• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally I wanted Brendan Rodgers but once he went to Liverpool I flirted with the idea of Martinez but I was never 100% convinced if I'm totally honest. I saw a great deal of pro's for bringing him in but had my reservations and have to say that I believed that at the time AVB just had the edge over him in my mind.

Time will tell I guess, but I look to have made a wrong decision, albeit I'm not in charge!

I still think the jury is out on Martinez. He's yet in his career been able to sustain defensive solidity beyond his first season. Next season will be the one where he proves his quality (or not). Ditto Rodgers actually with the demands of CL football.

Last edited:
I still think the jury is out on Martinez. He's yet in his career been able to sustain defensive solidity beyond his first season. Next season will be the one where he proves his quality (or not). Ditto Rodgers actually with the demands of CL football.

I think the difference this time is that Martinez actually has some decent defenders at his disposal.

I agree, but to continue the analogy the jury is a lot closer to being back in regards to Martinez than Poch and FdB. And anyone where the jury is actually back reading the verdict that we would want would probably be out of our reach.

I agree that the question is defensive solidity. Martinez inherited a Moyes back 4 that has remained largely injury free throughout this season. Quite similar to when Wenger took over at Arsenal actually. How Martinez will do when he has to deal with fixture congestion, more injuries and putting together his own back 4 is still a question.

Yeah, infact all Everton's signings other than their loans are pretty ropey this season if you ask me. Martinez's actual signings... Kone, Alcaraz and McCarthey??? Absolute pony.

McCarthy wasn't that bad

He's played very well all season I think. Of all Martinez's signings I would say he is the one who has been justified. At Spurs, with Baldini organising the signings, would Martinez not be ideal to mould the players to a certain style of football? He took only a few months to have a David Moyes team playing some of the best football in the league.

All pointless conjecture obviously as he isn't going to be the manager

If true that should fit squarely in the "cons category" for Martinez as he not only signed him, he signed him twice.

Maybe that is Martinez' Achilles heel. Not good at signings.

However I would agree that McCarthy has been good. If fact I think there is an even better player somewhere inside McCarthy that we haven't really seen yet. I see a touch of the Roy Keane about him on occasion. He seems to underestimate his own ability though, a bit like Dembele actually.

A decently argued 'case for Poch' here: http://thepremierleagueowl.com/low-risk-mauricio-pochettino-can-heal-tottenham/

Low-risk Mauricio Pochettino can heal Tottenham

With Tim Sherwood’s sacking has come the normal fun and games. Between now and whenever Tottenham decide upon and appoint their new manager, the football public will be drip-fed the usual tantilising details about which way Daniel Levy is leaning.

Louis Van Gaal yesterday, Mauricio Pochettino today, Frank De Boer tomorrow.

C’est la vie. Well, C’est la vie chez Tottenham, at least.

Van Gaal will likely be confirmed as Manchester United manager before much longer, realistically leaving Spurs with a flat choice between Pochettino and De Boer. De Boer seems to believe that he has achieved all he can at Ajax, whilst Pochettino’s commitment to Southampton has been in question ever since Nicola Cortese tendered his resignation at St Mary’s – with all due respect to both of those clubs, any concerted effort by Tottenham to reach out to either manager is likely to end in success.

Whilst it may be a little ‘Daily Mail’ to question De Boer’s credentials – and contrary to ignore his trophy-haul in Holland – the fact remains that he is untried within Premier League football and represent a risk to Spurs. There are plenty of good managers working in the game who are fundamentally unsuited to English league life, and De Boer might just be another one – whilst we need to discard the tedious ‘but has he managed a team at Stoke on a wet Tuesday night’ fallacy, it’s still important to acknowledge how different our domestic game is to, say, the Eredivisie, La Liga, or Serie A.

Being a good manager is one thing, being a good manager who is suitable to a particular club’s situation and environment is something else.

What Daniel Levy has hopefully learned over the past eighteen months, is that the morale of Tottenham’s fanbase is important. Andre Villas-Boas was never truly accepted by a proportion of the fans and Tim Sherwood was actively hated by a much larger number; Spurs may be in need of many things, but arguably the most important is a sense of unity. Whilst the team may have finished sixth in the Premier League this season and appear, within the context of their recent history, to be performing at a healthy level, bad appointments and in-fighting have cultivated a negative atmosphere and a disaffection which has made the reality feel worse than it really is. As a football fan there’s nothing worse than feeling a creeping indifference towards your team’s results, and that’s ultimately what has started to happen within these last few months.

Tottenham need a new manager, obviously, but Tottenham also need someone who is going to restore a bit of the enthusiasm which has been eroded – and that’s what makes Mauricio Pochettinho feel like the best option going forward.

In this age of oil money and Russian Oligarchs, the chances of the club actually winning something significant are fairly remote, but that doesn’t prevent the existence of a healthy philosophy and aesthetically-pleasing footballing ideals. Attacking football with an emphasis on the development of younger players? Doesn’t that feel – even in the absence of silverware – like a very appealing situation? And doesn’t that also feel like a reality that Pochettino is capable of delivering?

