• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder how much he improved them and how much of it was having three good players on loan.

In fairness as much as I like him Martinez would be of similar risk to fdb and poch
The biggest test of his career will be next season without Lukaku and co and Europe to contend with small squad if he comes out of next season having done well league and cups then he is the real deal and it will be pretty well un arguable

I wonder how much he improved them and how much of it was having three good players on loan.

Does it matter? Surely a manager is judged on signings too? Even if he wasn't to have complete control at Spurs still good to know a manager has good judgement. And lets be honest we tend to sign technically good players, even our defenders which Martinez would love to work with...

Does it matter? Surely a manager is judged on signings too? Even if he wasn't to have complete control at Spurs still good to know a manager has good judgement. And lets be honest we tend to sign technically good players, even our defenders which Martinez would love to work with...

Excellent post.

Pocchetino strikes me as AVB mk2, plays 4-2-3-1 against everyone. Southampton fans say he is a bit clueless when the opposition park the bus.

Pocchetino strikes me as AVB mk2, plays 4-2-3-1 against everyone. Southampton fans say he is a bit clueless when the opposition park the bus.

the way our defence played this season no one is gonna park the bus against us for a while

4-3-2-1 is supposed to be his preferred formation. He moved slowly to that last season from Adkins' 4-2-3-1 apparently

Last edited:

It is relevant when we are discussing his strengths and weaknesses as a manager. I have seen a number of posts on here where people have said that Martinez's coaching imrpved Everton. I was just wondering whether it was that or the loan players they brought in, two of which would be well out of their budget if they wanted to sign them.

It is relevant when we are discussing his strengths and weaknesses as a manager. I have seen a number of posts on here where people have said that Martinez's coaching imrpved Everton. I was just wondering whether it was that or the loan players they brought in, two of which would be well out of their budget if they wanted to sign them.

It is relevant so far as to judge a Manager on his decision making and ability to recruit. I always hear 'if X didnt have Y player then they wouldnt be as good' err what the ****? Excuses excuses. We have good players and look at us? Its about recruitment not just how you use those players.

Even if it is the loan players, it is evidence that he knows a players strengths, weakness and how they would fit into his team. He didnt bring them in on a whim, he got them in because he identified gaps in his squad in order to employ his tactics properly. It worked. My view.

It is relevant so far as to judge a Manager on his decision making and ability to recruit. I always hear 'if X didnt have Y player then they wouldnt be as good' err what the ****? Excuses excuses. We have good players and look at us? Its about recruitment not just how you use those players.

Even if it is the loan players, it is evidence that he knows a players strengths, weakness and how they would fit into his team. He didnt bring them in on a whim, he got them in because he identified gaps in his squad in order to employ his tactics properly. It worked. My view.

I'm not so sure that is an excuse, you could argue had AVB had Bale this season he may not have been sacked as last season we only seemed to win when Bale played well.

I'm not so sure that is an excuse, you could argue had AVB had Bale this season he may not have been sacked as last season we only seemed to win when Bale played well.

Yep thats true and I agree with that to a point but it was clear we were a one man team (whilst there were ten others who must have contributed the real game winner was Bale) In terms of Everton, admittedly I havent seen too much of football, but whenever I have seen them Lukaku hasnt been the stand out player as an example. Wasnt Delofeueueueueueue mainly a sub? I dont actually remember who the other loan player was... was it just those two?

Also Gareth Barry, who was pretty important for them, and Lucina Traore - not so much.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

I guess a manager's record with signings is largely irrelevant when coming to us, as Levy's continental structure ensures at most a head coach has an input into a committee, and then Baldini is sent to move down the list (from choice A to choice D and so on) until all the target positions are filled.

I'd say in this respect De Boer would be the favourite as he has come out and said he prefers coaching, not dealing with transfers. Pochettino is of the school of working under a DOF, but I think he has his targets, much more so than De Boer, which can be seen in him brining Osvaldo to Saints and this rumour that he has told Lallana not to sign anything yet.

That's one of the places Where we will differ I shall try to explain my thought process
the poaching quickly first ,I meant we gave him the shot at the prem not poached from another prem club and you are right if he came here and did well barca would be a real possibility if they wanted him like real Madrid hard to say no especially with personal ties but on the other hand would that not mean he was being successful at spurs already ?
2nd whilst I agree it is harder for players to adapt to premier league football bar the language it would not be for managers (completely different scenario)
A player has to adjust to climate ,language ,pace ,power ,physicality (did I mention rain ;) )
A manager has to have a system that is good and suited to the league (the Ajax 433 has already been proven in at least four countries) and be successful ,well if we are playing football like barca Bayern I think I can live with it.
I don't think he falls down on the Tottenham way neither does poch in fairness quick attacking football from both so ticks another box
Communication is key with any system ,getting your ideas across and getting your players and staff to understand and believe in the system any coach playing the dutch 433 well will already possess this trait as if they did not it would have failed I am not saying poch can not do this as I do not know for me he is just a unknown quantity I have no affinity with the guy because I only get to hear the translator and quickly become bored with it

as for obstacles It seems to me he just brushes obstacles aside I cn not stress how impressive it was winning the eredivisie with a squad of youth players against much stronger opponents realistically he should not have stood a chance.
Granted there was some level of implosion with Psv and Feyenoord this season but he stuck to he's guns and guided a poor team to the title
He has lost he's best players every year of he's term and still won the title every year since promoted from he's winning youth team to manager of the firsts.

he has done all of this amidst complete chaos with Cruyff and Ajax fighting legal battles and had to re create the Ajax system from the ground floor up after many unsuccessful managers (Jol included) dismantled it. most of us liked Jol and thought he did a good job here apparently frank was better and did what he could not.
7 years without a championship and he did it first attempt and has not lost it since.

I am not a expert on Dutch football but have a little soft spot after some coaching courses there many years ago so like to keep an eye and watch Ajax when I get a chance because I think the system is the way forward and how real football should be played and until somebody qualified actually tries it here My curiosity will never leave me :)

Cheers for expanding, I now feel a little bit less uninformed :)

3-4 years down the line if FdB has been successful, but not league title type successful and one of the super clubs (other than Barca) comes in for him you think he's more likely to stay with us than someone like Poch, Martinez or Benitez would be?

I think managers do have to adjust to a new league. Poch knows the clubs he'll be up against next season a lot more than FdB does. Poch will know a lot more about what works and what doesn't work in this league against those opponents.

Another adjustment for FdB will be between being at one of the absolute top clubs in his league to being at a top 4 challenger. I know you're saying their squad wasn't he strongest in the league, but it was still amongst the strongest? For the vast majority of the games he had the better players, right?

He will also have to adjust to being at a club where he isn't a legend, in a country where he isn't a legend. I imagine just his name gave him a lot of respect amongst players and the press while at Ajax? Would he get the same here? Will our players respond similarly to young players at Ajax to being managed by him? I'm not quite sure.

Just to be clear, again. I think these are points where Poch (or Martinez) look stronger. On other points I think FdB looks the better candidate, overall it's close for me between Poch and FdB.

Back