Post, do you not think part of the problem here, here as in this forum, is that we are being compared to Liverpool, City, utd, arsenal and Chelsea, when realistically in everything other results we are closer to Everton and Leicester?
Unrealistic expectations. We have over achieved, there was always going to a dip, transition call it what you like and people are peeved.
Don't get this right and we could be caught up in the mid table whirlpool again.

We have overachieved in many ways. However, we have put ourselves in the position to win just about all of the major trophies on offer except the Europa league, I’m talking about latter stages of tournaments; semi finals, finals etc. And we have won none of them. Liverpool got 97 points last season and didn’t win the league. They would still be gutted about that but they can console themselves with the CL. They at least have a trophy to show for it. We don’t have any trophies to show for essentially 5 years of being a top team and the rest of the big 6 have silverware despite all being worse than us at different stages.

I feel the one that really got away was the year Leicester won the league. We will never get a better chance to win the title. Whilst it’s true we were never actually top at any point, we had two chances to go top with a win; WHU and Arsenal, which were arguably two of the worst performances we put in that season.

regardless of net spend or our resources, the fact is we have been better than Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal by and large for 4-5 years and we should have won at least one trophy with this group of players. There’s a variety of reasons for that and it’s not all on Poch but that’s just the way it is.

Im sure you research everything you post thoroughly, and should I (rather strangely) choose to go searching through your post history I would never, ever, find a comment you made that perhaps you feel differently about now...

I certainly won’t deny or argue against his record winning trophies. I just think he’s set in his ways and hasn’t accepted the game has moved on. For example, five years ago it would be unthinkable to be so gung ho in the champions league, especially away games. 0-0 at home in a knockout game was considered a good result and in a way it kind of still is but football in general is far more attack minded, look the last World Cup and the CL in the last 2-3 years. Jose essentially plays chicken and aims for a 1-0.

Look at how he treated Luke Shaw. I’m still not sure what he was trying to achieve.

I certainly won’t deny or argue against his record winning trophies. I just think he’s set in his ways and hasn’t accepted the game has moved on. For example, five years ago it would be unthinkable to be so gung ho in the champions league, especially away games. 0-0 at home in a knockout game was considered a good result and in a way it kind of still is but football in general is far more attack minded, look the last World Cup and the CL in the last 2-3 years. Jose essentially plays chicken and aims for a 1-0.

Look at how he treated Luke Shaw. I’m still not sure what he was trying to achieve.

Maybe he just realised Shaw ain't that good. Hasn't exactly kicked on now Jose has left has he.

Back