• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A decently argued 'case for Poch' here: http://thepremierleagueowl.com/low-risk-mauricio-pochettino-can-heal-tottenham/

Low-risk Mauricio Pochettino can heal Tottenham

With Tim Sherwood’s sacking has come the normal fun and games. Between now and whenever Tottenham decide upon and appoint their new manager, the football public will be drip-fed the usual tantilising details about which way Daniel Levy is leaning.

Louis Van Gaal yesterday, Mauricio Pochettino today, Frank De Boer tomorrow.

C’est la vie. Well, C’est la vie chez Tottenham, at least.

Van Gaal will likely be confirmed as Manchester United manager before much longer, realistically leaving Spurs with a flat choice between Pochettino and De Boer. De Boer seems to believe that he has achieved all he can at Ajax, whilst Pochettino’s commitment to Southampton has been in question ever since Nicola Cortese tendered his resignation at St Mary’s – with all due respect to both of those clubs, any concerted effort by Tottenham to reach out to either manager is likely to end in success.

Whilst it may be a little ‘Daily Mail’ to question De Boer’s credentials – and contrary to ignore his trophy-haul in Holland – the fact remains that he is untried within Premier League football and represent a risk to Spurs. There are plenty of good managers working in the game who are fundamentally unsuited to English league life, and De Boer might just be another one – whilst we need to discard the tedious ‘but has he managed a team at Stoke on a wet Tuesday night’ fallacy, it’s still important to acknowledge how different our domestic game is to, say, the Eredivisie, La Liga, or Serie A.

Being a good manager is one thing, being a good manager who is suitable to a particular club’s situation and environment is something else.

What Daniel Levy has hopefully learned over the past eighteen months, is that the morale of Tottenham’s fanbase is important. Andre Villas-Boas was never truly accepted by a proportion of the fans and Tim Sherwood was actively hated by a much larger number; Spurs may be in need of many things, but arguably the most important is a sense of unity. Whilst the team may have finished sixth in the Premier League this season and appear, within the context of their recent history, to be performing at a healthy level, bad appointments and in-fighting have cultivated a negative atmosphere and a disaffection which has made the reality feel worse than it really is. As a football fan there’s nothing worse than feeling a creeping indifference towards your team’s results, and that’s ultimately what has started to happen within these last few months.

Tottenham need a new manager, obviously, but Tottenham also need someone who is going to restore a bit of the enthusiasm which has been eroded – and that’s what makes Mauricio Pochettinho feel like the best option going forward.

In this age of oil money and Russian Oligarchs, the chances of the club actually winning something significant are fairly remote, but that doesn’t prevent the existence of a healthy philosophy and aesthetically-pleasing footballing ideals. Attacking football with an emphasis on the development of younger players? Doesn’t that feel – even in the absence of silverware – like a very appealing situation? And doesn’t that also feel like a reality that Pochettino is capable of delivering?

Maybe Frank De Boer is equally capable of providing that, but given that Pochettino has already shown how that his beliefs can translate successfully into the English game he must be considered the more high-percentage option. Spurs need to start heading in the right direction, and there are only so many more ‘restart and resets’ that can be tolerated before the gap between them and the top-four becomes a yawning chasm.

That’s Levy task now; he doesn’t need to appoint a manager who is going to provoke a quantum leap, just someone who is capable of moving the club forward in steady increments in a way that breeds some optimism – and given that it’s not a time to be taking risks, isn’t the high-percentage appointment to install a manager who has spent the last year doing exactly that somewhere else?

There are no miracles needed here; it would actually be quite nice just to see an end to the press-leaking, the bitching and the confusing football.

Good article, I mentioned a few pages back that we need to someone to unite the fan base, I thought that would more likely be FDB though.

That's a managers job to know the opposition to do the homework not say I haven't seen them much ;)

As for managers adjusting
wenger title first season
mourinhio title first season
ancelotti title first season
mancini second season I think
pellegrini first season
Sherwood erm maybe I will stop there ;)

the point i'm trying poorly to make is history has shown us a good manager can win in he's first season if he is good and he's team is good before pellegrini got to Emirates Marketing Project did he know the ins and outs and style of play for west brom ?

Did mouriniho know a lot about Birmingham city ?

As for the players not responding I cant fathom why any player would respond better to a manager with a average playing career and sorry I know some don't agree but a distinctly average managerial career so far or the manager that's won titles and cups in every country he has played in including Barcelona ,Ajax ,got to the world cup final as a coach 2 semi finals as a playerand captain of holland and in he's managerial career has already won 4 titles and 2 cups trust me every player at spurs right down to the youth team will know exactly who he is and what he has done.

Also when buying players from abroad do you want to play for the world famous name in football who is already generating good success or the bloke who's greatest managerial achievement to date is finishing 8th ? (that's not a pop at poch just the truth)
Maybe frank de boer is not a ledgend to your average fan but in the footballing fraternity he is already a household name been there seen it done it wore the t shirts out ;)

Sorry joining this late but Wenger didn't win the league in his first season and neither he nor Mourinho were top level players and yet neither seem to have had difficulties commanding the respect of players are building teams and proving themselves tactically

That's a managers job to know the opposition to do the homework not say I haven't seen them much ;)

As for managers adjusting
pellegrini first season

the point i'm trying poorly to make is history has shown us a good manager can win in he's first season if he is good and he's team is good before pellegrini got to Emirates Marketing Project did he know the ins and outs and style of play for west brom ?

As for the players not responding I cant fathom why any player would respond better to a manager with a average playing career and sorry I know some don't agree but a distinctly average managerial career so far or the manager that's won titles and cups in every country he has played in including Barcelona ,Ajax ,got to the world cup final as a coach 2 semi finals as a playerand captain of holland and in he's managerial career has already won 4 titles and 2 cups trust me every player at spurs right down to the youth team will know exactly who he is and what he has done.

