• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-rejects-lyon-job-20547343

Jose Mourinho rejects Lyon job - because he wants Premier League return
Mourinho is waiting for the right opportunity to return to club management after being sacked as Red Devils boss in December last year

Lyon have failed with an ambitious approach to hire Jose Mourinho as their new manager, with the Portuguese coach desperate to secure an imminent return to the Premier League.

The former Manchester United and Chelsea boss is waiting for the right opportunity to return to club management after being sacked as Red Devils boss in December last year.

And RMC has reported that Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas contacted Mourinho about the vacant managerial role following the sacking of Sylvinho.

However Mourinho made it clear that his focus is on returning to management in England, where his family currently live, and Lyon will now turn their attention to former France and Paris Saint-Germain manager Laurent Blanc.

It is understood that Mourinho is reportedly eyeing the Tottenham manager's job as speculation continues over the future of Mauricio Pochettino.

The Daily Mail claims Mourinho is open to the idea of managing the north London club should Pochettino leave.

He has also turned down job offers from Benfica and Chinese Super League side Guangzhou Evergrande as he waits for the right club.

Tottenham, of course, were Champions League finalists last season, and started the season among the favourites to yet again secure a top-four spot - although recent results in both the Premier League and in Europe's elite competition have somewhat undermined their challenge for honours.

Saturday's shock 3-0 defeat away to Brighton followed last Tuesday's 7-2 thrashing at home to Bayern Munich in the Champions League, increasing the pressure on Pochettino.

And, never one to sell himself short, Mourinho has said he is waiting for a club "the same level" that he is as a manager.

He said: "I have to be patient and wait for the right opportunity and the right opportunity is one that is at the same size and the same level that I am as a manager. I have to wait for the exact right one."

No fan of the guy Mourinho but it is looking like a no brainer.
Levy can't afford to purchase a new senior squad.

I think if we got Mourinho in it would pay to reinstate the DoF position as well.

Give Mourinho someone to work with in getting players in/out. And give Levy someone to manager Mourinho/the squad with an eye on more longevity.

I think that buffer going both ways would suit both parties, and I think its pretty obvious we could use someone managing the squad over all (contracts, scouting, succession etc).

Truthfully, if Poch stays - Id still be interested in a DoF. I think the current set up has proven very hit and miss.

Looks like that time has NOW arrived under our current manager?

True, some are leaving anyway.
So do we give Jose a pile of money to replace them, and then replace them again in two years time when he's fudged off?

Unlikely I know but if poch is going and we want a steady hand I"d really like ancelotti.
Would be tough, but I think we could tempt him.
Climbing into my asbestos suit, but I'm still behind poch atm.

True, some are leaving anyway.
So do we give Jose a pile of money to replace them, and then replace them again in two years time when he's fudged off?

Unlikely I know but if poch is going and we want a steady hand I"d really like ancelotti.
Would be tough, but I think we could tempt him.
Climbing into my asbestos suit, but I'm still behind poch atm.

Love what Pochettino did before 2019!
Wasted our CL final and our form has carried on from there.
Can’t see a scenario where he turns it round now

How much money you spend isn’t relevant - as has been proven here managing a few egos isn’t easy, and this is nothing on what the biggest clubs has to go through especially Real Madrid when they spend loads on their superstars. There is nothing to suggest Poch could cope with that, he doesn’t even appear to know how to manage a couple of players running down their contractso_O Jeez, this reminds me of the convo where some posters on here claim we have this great winning meteorology despite the fact we never win something. And now players that Mourinho coached to win trophies apparently aren’t really winners. Only could this theory be constructed on a Spurs forum:D....

Crazy really, i brought that thought up many times and got told that we do not lack anything. Proof is in the pudding or so they say.

Immediate thing that springs to mind is to look at Chelsea. When he went in there they had just got top 4 but were basically nobodies as memory serves.

On the rise, not at the peak.

He bought Makelele from Madrid, a winner already for sure - though considered past it by some.
He bought in Glen Johnson, Wayne Bridge, Duff, Veron, joe Cole, Mutu, Smertin, Crespo and Scott Parker too. Most of which were not winners at all.
He inherited Babayaro, Desailly (winner!), Lampard, Hasselbaink, Gallas, Geremi, Melchiot, Petit (winner!), Gudjohnsen, Cudicini, Terry, Mikail Forssell and Robert Huth.

From that lot I think there could be an argument he made several winners, going by the "character" angle I believe you are looking at it.

There might be the argument they had latent "winner" meteorology, but its ifs and buts. Jose got them winning things and made some of them genuine champions. You need only look to the way the like of Terry, Lampard and Drogba (joined later) dragged Chelsea to the CL win a few years later on.

I wouldn't argue with that but we are talking about 15 years ago. Does he still have that ability? I find it hard to find much evidence.

Love what Pochettino did before 2019!
Wasted our CL final and our form has carried on from there.
Can’t see a scenario where he turns it round now
I don't think he wasted it..... Liverpool finished the season about 15 gazillion points ahead of us and had beaten us twice already. I completely disagreed with the decision to recall Kane for Moura (especially as it would've meant there was no way Kane could be on the pitch if it went to penalties) but that CL final wasn't 'wasted', we just weren't quite good enough to get the job done over a team who were better than us that season and still better than us now.

Back