Maybe Frank De Boer is equally capable of providing that, but given that Pochettino has already shown how that his beliefs can translate successfully into the English game he must be considered the more high-percentage option. Spurs need to start heading in the right direction, and there are only so many more ‘restart and resets’ that can be tolerated before the gap between them and the top-four becomes a yawning chasm.

That’s Levy task now; he doesn’t need to appoint a manager who is going to provoke a quantum leap, just someone who is capable of moving the club forward in steady increments in a way that breeds some optimism – and given that it’s not a time to be taking risks, isn’t the high-percentage appointment to install a manager who has spent the last year doing exactly that somewhere else?

There are no miracles needed here; it would actually be quite nice just to see an end to the press-leaking, the bitching and the confusing football.

Last paragraph of that article resonated with me. "There are no miracle needed here". That's true I think. If Pochettino can replicate what he did at Southampton at a slightly higher level that will be enough to be at least fairly successful I think.

At work so short reply ;)

Yes they have to sell all of them but this year and last at least 2 of the others were real favourites and yet he still won it
Last years was an incredible feat considering the squad he had

Also as I know a lot of people love a stat ;)
A career win % of something like 68.5
Not forgetting assistant manager of the world cup finalists

The man just reeks of success as a player and a manager and would it not be great tp actually get a manager with no ties to another pl club at all ?

That way when he is doing well he is ours not poached or on loan/stop gap

I don't think there's any less chance of FdB being poached than someone like Poch being po(a)ched. In fact FdB to Barca at one point or another seems quite likely if he keeps being successful. No ties to the PL also means no PL experience, on of the negatives about him.

You seem to know a lot more about the Eredivisie than me, if you have the time for it later it would be cool if you wanted to expand a bit on exactly what kind of challenges FdB has faced and overcome whilst at Ajax. What exactly it is that makes it an incredible feat, because that's not the impression I've gotten as an outsider and I'm frequently wrong about such things.

If true that should fit squarely in the "cons category" for Martinez as he not only signed him, he signed him twice.

Agreed and he does not want to work with a sporting director/director of football
If memory serves was that not why he did not want to go to pool ??

I don't think there's any less chance of FdB being poached than someone like Poch being po(a)ched. In fact FdB to Barca at one point or another seems quite likely if he keeps being successful. No ties to the PL also means no PL experience, on of the negatives about him.

You seem to know a lot more about the Eredivisie than me, if you have the time for it later it would be cool if you wanted to expand a bit on exactly what kind of challenges FdB has faced and overcome whilst at Ajax. What exactly it is that makes it an incredible feat, because that's not the impression I've gotten as an outsider and I'm frequently wrong about such things.

That's one of the places Where we will differ I shall try to explain my thought process
the poaching quickly first ,I meant we gave him the shot at the prem not poached from another prem club and you are right if he came here and did well barca would be a real possibility if they wanted him like real Madrid hard to say no especially with personal ties but on the other hand would that not mean he was being successful at spurs already ?
2nd whilst I agree it is harder for players to adapt to premier league football bar the language it would not be for managers (completely different scenario)
A player has to adjust to climate ,language ,pace ,power ,physicality (did I mention rain ;) )
A manager has to have a system that is good and suited to the league (the Ajax 433 has already been proven in at least four countries) and be successful ,well if we are playing football like barca Bayern I think I can live with it.
I don't think he falls down on the Tottenham way neither does poch in fairness quick attacking football from both so ticks another box
Communication is key with any system ,getting your ideas across and getting your players and staff to understand and believe in the system any coach playing the dutch 433 well will already possess this trait as if they did not it would have failed I am not saying poch can not do this as I do not know for me he is just a unknown quantity I have no affinity with the guy because I only get to hear the translator and quickly become bored with it

as for obstacles It seems to me he just brushes obstacles aside I cn not stress how impressive it was winning the eredivisie with a squad of youth players against much stronger opponents realistically he should not have stood a chance.
Granted there was some level of implosion with Psv and Feyenoord this season but he stuck to he's guns and guided a poor team to the title
He has lost he's best players every year of he's term and still won the title every year since promoted from he's winning youth team to manager of the firsts.

he has done all of this amidst complete chaos with Cruyff and Ajax fighting legal battles and had to re create the Ajax system from the ground floor up after many unsuccessful managers (Jol included) dismantled it. most of us liked Jol and thought he did a good job here apparently frank was better and did what he could not.
7 years without a championship and he did it first attempt and has not lost it since.

I am not a expert on Dutch football but have a little soft spot after some coaching courses there many years ago so like to keep an eye and watch Ajax when I get a chance because I think the system is the way forward and how real football should be played and until somebody qualified actually tries it here My curiosity will never leave me :)

He's played very well all season I think. Of all Martinez's signings I would say he is the one who has been justified. At Spurs, with Baldini organising the signings, would Martinez not be ideal to mould the players to a certain style of football? He took only a few months to have a David Moyes team playing some of the best football in the league.

All pointless conjecture obviously as he isn't going to be the manager

I wonder how much he improved them and how much of it was having three good players on loan.

Back