Also when buying players from abroad do you want to play for the world famous name in football who is already generating good success or the bloke who's greatest managerial achievement to date is finishing 8th ? (that's not a pop at poch just the truth)
Maybe frank de boer is not a ledgend to your average fan but in the footballing fraternity he is already a household name been there seen it done it wore the t shirts out ;)

Sorry joining this late but Wenger didn't win the league in his first season and neither he nor Mourinho were top level players and yet neither seem to have had difficulties commanding the respect of players are building teams and proving themselves tactically

That is true I just looked he had a few months after rioch left but he's first full season he did

I did not say they had to have a glittering playing career but it cant hurt respect wise can it ???

Bnyf6DjIQAA5DyG.jpg

New update from Di Marzio (Baldini):

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calcio-...ochettino-in-cima-alla-lista-per-la-panchina/

Tottenham, Pochettino top of the list for the bench

Mauricio Pochettino closer to the bench at Tottenham. The London club is really convinced of the solution Pochettino, the manager of Southampton reflects the profile of the ideal sought by the Spurs. Quality of the game, and the management of relationships, the Argentine coach seems to have finally beaten the competition of the other candidates. Pending the final developments, Pochettino to Tottenham.

New update from Di Marzio (Baldini):

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calcio-...ochettino-in-cima-alla-lista-per-la-panchina/

Tottenham, Pochettino top of the list for the bench

Mauricio Pochettino closer to the bench at Tottenham. The London club is really convinced of the solution Pochettino, the manager of Southampton reflects the profile of the ideal sought by the Spurs. Quality of the game, and the management of relationships, the Argentine coach seems to have finally beaten the competition of the other candidates. Pending the final developments, Pochettino to Tottenham.

Better translation:

Pochettino is at the top of Tottenham’s wish list

Mauricio Pochettino is getting closer to landing the Spurs’ coaching job. The London based club is truly convinced by the Argentine as he meets all the criteria they are looking for- style of play and ability to manage relationships. It appears that Southampton’s current coach has defeated the competition. More developments are expected soon, but Pochettino appears headed to Tottenham.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/pochettino-is-at-the-top-of-tottenhams-wish-list/

well Levy certainly will not offer Poch 6 mill a year :eek: thats a million less than Wenger gets. Looks like Barnett is earning his dough for his client:-k

It's the Express. Along with the Star, it is just about the least reliable English paper.

I doubt Southampton are going to be offering Pochettino £6m a year. If they had the willingness or capability to do that, then Shaw, Lallana and Rodriguez would not be leaving either.

well Levy certainly will not offer Poch 6 mill a year :eek: thats a million less than Wenger gets. Looks like Barnett is earning his dough for his client:-k

Didn't we use to pay Redknapp something in that region? I remember he was in the top 10 highest paid managers in the world when he was with us. AVB was on about £4m pa

1. As for managers adjusting
pellegrini first season

2. As for the players not responding I cant fathom why any player would respond better to a manager with a average playing career and sorry I know some don't agree but a distinctly average managerial career so far or the manager that's won titles and cups in every country he has played in including Barcelona ,Ajax ,got to the world cup final as a coach 2 semi finals as a playerand captain of holland and in he's managerial career has already won 4 titles and 2 cups trust me every player at spurs right down to the youth team will know exactly who he is and what he has done.

3. Also when buying players from abroad do you want to play for the world famous name in football who is already generating good success or the bloke who's greatest managerial achievement to date is finishing 8th ? (that's not a pop at poch just the truth)

1. I'm going to ignore Mancini because of the kind of resources he had and spent to get that title. The rest of those you mention there are or were top class managers. You're grouping FdB with them and unsurprisingly you're coming out with a favourable looking argument for FdB. FdB hasn't proven himself to be at their level (yet) though, so there's no reason that he should be mentioned amongst them instead of being mentioned alongside AVB and Ramos for example or other managers that have failed to adapt.

I actually find it a bit strange that I have to argue to support the point that knowing and having succeeded in the (Premier) league before is a benefit for a manager. If you disagree with this you'll have to do more than mention a handful of top class managers that have succeeded at top clubs to convince me otherwise.

2. I think you're misrepresenting my opinion a bit here. My point was that FdB hasn't shown that he can implement his ideas at a team that isn't at or close to the very top of the league, or for a club in the PL, or with a club where he himself isn't a club legend. These are things that Poch has done. These are points in favour of Poch. There are other points in favour of FdB, like him winning trophies.

3. Obviously FdB is a legend, I'm not disputing that. But this comes back to a previous discussion I've had on here. Is this predictive of a great manager? Are legendary superstar players more likely to become great managers? I'm just not sure that's the case and thus I'm not convinced by the "he's a legend" line of argumentation.

Finally, about Poch's supposedly "distinctly average" managerial career so far. We'll just have to disagree I'm afraid. I've argued page up and page down about it so far. To be very brief, he wasn't hired by the (now) highly rated then chairman of Southampton because he had been average. He's not being looked at by Levy because he's been average. For a slightly longer look at his time at Espanyol I wrote a long-ish post here: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php/5606-Next-Spurs-Manager-v-2?p=545299&viewfull=1#post545299

To clarify, I'm no expert on Spanish football or Poch's time at Espanyol, but what I put together was mainly a collection of quotes from articles written at the time he took over at Southampton. I think those paint a picture that's very different from "distinctly average". I've pointed those out several times with the qualifier that I'll be happy to bow down to anyone with superior knowledge to myself or those I quoted in my post. I've yet to get a good response arguing for the "distinctly average" side I feel.

Back